Watford WD17 4TZ. Mobile: 07970 531050
A dynamic branded marketing and research professionalwith strong hands on new business experience. Extensive strategic business planning, category management, brand re-positioning, advertising acquisition and retention experience leading to profitable new business wins.
Nestle – RHM – Taunton Cider – Smith & Nephew – Jeyes – New Zealand Lamb – ABF
In depth knowledge of all qualitative and quantitative research techniques into the consumer and consumer insights within food and foodservice industries. Strong record of new product development successes with the major multiples, supported by TV, press, radio, and online advertising. Experienced in setting, agreeing and monitoring sales income and priority based expenditure budgeting with full P & L responsibility. Above the line advertising budgets in excess of £8m with additional multi million pound promotional budgets and CRM developments. Strong team and cross functional player, continuous improvement and change management experience/training with PPCS.
BA Business Studies (Marketing Specialism) - 1st. Class Honours Degree
Diploma Chartered Institute of Marketing
Associated British Foods plc. Interim Marketing Consultant(07 – 09)
Reporting to Marketing Director of Westmill Foods - ethnic food company. (t/o £150m).
- Initial 3 month interim contract extended to just under a year with additional projects added.
- To produce a full strategic brand evaluation and brand plans for the recently acquired “Pride Oils Ltd”
- To plan and execute qualitative and quantitative research into ethnic consumers/customers
- Turnover for Pride increased from £57m to just over £87m in the 10 months due to pricing, brand focus and demand forecasting.
- Worked closely with sales on customer acquisition, and logistics to ensure continuity of supply
- Developed and gained early acceptance by the main board to a3 year business plan for “Pride”
- Implementation of the plan along with systems and procedural improvements (Business Objects & Sage)
- Significant product rationalisation – 142 sku’s down to 103 and packaging reduction with resultant business savings = £1/4m
- Product briefs produced in line with research and analysis of competitive set/new brand positioning
- 9 NPD briefs written and implemented in line with research and competitive gap analysis study
- Wrote and presented 2008/2009 Marketing Brand Plans
Previous Consultancy Assignments Interim Mkt. Consultant
- Brand repositioning project & launch plan development for Children with Leukaemia
- Developed market strategy as part of the acquisition team for - Wells Soft Drinks
- Worked on successful communications and promotion agency pitch for Bosch power tools
PPCS International New Zealand Lamb (t/o £140m) Director of Mkt. & Sales(99 - 06)
Reported to the UK Chief Executive Officer. Team of 11. The Primary Producers Cooperative Society is the largest exporter of New Zealand Lamb. Focusing on multiple retail and foodservice channels.
- Directing the marketing, NPD and sales departments for the U.K. This included staff recruitment, business development and P & L responsibility for the sales and product development budgets.
- Using TNS, IRI and FFP data, construct customer account category development plans.
- Doubled company turnover in seven years through organic growth and acquisition.
- Achieved and then retained category captain status with Sainsburys
- Numerous foodservice account wins and menu extensions
- Won the Asda frozen Lamb and Pork business post category management review, turnover of £6.3m
- Working with the New Zealand Meat Board, reinforced the UK New Zealand Lamb brand values via improved TV buying efficiencies and campaign direction. Agency pitches for above and online ceative work, PR and media buying. Media auditing via Billets
- Directed all marketing related issues i.e. corporate branding, NPD, web page development, new range launches, packaging innovation and trade advertising/public relations. Budget in excess of £7M
Jeyes Household Ltd (£95m) Team of 9 inc. the research dept.Head of Branded Mkt. (97 - 99)
- Controlled all Jeyes branded business in the UK managing both branded and retailer brands
- In addition to branded responsibilities, managed marketing, the commercial insight team, consumer relations and marketing services departments
- Instrumental in adopting a category management and efficient consumer response (ECR) structure
- Successfully launched Parozone Triple Action in May 1997, achieving 17.5 % £ share
- Exceeded sales and profit budget by £1.2M and £400K assisted by new fast track NPD process
- Packaging reduction and logistical savings through product concentration project
- Following brand review, repositioned the companies leading brand – Parozone.
- Completed service review and appointed a new creative agency, PR and media buying agency.
- Developed TV, press, web and direct mail for the re-launch budget of £3.4m.
John Dickinson Ltd. (£75m) Business Controller(94 - 97)
Largest stationery manufacturer in the UK. –. Joined as an interim manger - permanent position after 3 months
Responsibilities: Managed team of 3
- Responsible for developing marketing plans for Basildon Bond, Lion Brand and other leading brands
- To developed strategic marketing plans for all consumer brands and own label customer category plans
- Developed marketing strategy as part of highly successful company turnaround plan, resulting in planned sale of the company to the current owners (Spicers)
- Launched 4 new high margin added value Basildon Bond gift stationary ranges.
- Built promotional links with, Royal Mail, BBC & Disney for on pack and advertising opportunities
- Licensing with Disney and gained extensive direct mail/CRM experience
Smith & Nephew (£100m) Team of 14 – including research department Marketing Controller (90 - 94)
- Responsible for the feminine hygiene profit centre, £28m branded, £10m own label, the marketresearch department and new product development
- Promoted from Marketing Manager to Marketing Controller with additional own label responsibilities
- Re-launched Lil-lets with TV, radio and women’s press support(£3m) S&N’s largest brand, taking £ share from 31.9% to 33%
- Launched Lil-lets pantliners (the first brand franchise extension in 37 years) Achieved un-budgeted sales of £800k in year one
- Developed premium “dry weave” products for Boots, J Sainsbury and Tesco, achieving £3 million additional own label revenue in year one.
Lunn Poly Ltd. (Thomson Group) Team of 11Group Marketing Mgr. (88-90)
- Increased spontaneous brand awareness by 18% points with the "GETAWAY" T.V. campaign
- Budget in excess of £8m, approximately £5m T.V. £2m press and £1m on promotions
Taunton Cider (Bass Courage S&N) Team of 3 Marketing Manager(85 to 88)
- Brands Manager, promoted to Senior Brands Manager (On & Off trade) then to Marketing Manager.
- Launched "DIAMOND WHITE" which became one of the best selling premium drinks in the UK
- Budget of £3m T.V. - GGT and W.C.R.S. along with an additional £1.5m on promotions
Rank Hovis McDougall - Hovis Brand Mgr.(83 to 85)
- Responsible for highly successful relaunch of one of the best-known names in the country - "Hovis"
- Re-launch increased volume by 12%, turnover to £28.9m
- GP rose by 16% through establishing a price premium, range rationalisation and value analysis
Nestle - Assistant Brand Mgr. (81 to 83)
- Worked on Crosse & Blackwell quality soups, then on Branston Pickle and Waistline