Effective leadership requires careful attention to the "4 R's- rigor, relevance, relationships and results". And establishing trust within the team culture is the foundational core behind it all.
Jul 2005 - Aug 2014
Principal- Special Programs
Managed several programs; gifted and talented education, adult education, Licensed Practical Nursing and TESOL. Retired in September 2014.
- Administrated adult education program for students ages 18 and over providing literacy classes (two locations) and GED test preparation.
- Evaluated staff annually using BOCES evaluation and Civil Service process. Evaluated K-12 staff under newly revised NYS Annual Professional Performance System.
- Managed 5-6 budgets and monitored funding under two grants - federal and state. Successfully partnered with area agencies for DOL manufacturing grant and WIA Literacy Zone funding.
- Administrated the TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language) itinerant program. Worked with 9-10 instructors servicing K-12 students in a variety of school districts needing English assessment and instruction.
- Provided oversite for the adult continuing education classes. Examples include computer classes, heavy machinery/forklift, advanced manufacturing, medical and security training classes.
- Developed DOL and SED approved apprenticeship training programs for Plant Electricians and General Electricians. Established two training programs for area employers and their employees.
- Supervised Licensed Practical Nursing and Certified Nursing Assistant programs offering day and evening programs. Handled all functions relayed to hiring, evaluating and marketing on an annual basis.
Nov 1994 - Jun 2005
Gifted and Talented Staff Specialist
Successfully coordinated and taught a gifted pullout program in a rural school district. Responsibilities included:
- Providing instruction for over fifty students in grades 3-5 servicing two elementary schools.
- Teaching enrichment classes for identified and non-identified students.
- Testing/admitting new students.
- Curricula development
In 1996, students in the gifted pullout program placed third in the nation in the "Pringles Project"; a math and science program sponsored by LabNetwork, Cambridge, MA.
Promoted growth of the Western New York Gifted Education Consortium (GEC) to keep educators current on the latest theories and instructional practices in gifted education. Responsibilities included:
- Scheduling and facilitating business meetings and workshops.
- Networking with consultants and New York State Education Department contacts at conferences and meetings.
- Leading focus and study groups for participating members.
- Communication coordination and online mentoring via e-mail distribution.
Directed the Odyssey of the Mind program by recruiting and servicing teams from area school districts. Developed an Odyssey of the Mind "Team Workshop" to assist newly formed teams with skill development in critical and creative thinking while learning to work cooperatively within a team format.
May 1980 - Jun 1988
Received various promotions in the Group Pensions department of CIGNA; last title held was Senior Underwriting/Consultant for CIGNA's top 100 clients in group pension assets. Our major focus was to retain and grow clients using a focused, team approach and provide premier service. Later, I was assigned the responsibility of supervising clerical staff in addition to my normal duties.
Masters- Specialist in Educational Administration
Graduate of the LIFTS program.
Bachelors of Science
SUNY College at Oneonta
Minored in Educational Psychology
Student teaching- Schenectady and Burnt HIlls
NYACCE (New York Association for Continuing/Community Education)
SAANYS (School Administrators Association of New York State)
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Association for Gifted and Talented Educators in New York (AGATE)
National Association of Gifted Children
GETS Network (Gifted Education Training Service)-New York State Dept. of Education
American Education Research Association-previous member
Phi Delta Kappa-previous member