CITY OF REDONDO BEACH - Redondo Beach, CAJanuary/2003 - April 2009
My duties as a City Councilman have encompassed a wide range of activities that serve the public including constituent service, strategic planning, setting policy, creating new laws, adopting city budgets, reviewing land use, zoning and other issues at city council meetings, resolution of disputes among constituents, conducting public hearings in a quasi judicial role, holding monthly district meetings to maintain availability to the pubic, providing city representation at community events, maintaining positive media relations, participating in intergovernmental relations and lobbying activities, providing direction to the staff to carry out the city vision, while providing leadership to ensue those goals and objectives are achieved and serving on several local and regional boards and committees. My experience also includes public speaking and presenting information to the community, media, stakeholders, and elected officials on various subjects using a variety of written and oral formats, and working with special interest groups to maintain effective relationships on issues usually controversial and complex.
- Successfully managed and won three competitive campaigns (general and runoff elections) for Redondo Beach City Council.
- Proactively launched a citywide grassroots petition drive to overturn a controversial land use plan. Successfully organized 150 volunteers and collected over 6,000 signatures in two weeks - 2003, which resulted in forcing the City Council rescind the plan.
- Co - founded and chaired the Redondo Beach Water Quality Task Force - 2006; addressed ocean and harbor water quality issues and made recommendations to the City Council.
- Identified and secured a water quality grant for $788,400 for a watershed diversion project.
- Assisted in lobbying Congress for Transportation funding, appropriation of $500,000 received.
- Successfully assisted in balancing five $80-92 million dollar annual budgets with over 5 million dollars in cuts.
- Participated in trips to Sacramento and Washington for legislative lobbying efforts.
- Initiated the arrangement of a grant for the Redondo Beach Farmers Market in the amount of $5,000 dollars providing 2,500 elementary school students enrichment opportunities through field trips to the market.
- Assisted in organizing a Katrina Hurricane relief concert that raised $18,000 dollars for Hurricane victims in the Gulf.
- Instrumental in the formation of the City's first Arts Task Force leading to the establishment of the City's first Arts Commission.
- Arranged numerous community meetings to deal with a variety of issues including controversial developments, pier and parking issues, senior concerns, and harbor issues.
- Led a Government delegation to China in March 2006 and successfully established a Sister City relationship with Zhangjiagang. Also met with high-ranking government officials to build business relationships and good will with Beijing, Shanghai, Zhengzhou, Luoyang, and Xian.
- Appeared on CNN Time Warner Local edition to speak on the following subjects:
- o Ocean Water Quality in Redondo Beach, July 2007
- o The Veterans History Project sponsored by the Library of Congress, August 2007
- o The Water Drought affecting Southern California, September 2007
- o Tips for avoiding foreclosure - October 2007
- o Government rebates and giveaways - November 2007
- o Additional appearances, December 2007 and January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December 2008.
- Transforming Local Government Conference / Leadership Innovation - Bellevue Washington, June 6-8, 2007; Presenter - topic: Citizen Engagement techniques.
- Pepperdine University - Southern California Academy of Sciences annual symposium conference representing the City's Water Quality Task Force - May 2006.
- University of Southern California - speaking on the role of elected officials in local government - February 2005.
- The 94th Annual National Day of the Republic of China, Taiwan; Universal City 2005.
- Speaker at the Leadership Redondo Graduating Class ceremony 2005.
- Master of Ceremonies for the Redondo Beach Veterans Day memorial services - 2004.
- Independent Cities Association - Board Member / Director
- California Association of Mortgage Brokers - SOLA Legislative Chair / Board Member
- Southern California Association of Governments - Elected Member - Water Policy Task Force; 2007-2008.
- Redondo Beach Parking Authority - Board Member since 2003
- Vice Chairman from Jan 08 to Present
- Redondo Beach Housing Authority - Board Member since 2003
- Vice Chairman from Jan 08 to Present
- Redondo Beach Public Financing Authority - Board Member since 2003
- Chairman from June 03 to July 04
- Redondo Beach Redevelopment Agency - Board Member since 2003
- Chairman from July 05 to July 06 / Vice Chair from July 04 to June 05
- Audit committee through July 04
- Santa Monica Bay Restoration Commission - Current Alternate Board Member
Various Delegate/Alternate Assignments held from 2003 - 2005
- West Basin Water Association - Delegate
- Southern California Association of Governments - Delegate
- Education sub committee - Delegate
- Independent Cities Association - Alternate
- League of California Cities, General - Alternate
- South Bay Youth Project - Alternate
Mayor Pro Tempore - Jan 1, 2008 through Sept. 30, 2008; past - April 2004 / December 2004
- Assignments associated with Mayor Pro Tempore
- LA County Selection Committee - Alternate
- LA County Sanitation District - Alternate Director