- [email protected]
To work with a team of educators who collaboratively provide an effective and exciting environment to ensure all students achieve.
To develop a love of learning, respect for education and a positive mindset with all stakeholders in a community school with a shared mission and vision.
Aug 2015 - Present
Redford Union Schools
Requested to assist in Priority School turnaround
- Develop the vision and plan for improving literacy progress
- Facilitate the implementation of effective Guided Reading
- Organize the MTSS ( multi-tier system of support ) to ensure every learner is appropriately serviced
Aug 2011 - Aug 2015
Hamtramck Public Schools
Achievement as the Principal;
- The school has gone two years without being on the Priority School List.
- Developed enrollment consistency.
- Organized and facilitated the RTI process to ensure every student achieves.
- Established PLC's and empowered teachers as leaders.
Highlights as the Literacy Coach;
Instructional Programing/Student success
- Demonstrated, modeled and lead staff to embrace and master best practices.
- MEAP scores increased to double digits in all grades in one year.
- Participated in data review teams at all levels within the district and implemented NWEA, Teachscape, study island and DI programs to assist with achievement.
- Provided training for all stakeholders on the new initiatives, including SIOP training.
- Observed and provided continued and immediate feedback for staff using strategies from the Coaching 101 series.
- Assisted teachers with the integration of all new technology to support student learning including clickers, document cameras, ipads and interactive whiteboards.
Aug 2009 - Jul 2011
Oakland International Academy
- As a 4th grade teacher in the building for one year, 85% of my students moved up at least one proficiency level that year and I was promoted to Principal the following year.
- Built successful professional learning communities with 13 brand new teachers and 5 veteran teachers in two separate buildings. MEAP scores increased in both reading and math by 12%.
- Motivated, supervised, and evaluated a staff of 40: including teachers, para-professionals and 10 other support staff. Staff effectiveness increased in 4 components of the Danielson domains in just one year.
- Managed and facilitated the daily operations of the two buildings.
- Engaged all stakeholders including parents, out of district support teachers and ISD employees to embrace and maintain high standards of student achievement.
- Mediated between stakeholders and the management company personnel.
My strengths include engaging professionals, developing open communication lines and motivating all staff to become personally responsible for student achievement. I am data driven and passionate about servicing employees in order to improve student performance.
Aug 2002 - Jun 2009
Greater Essex County District School Board
NOT JUST ANY TEACHER
- Presented workshops to implement provincial initiatives.
- Presented a seminar for aspiring leaders: Brain Research and Leadership.
- Taught core subject as well as music, drama and dance, physical education, computers and art.
- 92% of students were proficient on the Provincial test, up from 68% previously.
- Provided programing, administered formative and summative assessments.
- Responsibilities also included outside supervision, parent teacher conferences, PLC meetings.
- Coached extra curricular activities.
Sep 2000 - Jun 2002
Hortonville School District
- Assisted in the development of a more effective Extended Day Kindergarten Program which is still in use in the District.
- Researched and developed appropriate methods to test for students who were "at risk" in the area of Literacy.
- Facilitated 40 students beyond district academic expectations, 28 more than any previous year.
- Communicated challenges to parents and facilitated their involvement, with 100% participation.
Jan 2009 - Jan 2016
State, ISD (Wayne RESA), District PD
Over 800 hours of PD for priority schools including change theories, turnaround strategies, SIOP for ELL, literacy instruction, differentiated instruction and assessment.
Jan 2014 - Aug 2015
Instructional Coaching as well as Reading and Writing Specialties
Jun 2011 - Jul 2011
Developed the skills needed to make rigorous and rapid change in schools.
Sep 2000 - May 2002
Master of Science in Education Leadership
Cardinal Stritch University
4.0 Grade point
Master Thesis: Using technology to improve instruction with primary students
Sep 1997 - Aug 1998
Michigan Teacher Certification
Wayne State University
Michigan Certification Requirements
- Reading in the Content Area
- Teaching Reading
- Philosophy of Education
Jul 1991 - May 1996
Master of Arts in Sociology
University of Windsor
3.6 Grade point
- Sociology. The finalization of that degree was interrupted because I began my graduate requirements for a Michigan Teaching Certificate.
Bachelor of Education - BEd
- Primary/ Junior Qualifications ( this is the equivalent of k-8 certification)
Bachelor of Arts Honors Degree - BA
- Family and Social Relations