Mar 2010 - Present
Mar 2009 - Mar 2010
Co-founded online media agency delivering website design, content development, and analytics to nonprofits and business. Working with clients to develop effective social media, interactive marketing, and fundraising strategies. Developing online brand monitoring and measurement services. Helping clients select the best web-based media tools to achieve business objectives. Managing full-scale project implementation of corporate website redesigns. Creating strategy and implementation program documentation for clients. Overview: Delivering innovative programs that integrate creative processes, analytical methods, and best practices for clients struggling to be effective in their online initiatives.
- Content Development: Consulting with clients to create strategic, personalized content calendar plans focused across all online properties that have significantly increased consistency and quality of content.
- Social Media Effectiveness: Conducting audits of client social network and online community efforts. Writing strategy and implementation deliverables that emphasize improvements to overall branding, content delivery, and customer engagement.
- Research Approach: Applying wide range of research methods including competitive analysis, qualitative interviews, and quantitative surveys to help clients develop stronger online brand presence that appeals directly to prospective and current customers.
- Business Development: Using social media channels and online properties to cultivate lead generation and business opportunities for new agency.
Jan 2009 - Jun 2009
Chief Community Officer
Served as initial point of contact for all community success stories and work with broadcast media on publication. Monitored online conversations and participate in them to build brand visibility and thought leadership. Produced articles and videos to communicate community value. Created member engagement pathways that promoted focused actions. Identified and engaged advocates. Escalated issues, observations, opportunities, and insights to fellow members of executive team. Overview: Developed online and offline community and management strategy for a volunteer-managed startup nonprofit.
- Community Strategy: Utilized community development blueprint to help organization identify platform architecture requirements, generate content strategy, and determine on-going community management plan.
- Market Research: Conducted audience surveys on community needs, compiling raw data, and building feature sets for future versions.
- Content Development: Developed screencasts, videos, and articles to help educate new members on how to maximize their participation and encourage deeper integration in community.
Sep 2006 - Dec 2008
Client Relationship Manager
Managed client relationships for book of business worth 1.2 million dollars annually. Provided expertise on building community engagement practices. Helped clients develop high impact email and web campaigns focused on cultivating constituent relationships through recruitment and retention initiatives. Created and delivered online marketing campaign plans that emphasized holistic integration with organization's systems, resources, and budget goals. Served on cross-functional company teams including the blogging team and engineering bug work group. Overview: Generated significant value and ROI for clients’ marketing initiatives through an action-oriented and metrics-driven coaching approach.
- Social Media Consulting: Developed marketing campaigns for clients that combined tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Google Maps, and blogs to connect with younger audiences.
- Multi-channel Marketing Strategy: Provided project planning and strategies to client base centered on uncovering donors and advocates by building permission-based relationship models for long-term organizational growth.
- Story-based Marketing Strategy: Worked with struggling clients to create and tell compelling interactive stories in fundraising recruitment appeals that increased donation returns by 15% and donor retention rates by 20%.
- Measurement and Analysis: Constructed measurement models and tools for clients to help them analyze their campaign progress toward budgeted financial goals.
Jun 2005 - Jul 2006
Director of Membership
Created and implemented marketing strategies and campaigns to develop new members and retain existing ones. Analyzed market data and trends to determine target markets. Consulted to volunteer leaders and Board of Directors on member development strategies, fundraising, and public relations. Managed a team of 4 with an annual budget of $350K, catering to member base of 6,000 worldwide. Overview: Transformed marketing approach for organization that lacked a solid marketing plan and branding vision.
- Brand/Marketing Strategy: Worked with staff and various stakeholders to develop organization’s first clear positioning, messaging, and strategy for member recruitment.
- Market Research: Compiled data from multiple sources, established procedures for coding results, created survey and analyzed data. For first time in 5-year history, association’s board and management were able to make data-driven decisions.
- Revenue Growth: Boosted 2005 revenues 20% by developing strategies based on market analysis data.
- Web Marketing: Increased community participation 15% and satisfaction 20% by developing collaborative online tools.
- Word-of-Mouth/Referral Marketing: Grew number of membership recruiters 13% in less than 5 months by implementing successful word-of-mouth driven initiative and creating recruitment toolkit.
Aug 2004 - Jun 2005
President and Coach
ImaginActive Coaching Resources
Started career coaching practice focused on helping early/mid career professionals more fully connect with their work and add value to their organizations. Used performance and creative techniques to coach clients on communication skills and problem solving.
Overview: Established client base through innovative, inexpensive web 2.0 and word-of-mouth marketing initiatives.
- Low-cost Marketing: Built awareness for widely-read careers blog, established strong reputation within the careers community and built a client base within 18 months.
Dec 2001 - Aug 2004
Managed 2 direct reports and 7 indirect reports with annual budget of $275K. Oversaw member relationships for international education association of 90,000 members. Accountable for member programs and services. Led member development, marketing, and other cross-functional teams. Developed new methods for testing product usability through trade shows and online forums. Overview: Turned around organization with customer service issues, data processing inefficiencies, a poor focus on member retention and an aging membership sector.
- Market Research: Amassed multi-source data and provided first ever set of statistical data reflecting true membership retention rates.
- Youth Marketing: Addressed issue of aging membership base by setting up e-membership and online initiatives focused on students/early career professionals.
- Member Retention: Boosted retention from 68% to 75% in 2 years by working with customer service manager on service approaches and showcasing new products and features at annual conferences.
- Web Marketing: Addressed changing needs of members by developing an e-newsletter and worked with IT to transform outdated web site into a more user-friendly resource.
Jan 2000 - Dec 2001
Director of Membership
Oversaw member services for 3 accounts with membership of up to 1,500. Served as primary contact for members and public. Managed databases and led initiatives to increase growth, retain existing members, and maintain benefits and services.
- Low-cost Marketing: Enabled new association to stay afloat for 2 years on limited cash reserves by creating a viable online presence via website, attending trade shows, and planning networking events.
- Market Development: Grew membership base 17% in less than 18 months by implementing e-newsletter, improved website, and online resource database.
Sep 1998 - Jan 2000
Managed member relations and communications for a 2,000-member association. Coordinated initiatives to increase membership and member satisfaction.
- Web Design: Redesigned website to improve navigation and appearance that enhanced visitor experience.
- Database Management: Increased efficiency of data entry by changing underlying database architecture.
2008 - Present
Focus of study includes online communities and how organizational structures support or hinder their development.
May 2004 - Oct 2004
Leadership and Business Coaching
Earned Certificate in coaching with 120 hours of in-class learning and completed practicum.
Aug 1992 - May 1996
Minor in sociology/anthropology.