Vice President of Sales and Marketing (Head of Healthcare Americas)
Leading global breast pump manufacturer with a start-up division (Healthcare Americas) that operates in wound care, cardiothoracic care and general surgery (acute, sub-acute and DME/med-surg distribution)
Operating profit and loss responsibility for a new divisional unit manufacturing and selling capital equipment and related disposables in wound care and cardiothoracic surgery across Acute Care and DME; accountable for strategic direction of US and Latin America; managed a $9M spending budget and reported directly to the CEO in Switzerland.
- Led the Division into the highly competitive, multi-channel wound care market on a direct basis, overcoming numerous obstacles and resource shortages to achieve a top-3 share of the $1B negative pressure wound therapy market (NPWT).
- Developed and executed the strategic and operational plans with emphasis on portfolio management, channel selection, distribution, pricing, sales planning, branding, marcom, customer service, inventory, and new product development.
- Launched multiple new products (capital and disposable) across our main product platforms of wound care and cardiothoracic care; differentiated through a unique combination of capital equipment (device) rental and sales.
- Set and executed branding strategy for the business unit and product lines through a total value chain analysis.
- Recruited a multi-functional team of 32 people; directly supervised marketing, operations, US and Latin American sales, product management and medical direction.
- Created a national distribution network of durable medical equipment (DME) suppliers and med-surg distributors through a customer-centric service platform, resulting in a 140% increase in new customer orders.
- Transformed Medela into a forward-integrated, nationally-accredited home medical equipment supplier (HME) that billed Medicare, Medicaid and other third-party payers.
- Negotiated and closed a million dollar technology acquisition agreement for innovative technology in cardiothoracic surgery with an upfront fee, royalties and ongoing consulting services.
- Collaborated with colleagues in Switzerland for prioritization of shared resources, primarily engineering, clinical research and regulatory/510(k).
- Grew revenue 55% during this time period while exceeding annual profit targets.