Chief Information Officer
Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
Provide visionary leadership for IT strategy of 1500-employee state cabinet level agency. Charged with developing and executing technology strategy, driving value creation and innovation via smart investments. The agency has experienced rapid growth in the last five years, including a merger.This resulted in a highly complex operating environment and IT footprint.Responsible reshaping the IT\business relationship, including those with external partners. Manage 50+ direct/indirect employees and contractors. Hired to improve IT performance in organization lacking technology innovation, technology governance, and information security.
Impact: Centralized IT function and drove innovation; Introduced a mature governance model; and Implemented electronic health record system.
- Raised IT customer satisfaction rating 18% in 12 months by establishing governance process.Defined strategy to streamline statewide operations, increase financial transparency & HIPAA compliance while improving IT infrastructure efficiencies and consolidating 20+ veteran information systems to a custom developed veteran information system as a single source of veteran information for the State and Counties.
- Significantly restructured and transformed IT organization. Driving a shared service model to reduce ongoing operating costs, including introduction of mature IT service management. Introduced capabilities that made IT a source of innovation, increased technology expertise and more effectively leveraged outsourcing.
- Developed a user innovation program, which spurred user engagement and a bottom-up innovation engine.
- Drove IT improvements through the introduction of several new technology services including, redesigning an aging website to meet the need of users; implementing telemedicine; and introduced flexible and scalable operations that combined an internal and external cloud to provide service based technology.
- Drove 8% gain in resident quality scores by directing implementation of agency-wide electronic health records system.Navigated agency initial compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which generated $15 million in Medicare and Medicaid in the first year.