Strategic planning • Market research • Product definition & launch • Sales training • Analyst relations • Business development • Product/services branding, messaging, & positioning • Pricing/licensing strategy • Customer feedback programs • Technology acquisitions • Marketing communications
Objective: Experienced software product marketing and product management professional with a rich background in venture backed start-ups, mainstream ISVs, and established global firms seeks to help small- and medium sized technology oriented companies build measurable value by designing, branding, and successfully launching great products with memorable stories.
The challenge of creating new value within organizations has always charged me up. Over my career, both as a corporate staff member and as a contractor through my own company, I have been called on to define and build out the marketing and product management functions at more than a half dozen companies, varying in size and market focus, and covering such diverse technology areas as Web analytics; enterprise data management; data warehouse/ETL tools; ERP/CRM systems; software testing solutions; customer feedback portals; social media; and mobile device management apps and tools. Each situation has drawn on and added to my strengths as a creative and broadly knowledgeable software marketing professional, able to adapt quickly and effectively to the requirements of the product team and the business goals of the company.
I am known for building productive relationships with sales, engineering, and support organizations to define and deliver high-value solutions to customers. I have developed and run innovative customer forums and user feedback programs at three companies, leading in all cases to new approaches for gathering rich customer requirements.
Refer to Basil's LinkedIn profile for more details....
Jun 2007 - Present
Independent Marketing & Product Management Consultant
Founder and principal of Marketstreams, a marketing planning and development firm that teams with technology-oriented companies to design, target, promote, and deliver great products with memorable stories.
Recent client engagements include:
Atalasoft - Easthampton, MA - Marketing communications architecture (Q1, 2010)
Partnered with Clearly Creative, Inc., a Boston based marketing firm, to develop a comprehensive product communications architecture for Atalasoft, a leading supplier of document imaging, viewing, and processing products over the Internet. Employing an intensive on-site workshop approach, worked with the company's management team to identify target markets and audience types, key competitors, product differentiation and positioning, core messaging, sales strategies, and market introduction options.
Enterprise Mobile, Inc. - Watertown, MA - Product Management consulting (June, 2008 - Feb., 2009)
Defined new product management function for Enterprise Mobile, a mobile communications services company. Built infrastructure, plans, and deliverables for company's first commercial Windows Mobile device management software offerings, EMprovise and File Upload. Orchestrated two successful product launches in Sept., 2008 and Jan., 2009.
Vovici Corp. - Rockland, MA - Product Management consulting (2007 - 2008)
Hired to develop product requirements and delivery plans for new and innovative Web-based community feedback portal. Product launched successfully in Feb., 2008.
Scribe Software - Bedford, NH - Product Marketing consulting (2007)
Conducted a series of customer and partner interviews to quantify the effectiveness of Scribe's product collateral. Provided analysis and recommendations for improvements. Also, based on conversations with customers, created a set of 30 product testimonials as part of a certification process Scribe was undertaking with Salesforce.com.
Aug 2006 - Feb 2008
VP, Product Management
Built the company's product management function from the ground up. Performed due diligence on product functionality, product pricing and licensing, competitive positioning, customer satisfaction, and product messaging.
Developed detailed product functional requirements and performed all product management functions related to the launch of a major new portal-based software product supporting key BPM collaboration functions. Worked closely with Development to elaborate these requirements into a set of detailed functional specifications.
Created and documented a focused, metrics-based Beta program in support of a Q1 '08 product launch.
- Merged all product management functions across the recently acquired WebSurveyor and Perseus product lines, including product planning and roadmap development, messaging, pricing, and product lifecycle functions.
- Led the definition and rollout of the company's next generation enterprise feedback management (EFM) platform, combining the best of two industry-leading EFM products into a single, unified set of hosted solutions offerings.
- Rationalized a pricing model and packaged add-on products and services to boost average sale value for tools and enterprise sales.
- Defined requirements and deployment strategy for company's flagship enterprise feedback management product, SurveySolutions/EFM.
Oct 2005 - Jul 2006
VP, Marketing, Product Management & Business Development
Hired to define and build out all marketing, product management, and business development functions for a fast-growing and highly innovative Web 2.0 company focused on application usage analytics for AJAX-enabled Rich Internet Applications. Visible Measures won early business from major high technology companies, including Macromedia, Iron Mountain Digital, and Dynatech Corp.
- Planned and successfully executed Visible Measures' initial company and product launch; developed marketing plan, sales kit, Web site, and communications plan for new AJAX-enabled usage analyticssolutions based on a SaaS/SOA delivery model.
- Closed enterprise license deal with Iron Mountain Digital, one of Visible Measures' first major customers; has led to innovative new applications for Visible Measures solutions.
- Generated over 60 qualified leads within first 3 months of joining the company, resulting in a robust pipeline of both ISV and IT prospects.
- Established customer roundtable program to define specific environments and requirements for application analytics offerings.
Aug 2003 - Sep 2005
Global Director, Enterprise Linux Solutions
Recruited into the newly-formed Global Solutions Group reporting into the office of the Chairman. Ownership of solutions marketing for Novell's worldwide Linux and Open Source practice, with responsibility for defining and rolling out migration consulting offerings across industries and geographies. Drove strategy, planning, messaging/positioning, collateral development and customer programs. Developed and delivered targeted Linux solutions offerings for key vertical and technology infrastructure sectors, including state & local government, Linux desktop, and Data Center Linux.
- Achieved major gains in awareness and perception for Novell's Linux migration solution offerings as measured by employee and customer surveys.
- Created strategic messaging, positioning, programs, and associated marketing materials aimed specifically at state & local government CIO's. Worked with Novell sales organization to partner in closing significant business within several state government technology offices.
- Conceived, designed and coordinated Linux Showcase exhibit at 2004 Novell BrainShare customer event that resulted in more than100 qualified leads for Novell's Linux solutions.
Apr 2001 - Sep 2002
VP, Product and Solutions Marketing
Built and led the product marketing team that designed and drove highly successful solutions initiatives in North America and Europe. Developed full business plans for three major new solutions areas - CRM, ERP, and EAI. Created all supporting programs and materials. With Sales and Engineering support rolled out innovative customer council program to involve customers early and directly in strategic corporate initiatives.
- Solutions initiatives contributed torevenues of more than $8M to the company over 6 months period.
- Customer council was a strong factor in saving significant investment dollars on low-priority product features/functions.
- Frequently commended by field organizations for innovative programs and strong marketing/sales integration.
Jan 1999 - Jun 2001
Reporting to the Senior Partner for the $300M Solutions Integration (SI) practice developed the first-ever business plan and marketing strategy encompassing all SI product lines, including Data and Knowledge Management, ERP, and Data Repository Services. Drove all marketing activities for a coordinated co-launch with Microsoft of a new Dot.Com consulting practice in support of their Windows 2000 introduction. Also co-developed a comprehensive strategy and project plan for KPMG Consulting's e-Engineering practice.
- For the newly created Microsoft Dot.Com consulting practice helped build a pipeline of over 50 qualified leads within the first month of launch.
- Collaborated with other KPMG Consulting marketing functions, along with counterparts in United Nations Development Program (UNDP), Cisco Systems, and Akamai partnering organizations, on record-setting NetAid Web site.
1992 - 1999
VP, Data Warehouse Marketing at Red Brick Systems (1997-1999); VP, Marketing at ONTOS, Inc. (1994-1997); Director, Product Management and Product Marketing at Progress Software (1992-1994).
University of Toronto
- Woodrow Wilson Fellowship nominee
University of New Hampshire
- Thomas O. Marshall Scholar