- Sports: Golf, Tennis, Snowboard, Windsurfing
- Others: Movies, Opera, Kiva.org, Entrepreneurship (member of the TiE organisation and founder of MyActivityMatch.com), "Green" stuff...
I started my career as an M&A Analyst working at top tier investment banks (Lazard, Cowen and SocGen) in 3 different countries (France, UK and US). Overall, I assisted execution teams achieve over $5bn in transaction value and worked with companies from various sectors including Internet, Software, Telecom, Financial Services, Healthcare, etc.
Following this experience, and given that I already had an MBA, I ventured on the corporate side and worked as a product manager for a software start-up company. After successfully launching several products and securing a couple of key customers, we sold the Company to Mergent. It was not a home run but definitely a great experience.
It was time for me to return to an advisory role and help CEOs and CFOs secure capital to grow their companies and deliver on their (and investors) visions. While working at Houlihan Lokey, I focused on the private placement of securities and assisted companies raising over $300 millions from top institutional investors (VCs, Hedge Funds, CrossOver Funds, PE Groups).
As the financial crisis started to unveil in the the winter of 2007-2008, it became apparent that the Investment Banking world was about to change in ways one could not even imagine at the time. By then, my experience allowed me to see the pros and cons of the many financing alternatives offered to corporations and started to think of ways to improve and accelerate them. The IPO market was also experiencing difficulties as new high growth companies had more and more hurdles to clear before gaining access to the public market and only realize then that they were far from being "out of the woods".
When I was offered the opportunity to join InsideVenture and help create an organization that had for mission to facilitate late stage financing and liquidity alternatives for top venture-backed companies with long-term oriented, high quality private and public investors by leveraging technology and plain old fashion face-to-face interaction, I had to jump again in the start-up world and roll-up my sleeves.
InsideVenture was recently acquired by SecondMarket and I now feel that my knowledge of the private equity market place and existing relationships would be best leveraged in the private placement group of a leading/progressive Investment Bank that focuses on servicing growth companies in the technology, energy and healthcare sectors.
Jul 2008 - Jul 2009
Vice President - Operations & Finance
- Joined InsideVenture's founder and CEO as the first employee of the company. My role as a VP of Operations and Finance was to build the operation, manage all aspect of the business (employees, partners, vendors, customers and shareholders) and deliver on the vision of our team and founders.
- Ramped the company from ground up, including:
- Securing and negotiating office space,
- Managing all aspect of finance, accounting and payroll with assistance of bookkeeper,
- Producing monthly, quarterly and yearly financial projections and budgets for day to day operations and shareholder meetings,
- Negotiating and establishing strategic alliances with key industry partners (NVCA, IntraLinks, Netroadshow, etc),
- Managing the development of InsideVenture's IT infrastructure and exclusive online financial information portal,
- Establishing workflow plan and criteria to manage companies selection process by leading GPs of top venture and public investment firms,
- Contributed to the creation of InsideVenture's Hybrid Private Public Offering (sm)
- Ramped institutional investor membership from 0 to 90+ firms in less than 9 months
- Planning for, managing and successfully executing two marketing roadshow events, as well as a first time investor conference with 150 attendees including 50 CEO and/or CFOs of leading venture-backed companies and 70+ investors (late stage private VCs, Crossover funds and Public funds).
- Built relationships with senior people at private and public equity investment firms as well as ecosystem partners including stock exchanges (NYSE, SecondMarket, XChange), service providers (IntraLinks, Gerson Lehrman Group, Netroadshow, Bowne, RR Donnolley), and major middle market investment banks.
Apr 2005 - Dec 2007
Vice President - Private Financing Group
- Received early promotion to VP level and quickly assumed day to day operation of the group.
- Responsible for managing and executing all aspects of engaged transactions and potential new opportunities. Regular activities included advising internal and external parties, preparing pitches, drafting engagement letters, overseeing due diligence process, providing valuation guidance, drafting private placement memorandum and executive summary, crafting investor presentation, marketing/negotiating with certain investors, etc.
- Managed and trained two junior resources within our group and acted as mentor for two first year analysts.
Sep 2001 - Dec 2004
Product Manager - Financial Software
- Acted as sole Product Manager in the company and was responsible for all aspects of product development, launch and life cycle management. Developed product attracted leading players such as Bloomberg, Reuters and others.
- Wrote all functional requirements; prioritized and integrated customers feedback/new ideas in follow-up releases.
- Created competitive landscape analysis and developed product positioning strategy with management.
- Provided internal and external training on product and new features.
Apr 2000 - Aug 2001
Senior Financial Analyst - TMT M&A
- Conducted in-depth industry and market research to evaluate a company’s positioning and business strategy, highlighted strategic alternatives and possible implications.
- Identified potential strategic partners and/or acquisition targets and reviewed current sector valuation using discounted cash flow analysis, trading multiples analysis and comparable transaction analysis.
- Managed and trained Junior Analyst on live and marketing projects involving market research and trends analysis, complex financial modeling and analysis of strategic business combinations effects including sensitivity, accretion/dilution analysis, cash-burn analysis, shareholder prospective value and collar/exchange ratio analysis.
Nov 1998 - Jan 2000
Financial Analyst - Technology & Healthcare M&A
- Performed numerous valuations using discounted cash flows, trading multiples and comparable transaction analysis, as well as pro forma merger models including accretion/dilution analysis at various prices.
- Supported origination efforts through the preparation of pitch books and other marketing materials.
- Helped leverage Cowen’s US technology and healthcare expertise within SG Europe by increasing communication and cooperation among Paris-based and San Francisco-based Technology teams.
May 1997 - Oct 1998
Financial Analyst - Generalist M&A
- Worked directly with a Managing Director on sell-side projects, providing all documents and support needed to run competitive auctions (valuations, identification of potential strategic/financial buyers, redaction of confidential information memorandum and teaser, organization and management of the data room, contacts backlog update, redaction of supporting materials for management presentation and price negotiation, etc).
- Supported origination efforts through preparation of pitch books and built several valuation models including discounted cash flows, trading multiples and comparable transaction multiples (sector exposure included Wireless, Wired and Satellite Telecommunications, Banking, Engineering, Apparels and the Food Processing industry).