Leaning Out a Supply Chain
Focused on implementing Lean Manufacturing techniques and continuous improvement projects.
- Collaborated with upstream suppliers in a veriticaly integrated business to eliminate in-market inventory by 32% ($ 2,400,000) and reduce mill lead times from three weeks to one week. This pilot project was later replicated throughout the business.
Award Winning Cost Reductions
Personally received the Circle of Excellence Award for innovation, integrity, customer focus and performance.
- Led a finance & planning team which had previously supported two facilities to expand their scope of responsibility to support four facilities. Through cross training, eliimination of non-value added work, and improvements to process reliability, this team of three clerks was able to do that work that had previously required ten people. Annual labor savings: $357,000
- Through a Lean assessment, identified and implemented a tactical improvement to internal pricing policies which eliminated $212,000 of non-value added work.
Financial Analysis and Controls
Managed inventory control, key performance indicators, capital projects, financial planning, budgeting, and safety for multiple distribution sites.
- Reduced physical inventory processing time by 50% - 75%.
- Improved physical inventory accuracy by 73% with no incremental investment.
- Developed a model to rank customers and products by profitability. Then led changes to improve profitability.
Mentored operations managers at multiple sites to improve safety performance, inventory controls, logistics efficiency, scrap rates, and productivity.
- Renegotiated a dedicated third party logistics provider's contract to save $100,000 annually while improving service rates.
- Coordinated inventory across sites to improve turns and reduce dead stock.
Leading an Expansion
Expanded the geographic reach of a Southern California manufacturer by moving one production line to Southern Oregon, creating a satellite facility.
- Managed the construction, start-up and staffing of a greenfield facility.
- Developed a pre-screening process which led to a 3-year retention rate of 100%.
- Outsourced inefficient operations to save $120,000 annually.
- Instituted, trained and led Self Directed Work Teams.
Managing Manufacturing Operations
Managed production at International Paper's largest label printing facilities.
- Introduced Six Sigma tools to improve quality and reduce customer complaints.
- Addressed unsatisfactory downtime by developing a "Pay-for-Skills" maintenance training program.
Manufacturing Facility Start Up
Part of an elite team which started up a new a folding carton facility with five production lines.
- Deemed the most successful startup in the history of the company, all five production lines were running at full capacity ten months ahead of schedule.