Chek Wee, FOO is currently appointed as HR Manager at Visa, based in Singapore. Prior to joining Visa, Chek Wee was HR relationship manager with American Express, supporting business leaders in Singapore. He gained invaluable HR business partnering experiences and grew as an HR practitioner with the help of a supportive team of colleagues and leaders.Having had six years of HR experience, joining Visa provided Chek Wee with further opportunities to gain a variety of exposure and pursue more challenges as a HR business partner. Currently, Chek Wee’s role is to provide strong HR support to the functions that he takes care of in the Asia Pacific region. “I hope to deepen my experience and exposure as a HR business partner so as to contribute more value to my organisation. Human capital management is the key in gaining any sustainable competitive advantage for an organisation. It is this belief that I aspire to make a real difference in people's lives by being a HR strategic partner, change agent and an employee advocate." Chek Wee holds a Bachelor Honours degree in Arts and Social Sciences, with a major in Southeast Asian Studies from the National University of Singapore. In addition, he is accredited with Graduate Diploma in Human Capital Management (GDipHCM) and Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA). Chek Wee is the current club immediate past president of Grassroots Toastmasters Club; a non-profit organisation that provides an effective platform for members to practice communication and leadership skills. He is also a professional member of Singapore Human Resources Institute (SHRI).
Jan 2011 - Present
HR Business Partner
Advise business leaders on employee management issues across Asia Pacific region.
Jan 2010 - Dec 2010
HR Relationship Manager
Provide HR business partnership on employee related issues and initiatives such as talent acquisition, engagement, compensation & benefits, policies, processes and change management.
- Partake in global HR project in delivering initiatives that promote Amex as an employer of choice
- Project lead for Amex first local campus engagement drive
- Conducted trainings on performance management process, goal setting, development planning, HR processes, e-HR interface and initiatives like flexible benefits and payroll to facilitate change management and support the global HR team
- Maintained rigor around people initiatives - goal setting, development planning, appraisals & year-end processes
- Collaborated with stakeholders in recruiting and inducting talents (average rate of25 talents per month prior to Oct 08)
- Change agent and coach for HR systems related to recruitment (Kenexa®), employment records (Peoplesoft), benefits (Mercer), payroll and leave (ADP®)
- Guided leaders on conducting competency based interview
- Gained management buy-in to create additional talent pipeline via external web portal
- Conducted performance counseling workshops for leaders and guided them in managing their top and average performers
Apr 2008 - Dec 2010
HR Executive - Relationship Management Support
Support role to HR Relationship Managers in managing talent acquisition, change management, employee relations and HR operational matters.
- Engaged in global initiative to bring forth a rigorous sales talent selection process
- Project lead for 2008year end process (performance rating, bonus and merit increment)
- Streamlined leader’s action steps for staff transitions (e.g. termination, promotion, transfer, relocation, etc). Action steps commended by senior leader and emulated across Asia Pacific
- Implemented flexible work life arrangement
Jul 2007 - Dec 2007
HR Team Member, HR Shared Services
Provided advice and governance related to local HR policies and procedures.
- Pioneer team member in driving and improving HR Shared Services processes
- Involved in streamlining HR Shared Services processes to achieve cost saving of over 1000 man hours
- Involved in the employee data consolidation and integrity exercise prior to the sale of American Express Bank
- Project lead in revamping corporate orientation programme
Jun 2006 - Jun 2007
Training Executive, National Skin Centre
Joined National Skin Centre (internal transfer) to align all learning and development initiatives towards excellence in customer service and People Developer Standard.
- Project lead in company-wide customer service audit, Total Company Learning Plan and related initiatives to achieve service standards
- Project lead for WDA WSQ course accreditation (monetary cost saving of S$35,000 for 174 staff)
- Coached all frontline staff weekly and developed e-learning modules for all new staff
- Received excellent testimonials from senior management for facilitating 2 consecutive annual company retreats (2005 & 2006) on customer service and teamwork
- Supervised two staff in training administration
May 2005 - May 2006
Executive (Learning & Development), National University Hospital
Executed learning and development initiatives which include training delivery, e-learning and innovation.
- Achieved 361 hours (equivalent of 52 days) of training delivery on soft skills (communication and customer service) in one year.
- Attained 96% training evaluation forms with equal or above 4 over 5 points evaluation rating for all training programmes facilitated
- Collaborated with stakeholders to plan/implement companywide e-learning system and create multi-sensory course modules targeted at 3000-staff.