Over 20 years diversified financial experience including four years as CFO of the nation’s oldest publicly traded generic pharmaceutical company, four years as CFO of a ten thousand employee publicly traded healthcare services company, six years equity research at Salomon Smith Barney and Banc of America Securities and over six years at Johnson & Johnson.
Mar 2005 - Apr 2009
Lannett Company, Inc., Philadelphia, PA
Chief Financial Officer, Treasurer and Corporate Secretary (March 2005 to March 2009)
- Responsible for all accounting, payroll, billing, receivables, collections, auditing, tax, financial analysis, budgeting, financial systems, cash management and investor relations functions for nation’s oldest publicly traded generic pharmaceutical manufacturer
- Ensured accurate and timely financial reporting for both internal management and external SEC reporting in compliance with GAAP and SEC requirements
- Improved internal controls over financial reporting through documented business processes, associated testing and sub-certifications to ensure Sarbanes-Oxley regulatory compliance
- Implemented tax planning strategy including R&D tax credit and cost apportionment study resulting in multi million dollar tax refunds
- Responsible for Corporate Risk Management program
- Redesigned product liability, workers compensation and D&O insurance programs to improve level of coverage at decreased premiums
- Peformed risk based scenario planning analysis for Board of Directors review and evaluation
- Implemented early stages of a comprehensive Enterprise Risk Management program
- Responsible for company’s Information Technology and Management Information Systems
- Implemented SAP R/3 business suite Enterprise Resource Planning system including FI/CO (financial accounting and control module), SD (sales and distribution), PP (purchasing and planning), MM (materials management), QM (Quality Management) on time and on budget.
- Automated financial reporting process and decreased monthly closing from 15 days to 5 days
- Created fully digitized supplier payment imaging system that allowed improved management of vendor relationships and increased internal control over cash disbursements
- Responsible for all corporate Human Resource management including hiring, firing, recruiting, retention, motivation and development of company employees
- Established variable pay for performance compensation plan and performance appraisal process
- Recommended to Board of Directors and implemented Long Term Incentive Plan including stock options and performance based restricted stock
- Responsible for Strategic Planning process and communicating Corporate Objectives to all employees
- Established strategic planning framework including Mission, Vision, Core Values, SWOT, corporate goals and objectives, key strategic initiatives, Annual Operating Plan and balanced scorecard to measure and communicate results
- Jointly responsible, along with CEO, for all functions traditionally carried out by General Counsel including contract administration, SEC compliance and litigation management
- Key role in mergers and acquistions, joint ventures and strategic partnerships
- Negotiated terms and conditions for the largest acquisition in company history
Oct 2000 - Aug 2004
MedQuist Inc., Marlton, NJ
Executive Vice President, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer (October 2000 to August 2004)
- Responsible for all accounting, payroll, billing, receivables, collections, auditing, tax, financial analysis, budgeting, financial systems, cash management and investor relations functions for international publicly traded healthcare information services company
- Reduced Days Sales Outstanding (DSO) from 76 to less than 60 days while revenue increased from $360 million to $490 million
- Successfully integrated financial systems of three large acquisitions (total of $150 million revenue and 3,000 employees) including payroll, accounts payable, billing and general ledger conversions
- Successfully converted company’s Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform from JD Edwards to SAP on time and under budget
- Responsible for company’s national telecommunications service organization with annual operating budget of over $40 million
- Reduced operating costs of telecommunications service organization by over $10 million annually through process re-engineering and aggressive negotiations with telecom vendors
- Responsible for company’s $20 million capital budget and associated purchasing functions
- Secured several group purchasing contracts with volume-based discounts that reduced office supply, overnight shipment and computer purchase expenses by roughly $500,000 per year
- Successfully completed business process re-engineering projects for new business initiatives, including a $10 million service business and a $5 million hardware and software business
- Member of a three person management team responsible for all new business development, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic planning for company
- Assisted in the negotiation and financial analysis of ten significant acquisitions through 2003.Formalized financial analysis of M&A targets to include Net Present Value, Discounted Cash Flow and Economic Value Added along with accretion/dilution analyses
May 1999 - Oct 2000
Vice President, Senior Equity Research Analyst
Banc of America Securities
Banc of America Securities, New York, NY
Vice President, Senior Analyst – Health Care IT (May 1999 to October 2000)
·Provided equity research coverage of health care information technology industry including buy and sell recommendations based on fundamental valuation analysis
·Wrote research reports on companies in addition to topical industry pieces and marketed these investment ideas to institutional sales force and clients
- Interacted with top level company management and BAS investment bankers on a regular basis
- Engaged as sole advisor to CareInsite board on $2.2 billion merger with Healtheon/WebMD
Dec 1994 - Dec 1998
Equity Research Analyst
Salomon Smith Barney, New York, NY
Senior Analyst – Business Services Equity Research (March 1997 to December 1998)
- Provided equity research coverage of information technology consulting, managed care workers’ compensation and benefits management companies
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills by presenting buy and sell recommendations based on fundamental valuation analysis to sales force and clients
- Hosted Salomon Smith Barney’s First Annual Staffing Industry Conference with 28 presenting companies and more than 300 clients attending over three days
Salomon Smith Barney, New York, NY (continued)
Analyst - Health Care Services / Staffing (May 1996 to March 1997)
- Prepared earnings and cash flow projections for health care universe.Applied various valuation techniques (P/E, DCF, take-over analysis, etc.).Presented company investment analysis to Smith Barney Investment Policy Committee.Wrote research reports.
Research Associate - Pharmaceutical Industry (December 1994 to May 1996)
·Assisted Senior Analyst in the preparation of sales, income, and cash flow forecasts for 12 pharmaceutical companies.Prepared written research reports on pharmaceutical companies.
1988 - 1994
Senior Financial Analyst
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Products, Inc., Skillman, NJ
Senior Brand Analyst (January 1993 to December 1994)
- Provided financial counsel and support to Therapeutic Skin Care Brand management.
·Managed topline consolidation of all business forecasts and special analyses, including a comprehensive study of CPI competitors (P&G, Neutrogena, etc.).
- Prepared new product sales and profitability analysis, in addition to special projects.
Senior Analyst, Financial Systems (March 1992 to January 1993)
·Conducted a comprehensive process review of the financial, operations and marketing accounting functions.Provided re-engineering recommendations to management.
- Assisted in the design and implementation of an innovative client-server data warehouse.
Senior Financial Accountant (June 1988 to March 1992)
·Developed and consolidated income statement, balance sheet, cash flow and other required corporate schedules on an actual and forecast basis.
·Implemented Activity Based Costing process for contract manufacturing operations.