I had a six months internship at Ritz-Carlton Abama in the Rooms division. Abama is a five star, luxury resort with 477 rooms in the Island of Tenerife, Spain, where I worked as a Front Desk Agent for five months, and as a Housekeeping Supervisor for one month.
As a Front Desk agent, the main duties were:
- Welcome the arriving guests with a genuine smile, engage with them during the check-in, and give information about the hotel in a pleasant way;
- Engage with guests in the lobby area and try to find out any subtle preference that may lead to guest satisfaction;
- Handle complaints and solve problems that guests may experience during their stay;
- Take decisions that positively impact the guest’s satisfaction;
- Assist the guests with any needs or preferences they may have;
- Handle inter-departmental calls and answer e-mails and inquiries about the hotel.
I worked, as well, as a Personal Concierge in a more exclusive part of the hotel, for two weeks. As a Personal Concierge I did more personalized check-ins, personalized food and drinks service by the pool and provided guests with information about the hotel, island and attractions on the surrounding areas.
I worked one month in the Housekeeping department, as a Housekeeper and as a Housekeeping Supervisor. Some of the main duties were:
- Clean the rooms and public areas of the hotel within extensive and rigorous Ritz-Carlton quality standards;
- Inspect cleaned rooms and decide if the cleaning complies with the standards;
- Supervise and motivate housekeepers to follow the cleaning standards.