Communications professional with substantial editorial and project management experience who enjoys working creatively and collaboratively. Offering a record of progressive responsibility as a communicator in higher education, non-profit arts, municipal government, and commercial environments. Ability to present clear and concise information in traditional and new media outlets.
Oct 2011 - Present
- Manage information gathering, writing, editing, production and distribution of research and economic development materials to develop newsletters, annual reports, PowerPoint presentations, web materials, press releases, displays, and brochures.
- Plan overall communications strategy, considering internal and external stakeholders, and the methods needed to develop effective communications and marketing documents.
- Manage the office's website, including content creation, updates, and maintenance.
- Develop and execute marketing plans for promoting the research enterprise and economic development activities of the university to internal and external stakeholders.
Nov 2000 - Oct 2011
- Promoted understanding of research findings and center accomplishments. Wrote news releases and features. Oversaw website content and design. Created displays. Monitored social media content on the center and its research and policy interests. Advised the director on internal and external communications strategy.
- Managed technical editing and distribution of the center’s research series. Edited books and authors’ journal submissions following style guidelines. Served as managing editor of the Iowa Ag Review, a quarterly newsletter of research and analysis targeted to the general public. Led a communications team, including a graphic designer and website programmer.
- Assisted in securing funding and support of the center. Helped write and edit special reports prepared for presentation to Congress and other benefactors. Edited grant proposals.
Dec 1993 - Dec 1999
- Served as technical editor of the American Journal of Agricultural Economics, a peer-reviewed journal of agricultural and resource economics, now published by Oxford University Press. Implemented in-house design and desktop production for cost savings and more efficient workflow.
- Served as managing editor of Choices, a quarterly magazine of “food, farm, and resource issues." Directed freelance graphic designers and illustrators. Personally designed several covers. Reduced publication costs by half over previous budgets while boosting design quality.
- Wrote news releases and promotional material. Oversaw website creation, supervised design, and edited content.
May 1983 - Aug 1987
Bachelor of Arts
Emphasis in publications management, editing, and production. English minor, with electives in psychology.
Worked on the staff of Outlook, an award-winning university magazine. Interned at a local non-profit art center.
In recognition of creativity, leadership, communications excellence and distinguished service to the profession and to ACE.