R. CURTIS CLARKE
MBA, BASc (Industrial Engineering)
2 Van Kirk Place (973) 943-7912
Sparta, NJ 07871 email@example.com
President / General Manager / Vice President Manufacturing
• Strategic Planning & Revenue Growth • P&L Management
• Startups, Turnarounds, Acquisitions & Divestitures • Cost Analysis, Reduction & Control
• Continuous Improvement • Organizational Design & Change
• Team Building & Performance Management • Union & Non-Union Management
Accomplished President / General Manager / VP Manufacturing with over 20 years of executive P&L and multi-site manufacturing success in the U.S. and Canada. Results-focused leader with proven ability to define and implement growth strategy while driving operational excellence to generate high levels of investor, customer and employee satisfaction through a culture of personal integrity, accountability and mutual respect.
COMPAC CORPORATION - Hackettstown, NJ 2003 - March 2009
$60 million division of TriMas Corporation manufacturing insulation facings and adhesive tapes.
(In early 2009, corporate owner sold assets to competitor and closed company.)
Recruited to reposition and lead mature manufacturing company into strategic, profitable growth.
Directed 5 staff and 130 personnel.
- Expanded product offerings and initiated sales into China; one product alone generated almost
$1 million in third quarter 2008
- Divested $9 million business line increasing profit by 9.8% and winning the TriMas Financial Discipline Achievement Award for 2006
- Implemented Lean Manufacturing
- Improved on-time shipping to over 98% by reducing internal manufacturing times
- Developed safety program that exceeded OSHA SHARP (Safety Health Awards Recognition Program) requirements; accident rate reduced 40% in 2008
MACTAC (Morgan Adhesives Company) - Stow, OH 1987 - 2003
$500 million international division of Bemis Company, Inc. manufacturing adhesive coated products.
VICE PRESIDENT OPERATIONS (North America) 2001 - 2003
Led all North American operations including 10 staff, 5 manufacturing sites (union and non-union),
8 distribution facilities, Quality Control (QC), Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), over 700
personnel and an operating budget of $256 million for materials, labor and period costs.
- Reduced annual manufacturing costs by $4.2 million including $1.5 million waste reduction and 12% labor productivity increase
- Improved safety performance by reducing recordable accidents 35%; incident rate fell to 5.37 compared to 8.26 in previous year and the National Average of 6.6
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT/General Manager Roll Label (North America) 1999 - 2001
Managed the largest newly created Strategic Business Unit. Full P&L responsibility for
$182 million sales, 2 manufacturing sites, 7 distribution centers and 470 personnel.
- Negotiated acquisition of $65 million business line from major competitor, absorbing production into existing plant sites and equipment
- Increased operating profit from 5.8% in Q1 to 9.0% in Q4, despite industry-wide average price drop of 5%
- Created successful sales and marketing strategy capturing $9 million account
Led 4 manufacturing (union and non-union) plants, 4 distribution sites, Engineering, Research and
Development, QC, EHS and Purchasing functions.
- Drove purchasing cost reduction efforts saving $6 million in 12 months
- Reduced annual manufacturing waste by $600,000 and by over $2.1 million the following year
- Process leader for equipment specifications and vendor selection for $25 million capital expansion
- Launched ISO/QS 9000 implementation registering 4 plants and 3 company warehouses
VICE PRESIDENT & GENERAL MANAGER (North America) 1994 - 1995
Directed newly acquired competitor's facility ($70 million sales).
- Spearheaded product line and process rationalization to consolidate with existing MACtac capabilities; eliminated several production lines, supporting assets and two distribution centers
- Member of CEO's team to assess strength of mid to upper management personnel; implemented all recommended personnel changes within the Operations group across North America
PRESIDENT (Canada)1992 - 1994
Led $20 million Canadian division with full P&L responsibility.
- Developed new strategic plan to create sales growth
- Re-commissioned inactive asset to commercialize a new North American product
- Initiated and attained ISO 9000 plan for Canadian plant (first for MACtac globally)
EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT/VICE PRESIDENT OPERATIONS (Canada)1991 - 1992
Managed manufacturing, engineering and R&D functions (140 employees).
- Designed the restructuring of the Canadian operation to integrate with MACtac global operations
- Member of international (Europe, Canada & U.S.) committees for waste reduction and new North American computer system design
DIVISION MANAGER (Canada)1987 - 1991
Directed sales, marketing and manufacturing for industrial and technical product lines.
- Managed national sales & marketing functions and satellite production facility in Montreal, Quebec; sub-contractor of product line for U.S. military
- Targeted and obtained major U.S. corporate client ($1 million account)
Earlier career experiences include:
Sales & Engineering Manager, Production Manager - electrical wiring harnesses
Operations Manager - electronic power supplies
President - sheet metal fabrication
Productivity Manager - silver plating
Staff Assistant, Financial Analyst - natural gas public utility
EDUCATION, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & MEMBERSHIPS
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto, Canada
Bachelor of Applied Science in Industrial Engineering (BASc)
University of Toronto, Canada
Six Sigma, LEAN & ISO9001 training
Association for Manufacturing Excellence (AME)