Miguel Cortines is Candidate to Certified Management Accountant, currently in the last year of the Strategic Leadership Program with CMA Alberta. Miguel has extensive business experience in strategic planning, corporate governance, budgeting preparation, and financial analysis. Miguel’s expertise also includes providing international trade facilitation services to Alberta organizations interested in promoting their products and services in Mexico and Latin America. Miguel holds a Bachelor Degree in Accounting (Honours) and a Masters Degree in Business Administration and is fluent in English and Spanish. Miguel serves as Board of Directors at the Canadian Council for the Americas – Alberta and is Founder and President of Casa Mexico in Alberta Foundation.
Jul 2010 - Present
International Trade & Management Consultant
Independent consulting services focus on:
· Providing management advice and bookkeeping services for small size organizations.
· Advising Alberta companies interested in exploring business opportunities in Latin American.
· Participating in the planning and implementation of international trade missions.
· Market Intelligence. Gathering and analyzing market information & customization of marketing materials.
· Documents Translation. Translating documents and marketing materials to Spanish or English.
Sep 2005 - Present
Chair, Operations, Website Performance
The Canadian Council for the Americas Alberta CCA-Alberta is the pre-eminent link between Alberta-based businesses and the markets of Latin America and the Caribbean. Through a variety of informational events and networking opportunities, its mission is to forge enhanced trade linkages between Albertan companies and countries of this region. Direct responsibilities include:
·Acting as Interim Treasurer/Auditor to supervise the proper preparation of yearly financial statements.
·Participating in monthly Board of Directors meetings as part of the Executive Committee.
·Planning and organizing business seminars and networking programs with executives from Alberta
companies and international visitors from the Latin American region.
·Overseeing the overall performance of CCA Alberta website as a strategic tool for the organization.
Apr 2009 - Present
Casa Mexico in Alberta Foundation mission is to build Casa Mexico, a physical and virtual space designed to create and promote all type of programs, events and activities to generate awareness, knowledge and better understanding of Mexico and Latin America among Canadians. Direct responsibilities include:
· Envisioned the overall concept of the organization including mission statement and long- term strategic goals.
· Participated in the creation of the organizational strategic and business plan.
· Prepared a project proposal for the City of Calgary to get support for identifying a suitable piece of land.
· Prepared financial estimations and pro-forma statements.
· Supervision of yearly financial reports.
Nov 2008 - Jun 2010
Economic Affairs & Community Relations Officer
Consulate of Mexico in Calgary
The Consulate of Mexico in Calgary has the mission of strengthening Mexico’s political, economic, cultural and cooperative relationships with the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan. Main responsibilities included:
·Responsible for overall office administration.
·Responsible for the preparation of monthly financial reports
·Responsible for the preparation of next year's budget.
·Responsible for processing payments to external vendors and suppliers.
·Responsible for daily cash closing including reconciliation of receipts and bank deposits.
·Responsible for the preparation of monthly bank reconciliations in CAD and US Dollars.
·Responsible for inventory control of fixed assets and legal documents with serial numbers.
·Responsible for monthly payroll processing.
·Responsible for identifying areas of opportunity for Mexican and Alberta companies.
May 2003 - Oct 2008
CAN-MEX Int.Business Connections
Responsible for providing consulting services to Alberta companies interested in exploring business opportunities in the Mexican and Latin American market. Main activities included:
· Opportunity Identification. Assisting Alberta companies to identify areas of opportunity in the Mexican and Latin American market, mainly in the oil and gas sector.
· Financial Evaluation of Opportunities. Working with the clients to evaluate potential projects in Mexico including the design of technical and economic proposals.
· Trade Mission Preparation. Participating in the planning and implementation of international trade missions and incoming delegations from Mexico and Latin America
· Market Intelligence. Gathering and analyzing market information & customization of marketing materials
· Documents Translation. Translating documents and marketing materials to Spanish or English
Aug 1999 - Jun 2002
Digital Communications Inc.
Digital Communications is a retail chain specialized in mobile technologies. Main responsibilities included:
· Responsible for supervising operations of retail stores.
· Responsible for inventory control of telephone and accessories.
· Responsible for reviewing daily cash control for each store.
· Responsible for monthly and yearly review of financial reports.
· Responsible for performing periodic product inventories at stores.
· Responsible for orders for purchasing inventory.
· Responsible for developing relationships with customers and suppliers.
· Responsible for negotiating contracts for new stores.
· Responsible for establishing and implementing manuals, policies, procedures and internal controls.
Jan 1991 - Jul 1999
Manager Administration & Taxes Coordinator
Excelencia Automotriz & Grupo Autofin
Grupo Autofin and Excelencia Automotriz are leaders in the automobile industry. Excelencia Automotriz is a well-recognized General Motors dealership in Mexico City. Grupo Autofin is an automobile corporate group which owns dealerships of most brands including Ford, Nissan, GM, Chrysler, VW, etc. Main responsibilities included:
· Responsible for the monthly preparation of financial statements to be reported to Corporative.
· Preparation of financial statements included detailed analysis and reconciliation of accounts.
· Daily supervision and control of cash and cheques received by General Cashier for general operations.
· Periodic inventory of new vehicles, used vehicles and auto parts.
· Monthly analysis and reconciliation of accounting records versus records of the A/R Department.
· Monthly analysis and reconciliation of major accounts payable to General Motors and GMAC Financing.
· Preparation of monthly and annual income tax reports.
· Preparation of special reports and statistics to GM and Corporative.
· Monthly review and reconciliation of banking accounts.
· Monthly review and reconciliation of general expenses and revenue accounts.
· Preparation of paperwork and documentation for financial and fiscal end year.
· Preparation of documents requested by internal and external auditors
· Preparation of financial budgets for upcoming period.