About Kevin James
Kevin James has made great strides with becoming known in the industry and becoming a well-rounded performer.He has had great success with his syndicated television show, King of Queens and his recent movie, Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Rich, TCM). Not only has James been performing in movies and television shows, but he has also been performing stand up comedy for over 11 years. James was ranked number 89 in Turner Classic Movies’ list of the top 100 comedians.This success is due to his ability to entertain many generations and relate to the common man (TCM, Mirage).
James will be performing in the city of Las Vegas throughout 2009. He will be performing at the Mirage Hotel and Casino in the Terry Fator Theatre.This theatre can accommodate 1,265 attendees, which is comparable to the SmithCenter.He has scheduled multiple shows between the month of March and November.During the month of October he is only performing on the 23rd and 24th so should be available for Colonial Week. Ticket prices range from $79 to $99.He will also be performing in Atlantic City in May at the BorgateEventCenter a venue with capacity for 3,700 attendees, again comparable to the SmithCenter.His shows are appropriate for attendees age 16 and up.
James’ current work is focusing on the economy.He has a great way of portraying dismal events in so that people can laugh and smile at the situation.In today’s rough economic times, it is important that people are able to escape from the struggles of life and have fun. (Mirage, KJ).
Financially, James would be less expensive to book than some of the more established performer options that were considered.In turn, the money saved by hiring Kevin James, could be used for other aspects of the weekend if needed, or used to offer a reduced ticket price.This is not ‘cutting corners,’ but rather providing quality entertainment in a cost-conscious way (BKS).
Reasons Kevin James would make a good fit for Colonial Weekend:
- Performs “regular guy” comedy that can appeal to all audiences (Mirage)
- Emmy Award nominee (KJ)
- Has performance experience in multiple mediums: television, movies, onstage (Rich, Mirage).
- Being a less established performer, performance costs may be lower (KJ, Analysis)
- Various film and television background and appearances has the benefit of appealing to many audiences (Rich, Mirage, TCM)
- James is a family man and plays that role in the majority of his performances, this will help George Washington University families relate to the comedian (TCM, Mirage).
- Has an undeniable charismatic quality even at his most inept, shambling and awkward moments (Rich, PCT)
- Cost savings from this less expensive performer could allow planners to use entertainment money elsewhere (Analysis)