ENGINEER/MBA SEEKS FULL-TIME POSITION IN OR BASED FROM KNOXVILLE, TN OK TO CONTACT CURRENT EMPLOYER
REFERENCES AND FULL RESUME AVAILABLE ON REQUEST PLEASE CONTACT BY EMAIL dbenton9<atsign>yahoo<dot>com
LEADERSHIP & CHARACTER
- As US Navy Officer, developed proven track record of diligence, attention to detail, responsibility, leadership, punctuality and the ability to function effectively in high stress situations.
- A business background affording the ability to see and manage various portions of large projects and to make intelligent decisions.
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING EXPERIENCE
- Attained PE license by passing Structural I PE test.
- 5+ years design experience in Masonry, Structural Steel, Concrete, Wood and Foundations for Commercial, Residential structures and mechanical equipment.
- Specified manufactured building components including steel bar joists, metal deck, engineered wood products (LVL, I-joist, etc.)
- Determined structural forces on buildings from wind, seismic & building loads.
- Modeled structures in RISA & RAM structural engineering software to include building frames, members, trusses, tilt-up concrete walls and foundation systems.
- Conducted >100 Structural Inspections and Surveys of Commercial structures.
- Conducted Forensic Structural Inspections for determination of wind vs. water in Hurricane Katrina insurance claims.
- Reviewed County residential new construction plans for structural compliance and new high-wind requirements.
- Extensive experience in high wind coastal zones and Florida Building Code & Miami-Dade jurisdictions.
- Prepared National Client commercial design work for modifications of Roof Top Equipment, Storefront glass modifications, addition of openings in existing interior and exterior walls, removal and relocation of load-bearing elements, additions to parapet walls and signage facades on building front.
- Field inspections during commercial and residential construction to verify structural details and Civil work.
- Sealed construction drawings, sketches, letters to Building Officials and reports.
- Reviewed construction shop drawings for ongoing projects.
- Supervised drafting markups and changes to plans of large projects in various stages of design prior to release.
- Calculated repair costs estimates for structures, site work and remediations using various editions of RS Means construction cost data.
- Drafted reports to be sealed by PE and to be used in expert witness work.
- Reviewed and compared reports, letters and conclusions written by other PE firms for expert witness work.
- As Industrial Engineer, facilitated 160,000 sf plant addition layout & schedule with production team & contractors
- Developed Lean Manufacturing systems and work cells.
- Led & Participated in Cross-Functional Teams & Kaisen events at two manufacturers.
- Utilized problem solving abilities for improvement & waste elimination in Imports, Warehousing, Facility Design, Production, Work Methods, Simulation & Inventory issues.
- Documented hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings across various departments.
- Lobbied members of upper management for policy changes, 6-Sigma-type improvements, investment in technology & automation, and Lean principles.
- Achieved Lean Manufacturing Certification by Alabama Technology Network.
- Licensed Alabama Home Builder - Designed and contracted several new homes, additions and piers.
- Managed all phases of multiple construction projects while working elsewhere as a full-time Engineer.
- Evaluated and utilized various non-traditional construction methods and products to produce single-family homes that are far more energy efficient than typical.
- Managed & trained 16-23 shipboard personnel in Engineering Auxiliaries and Gunnery Depts.
- Oversaw shift operations at sea involving operation of engineering plant, safe navigation of ship, and ship’s daily routine.
- Directed maintenance and operation of major engineering machinery.
- Trained ship’s crew of 350 in ordnance handling and small arms qualifications.
- Used engineering knowledge to understand, operate and train others in shipboard mechanical and propulsion systems to include: distillers, air conditioning, refrigeration, air compressor, gas turbine electric generators, gas turbine main propulsion and fuel systems.
- Computer: MS Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint- exceptionally adept), Autocad, DOS, Windows, Quickbooks, RISA, RAM Advanse, RAM Elements.