Energetic, versatile and results-oriented business professional with track record of producing extraordinary results through excellent strategic planning, creativity transparency and accountability. Specializing in clients who seek values-based, ethical, winning approaches as well as boundless exuberance, unparalleled excellence and gonzo proactivity.
Available Upon Request
Regale friends with great yarns from working/sailing throughout the Caribbean and transatlantic; certified ski and snowboard instructor; experienced adventurer at home and abroad (conversational French and Spanish); rock climber, guppy class but ambitious kayaker; stand up paddle crusader, mountain bike ingénue.
- Wrote news and feature articles, edited submissions, designed pages. Primary beats: land use issues & politics
- Colorado Press Association award winner for Best Series: Three-part series on discrimination in a small mountain town
1999 - Present
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
- Founder and president of Brand Amp, strategic brand communications. Design and develop strategic brand-building marketing communications plans, trade relations, community relations, promotions, and grass roots outreach for clients that have included included Outdoor Industry Association, Collegiate Peaks Geotourism, Chaffee County Visitor's Bureau, Jackson Kayak, World Kayak, Outlast Technologies, Phenix Ski & Sports, Mammut, Buff USA, Professional Ski/Snowboard Instructors of America
- Instrumental in helping Jackson Kayak to grow to the leading seller of whitewater kayaks worldwide in just four years with little or no advertising and no sales rep network.
- Design and launch nationwide grassroots grow the game initiative for World Kayak forging relationships with national allies including National Park Service, US Fish and Wildlife Service, National Association of State Parks directors, President's Challenge and Rapid Media Publishing (US and Canada)
- Grew tourism promotion tax revenues from $200K - $300 in four years. Won awards from the governor's office for outstanding community tourism initiative and from tourism trade association for excellence in brand launch campaign.
- Experienced strategist and negotiator developing and executing ways to leverage resources to create and deliver impactful events on limited budgets. Client examples: Teva Mountain Games, the Olympics of outdoor adventure sports; Outdoor Industry Association Rendezvous, the annual professiona development conference for industry leaders in human powered outdoor recreation industry; Nielsen Media Group Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show.
- Advocate for adventure travel and sustainable tourism. Guest speaker at conferences in the US and abroad.
1992 - 1998
- Designed and developed action plans and budgets for multi-million dollar grass roots initiative. Result: more than TRIPLED the number of new players to the sport in one season
- Managed and allocated 300K budget - in-house and outside resources - to support key seasonal and regional initiatives and execute promotional programs
- Responsible for all facets of coordination of external and internal special events of all sizes; including site bidding, contracts, media, sponsorship servicing, etc.; 100 percent budget compliance
- Hands-on training and experience in working collaboratively with others to develop consensus not only within diverse groups but frequently diverse groups with dramatically diverse goals;
- Success at understanding and looking for creative ways to maximize resources to make events and projects look far bigger and more professional what may seem possible on shoestring budgets.
Brand Amp won a statewide award for launching a year-round tourism-focused art initiative.
Brand Amp won an award from HSMAI for brand launch campaign for the Chaffee County Visitor's Bureau.
Brand Amp was a guest speaker at Venezuela's first adventure and ecotourism travel conference.
Brand Amp has spoken at National Geographic's Adventures in Travel Expo.