Business / Finance / Management Profile — 33 years management and ownership experience in the fields of banking, real estate financing, condominium conversions, property purchases and sales, real estate development, property management, construction, and human resources
May 2006 - Present
President / CEO
Bertin Associates, Inc.
• Provided business, income tax and accounting advice to clients in the auto repair, commercial art, entertainment,
property management, landscaping, industries.
• Consulted with small business clients in the following areas: ~ Developed complex financial models. ~ Assisted with bookkeeping services. ~ Prepared business plans.
• Assisted clients with tax advice and tax return preparation including: ~ Prepared Federal and State individual income tax. ~ Prepared Federal and State small business income tax. ~ Assisted with probate court filings and prepared estate tax returns. ~ Prepared federal and state payroll tax returns.
Nov 2007 - May 2009
Chief Financial Officer
www.coloradomountainestates.comwww.shorelinebahamas.com• Acted as primary local point of contact for owners based in Florida and the Bahamas.• Developed and implemented financial reporting standards including: ~ Preparation of periodic financial statements and operational reports to the owners. ~ Implementation of accrual based reporting.• Developed and implemented construction accounting standards including: ~ Establishment of system for allocation of company overhead to various construction activities. ~ Preparation and maintenance of construction budgets.• Established and maintained multiple banking and loan relationships.• Participated in proposed new businesses inclulding: ~ Preparation of financial models. ~ Negotiation with private equity fund managers. ~ Review of legal documents to insure congruence between legal and business agreements.• Consulted with owners regarding United States income tax implications of various transactions.
May 1982 - May 2006
Vice President / CFO
Kaftan Enterprises, Inc.
www.kaftancommunities.com • Performed financial and administrative functions for a $400 million real estate portfolio. • Prepared requests and obtained loans for all acquisition, development, construction and permanent financing. • Assisted in the preparation of private placement offerings of limited partnership interests. • Participated in acquisition of new developments as follows: ~ Developed and actively participated in due diligence. ~ Reviewed, analyzed, and made recommendations. ~ Involved in document preparation and review of documents. • Provided tax planning for current and proposed businesses. • Administered and assisted staff in the following areas: ~ Accounting & Tax Return Preparation ~ Cash Management & Treasury Services ~ Insurance ~ Human Resources & Employee Benefits ~ Information Technology • Maintained multiple banking relationships. • Entrusted with personal finances of key principals.
Feb 1980 - May 1982
Deloitte & Touche, LLP
www.deloitte.com• Supervised assistants for audit engagements.• Planned and controlled engagement procedures and budgets.• Prepared financial statements including appropriate disclosures.• Participated in audits of clients in banking, brewing, construction, employee benefits, healthcare, manufacturing, non-profit, oil & gas, property management, publishing, real estate development and research.
Apr 1976 - Feb 1980
• Supervised and assisted in the financial and operational audits of subsidiary banks.
• Assisted independent accountants with interim and year-end audit procedures.
• Specifically requested by Senior Management to participate in various special projects.
• Assisted FBI Agents in investigation of irregularities.
1994 - 1996
1974 - 1975
Bachelor of Accountancy
• Graduated Cum Laude with GPA of 3.47 in 15 months at age 20.• Awarded academic scholarships for every term available.