Seasoned and successful IT professional with over 20 years of experience in developing cutting-edge applications, creating outstanding data warehousing solutions, and building high-performing, cross-functional teams for major international shipping and consulting organizations. Leverage business acumen and IT expertise to serve as inter-departmental liaison and optimize project delivery. Promote new initiatives by creating proposals and business specifications and evaluating technical responses and documentation. Proven problem-solver committed to providing superior customer service and maximizing company growth.
Sep 2002 - Feb 2008
Director - Pricing Tools
Drove development of pricing tool portfolio encompassing 12+ rate-making/rate-selection applications and analytic/data-driven tools to support sales and pricing activities. Orchestrated development and support of pricing tools from Scottsdale-based DHL IT group and locally built several other tools; served as IT liaison and directed escalations for end-user problems. Created comprehensive requirements documentation to facilitate tool development and enhancement and evaluated technical specifications. Collaborated with Scottsdale team to resolve design/build issues and oversee QA testing and UAT results. Supervised 2 business systems analysts and managed IT teams in matrix organization.
- Spearheaded development of Automated Pricing Tool (APT) to support 2003 introduction of 2nd-day and ground domestic shipping options and zone-based pricing tariffs. Built international team, leveraged Agile techniques, and created and tested tool within 5 weeks. APT replaced a multi-million-dollar tool built by Metreo, and is still currently in use.
- Launched the Revenue Enhancement Plan, DHL’s ground-breaking “dynamic discount” pricing program to automatically adjust customer shipment rates based on fulfillment of monthly shipping commitment. Managed project from inception through completion; REP and its successor program, the Volume Incentive Plan, currently enroll 11K+ customers and generate $20M revenue annually. Customers in these programs are 22% more profitable than same-sized new accounts.
- Strengthened relationships with top customers by developing Net Rates Tool, a shipping rate-making application for the National and Global Accounts Groups.
- Facilitated 2004 Airborne Express merger by creating Customer Migration Automated Sales Tool (CAST) to transition 1000’s of ABX customers to DHL service and rate structure.
Mar 1991 - Aug 2002
Sr. Business Systems Manager
DHL Airways, Inc.
Provided IT support and service to the Marketing and Sales Administration organizations. Organized the Sales Reporting and Commission processes. Built Decision Support function from ground up. Collaborated with 8-person technical team to support marketing, sales, and financial planning stakeholders. Early on, conducted regular meetings with technical group to define requirements and harness deliverables from DHL’s legacy mainframe. Later, established a true data warehouse with end-user query tools and provided information-user training in data extraction. Led multiple projects to improve Decision Support framework and infrastructure. Supervised a business analyst and managed 2-6 developers in matrix organization.
- Developed Eureka Data Warehouse pilot with <$500K budget. Eureka is a ROLAP database using a “snowflake” schema, and was built with the Informix DBMS. Defined data inclusion criteria within the database's logical design. Selected and implemented the Metacube middleware and BrioQuery end-user query tools. Eureka played an eight-year role as DHL's sole BI environment until 2004 Airborne Express merger.
- Led the IT project to launch ThermoExpress, DHL’s innovative temperature-controlled alternative to shipping perishable items using dry ice, a hazardous material in air transportation. Managed project from concept to rollout, ensuring that ThermoExpress could be consigned, tracked, billed and measured as a separate product within DHL's core Worldwide Package Express service. Developed an automated inventory system to track thermo-box assignments and returns by customer. Implemented value-added fees to reimburse DHL for thermo-box costs.
- Replaced legacy NOMAD sales reports with the web-based Actuate reporting tool. Published and supported sales commission and customized customer reports. Developed a parameter-based reporting module that enabled Sales Support to produce ad-hoc customer shipping reports, tailored to customer requirements.
Jan 1981 - Mar 1991
Founding member of an Industry-focused team that provided IT solutions, performance audits, and other services to D&T’s Public Transit and Local Government client group. Created and implemented diverse, $15K-$2M solutions for 12+ key clients by leading 2- to 12-person consulting teams. Liaised with clients to assess needs, identified additional engagement opportunities, and ensured superior project delivery.
Managed the following IT engagements:
- Development of customized Purchasing and Materials Management applications for AC Transit, Oakland, CA, to support the District’s vehicle maintenance function.
- Implementation of a Fixed Assets Management application for Santa Clara County Transportation Agency, San Jose, CA.
- Selection and implementation of the VISTA transit management package for North County Transit District, Oceanside, CA.
Sold and provided the following services to these Transit/Local Government clients:
- Pierce County (Washington) Transit - Strategic IT Plan
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority - Indirect Cost Allocation Plan
- Santa Cruz Metropolitan Transit District - Evaluation of Demonstration Automation Project
- L.A. County Department of Public Works - IT Requirements Study
- North (San Diego) County Transit - MIS Requirements/Software Selection
- San Francisco Bay Area Metropolitan Transportation Commission - Turnkey Database of Local Paratransit Providers
Other Accomplishments: Hand-picked to drive 18-month internal assignment to upgrade automated applications in D&T’s practice offices. Created budget module, integrated local engagement systems with the general ledger, and produced financial statements. Facilitated systems integration following merger of Deloitte Haskins + Sells and Touche Ross and Co.