Coventry Health Care, Inc. 2007-present
Sixth Largest Health Insurance Company-$10 Billion
Vice President and General Manager, Medicare Operations
Leader of $540 million dollar Medicare Advantage division with over 53,000 members in 40 counties. P&L responsibility of programs for the largest CCP program for Coventry. Oversight of strategic planning, budgeting, sales, marketing, product design and compliance. Accountability for all aspects of HMO/PPO programs including revenue management, network development, CMS filings, compliance complaints, CMS audits and DOI complaints. Total reporting structure of 30 including three directors.
- Average 20% growth two annual seasons in a mature market.
- Recipient of Coventry’s 2009 President’s Council Award for the top GM in the country. Given to the General Manager/VP whose plan has the highest profitability while exceeding plan sales quota.
- While under my direction, HealthAmerica was named the 18th Best Medicare Plan in the Nation by US News & World Report. Tied for 2nd best in the state and beat the dominant carrier in the area.
- Team achieved 117% of plan membership budget with over double new enrollments for previous period in a extremely competitive market.
- Designed and priced 29 products in two states to increase market size by 40% and improve profitability.
- Designed and launched ultra-premium Medicare Advantage PPO product to upgrade brand image and to pursue new niche market.
- Built relationships with key national distribution partners including Coventry’s largest.
- Increased revenue by millions of dollars by implementing a revenue management program.
Eleventh Largest Health Insurance Company - $9 Billion
Director, Sales & Marketing
Highmark Senior Products, $2.9 Billion Division
Sales and marketing leader for new and existing programs totaling over 450,000 members and $2.9 billion in annual revenue. Budgets up to $36 million including $25 million of advertising. Oversee entire sales and marketing departments including three managers and their staffs of 36 employees and two outside call centers totaling over 120 workers. Manage full spectrum of media including image TV, direct response TV, direct mail, image and direct response radio, newspaper ROP, newspaper FSIs, community papers and retail locations.
- Added over $268 million in annual revenue and 115,000 new members in three months in a highly competitive market.
- Highly effective media spokesperson including during high profile 40% increase price increase crisis and numerous industry speaking engagements.
- Created, from scratch, a new broker channel representing 15% of new business in one year with no major compliance issues or violations.
- Successfully managed competing distribution channels including direct response, outside sales and broker sales with both group and direct to consumer.
- Spearheaded negotiations to craft a multi-dimensional corporate strategic alliance with the largest grocery and pharmacy chain in the region and then executed on key tactics to success.
- Led highly effective $14 million 10 week advertising blitz campaign to assure market share growth in the face of aggressively priced competition.
- Launched groundbreaking, innovative, and effective marketing programs to explain complex products including 30 minute radio infomercials, workshop formatted meetings, staffed mall kiosks and unstaffed pharmacy phone kiosks.
- Implemented internet program to allow members to manage pharmaceutical costs.
- Used industry networking to initiate marketing alliance with the largest national pharmacy chain to market specialty product in semi-exclusive channel.
- Mentored two newly promoted sales managers to highly successful performance.
Matthews International Corporation1999-2005
NASDAQ traded $900 million manufacturing corporation – S&P Mid Cap 400
Vice President, Sales & Marketing 2002-2005
The York Group, 2nd largest casket manufacturer in NorthAmerica
Top sales and marketing leader of a $118 million consumer durables division. General management of entire sales, marketing and customer service departments including domestic and international sales and all aspects of merchandising, advertising, pricing, and public relations. Oversaw all divisional sales and marketing strategic planning and implementation teams.
- Full P & L responsibility for three cost centers totaling over $16 million.
- High profile position with extensive industry speaking engagements.
- Dramatically increased market share by consistently increasing sales volume while all competitors suffered decreased sales in a shrinking industry.
- Grew direct sales region in record breaking rate of 40% per year for three consecutive years through aggressive pricing, the initiation of a new marketing campaign, upgrading the sales force, enhancing customer service, closing anchor accounts, rebuilding damaged relationships with trade associations, and improving product delivery.
- Birthed a new five state direct sales region from a $0 to $6.2 million per year run-rate in less than two months including pricing, discount programs, distribution and rebranding.
- Organically grew business through authorized distributors by over $9 million in one year in a declining market by redesigning pricing systems and increasing marketing support.
- Increased sales over $15 million in one year in a shrinking market while cutting overhead.
- Spearheaded negotiations for licensure agreements and strategic alliances.
- Significantly reduced operating costs by changing fulfillment logistics and streamlining operations through outsourcing.
- Repositioned brand image throughthe introduction of innovative ultra-luxury products.
- Negotiated acquisitions and was key member of integration teams.
National Sales Manager 1999-2002
Matthews Bronze, Consumer Products - Metals
Total sales responsibility for a $140 million industry leader. Management of sales force of 23 regional managers and inside sales representatives. Planned and executed national sales meetings.
- High profile position with extensive industry speaking engagements.
- Aggressively merged competing sales forces to reduce costs by more than 70% with no loss of business as key player in acquisition implementation team.
- Reduced turnover rate to below 5% by instituting rep monitoring protocol to insureperformance and increased sales support.
- Established test market in Mexico and analyzed market opportunity
- Managed multiple distribution channels including government contracts.
- Maintained margins through negotiation and creative discounting.
- Successfully redesigned sales incentive program which stabilized costswhile significantlyincreased effectiveness.
- Organized international sales meeting in Parma, Italy.
- Promoted to VP of newly acquired division.
American Financial Group 1995-1999
Top 20 Property and Casualty Insurance Carrier
Regional Sales Manager 1997-1999
Recruited, hired, trained and led six to ten marketing reps in a two to six state region. Responsible for profitable management of agency plant including appointment and cancellation. Planned and executed regional and national sales meetings.
- Achieved 125% of goals for sales and profitability.
- Increased sales team productivity and profitability by 60% in less than six months.
- Dramatically improved company image with broker community.
- Increased marketing representative and agency production while reducing expenses by redesigning objectives, incentive programs and compensation programs.
- Successfully represented organization to local industry community.
Marketed personal and commercial products to independent agents in a four state region. Achieved property and casualty producer license and completed four parts of the CPCU designation.
- Increased production over 30% in six months.
- Promoted to Regional Sales Manager for superior performance.