Innovative IT Executive with 20+ years’ experience specializing in technology for higher education.Experience in varied disciplines across Information Technology including Networking, Data Centers, Disaster Recovery, Information Security and Client/Server Application Development. Exceptional leadership, managerial, and employee development skills.
Jun 2015 - Present
Information Security Architect
Western & Southern Financial Group
Responsible for development of application and security architectures in alignment with business needs. Security lead on transformation program to modernize back office operations.
Sep 2006 - Jun 2015
Director, Network Engineering and Telecommunications
Responsible for all IT infrastructure functions for Miami University's main campus, regional campuses, and international locations including data centers, wired/wireless networks, telecommunications, Security Engineering and infrastructure. Responsible for a team of 27 staff and $5m annual budget.
- VoIP Implementation - $5.8m project to replace existing analog system across all campuses. Project included technology selection and design, training and deployment of 5500 handsets over 6 months. Projected completed on time and under budget. Recognized by CFO as one of the best run IT projects and laying the foundation to transform operations
- Implementation of multi-tier bandwidth model for residential students generating an additional $210k in income to the university over a 3 year period
- Involved in numerous statewide initiatives including Higher Ed VoIP initiatives, State VoIP initiatives, and Disaster Recovery data center options
- Served as Chair and Vice Chair of the Ohio Valley Internet2 Consortium during which time, was able to lead a change in financial model to encourage increased adoption across state
- Led team in long term planning in support of ever increasing bandwidth needs of university network supporting multiple 10 Gbps Internet/Internet2 feeds
- Served on numerous committees in support of the student body including Student Organizations Budget & Finance Committee, Traffic Appeals Committee and Armstrong Student Center planning committee
Aug 2013 - Present
Adjunct Professor, College of Engineering and Computing
Responsible for developing curriculum and teaching of: Introduction to Computers and Computer Programming and Introduction to Gaming courses. Consistently receive high reviews from students.
Nov 2003 - Sep 2006
AVP, Internet Network Architecture
Responsible for ensuring the scalability, reliability and security of Fifth Thirds Business to Consumer and Business to Business Internet connectivity. Responsible for a team of 4 and a budget of $1.3m annually.
- Completely re-architected Internet connectivity increasing overall uptime (from 98% to 99.99%,) security and maintenance capabilities without impacting customers
- Reduced overall expenses to the organization through improved contract negotiation and needs assessment
- Team lead in acquisition of new data center facilities and retrofit
- Served as Subject Matter Expert on numerous initiatives including Identity Management, Customer Portal Redesign, and ERP implementation
Nov 1999 - Nov 2003
Senior Network Architect
Responsible for the design/operation of LAN/WAN and Internet connectivity for distributed IT organization serving a multitude of industries including financial, banking, retail, sports teams and utilities.
- Improved network availability from 85% to 99.99% through assessment and redesign
- Developed and implemented new network architecture to facilitate ongoing growth
- Developed security operations function including process and policy surrounding firewall operation
- Led team implementing Active Directory and Exchange and championed transition from Lotus Notes
Dec 1996 - Nov 1999
Technical Services Manager
Drove technological, cultural and organizational changes for consulting organization during a period of explosive growth. Responsible for 14 application and networking consultants responsible for over $2m in annual revenue.
- Supported sales team in sales calls, RFP responses, and consultant placement
- Developed annual review process for consultants to drive merit increases and performance plans
- Developed in house training curriculum for entire consulting team of 50 consultants
Feb 1995 - Dec 1996
Manager of Computer Services
Phoenix International Life Sciences
Managed staff of 4 individuals responsible for computer operations for International company including network, E-mail, servers and disaster recovery.
- Member of Executive Planning Committee and Medical Review Board
- Reduced annual costs by $50k by leading development of application to automate reporting associated with medical studies
- Developed standardized PC images to reduce support costs and improve customer service
Feb 1993 - Feb 1995
Information Security Officer
Responsible for overall operation of data center and performing quarterly security audits.
- Developed disaster recovery plans for overall data center operations including server systems
- Automated quarterly security audit reports reducing time to process by 80%
Sep 1989 - Feb 1993
Responsible for data center operations and connectivity; developed policies for personal computer and network usage.
- Managed buildout of new 6k sq. ft. data center and coordinated move to new facility
- Developed and implemented security and communications susbsystems for field AS/400
Sep 1999 - May 2001
MBA, International Studies
Dec 2013 - Present
Certified Information Systems Security Professional
Jun 2013 - Present
Certified Enterprise Architect
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Oct 2014 - Present
Law of Data Security & Investigations
2016 - Present
Certified Cloud Security Practitioner
- Cisco Mobility Technical Advisory Board (2011 - 2015)
- Infragard Member (2004 - Present); Treasurer (2015 - current)
- City of Mason Community Emergency Response Team - CERT (2012 - Present)