During the day, I work to support the HR department of VOANA, a nonprofit organization with 700+ employees. During the evenings, I write at UpstartHR.com. I'm an HR blogger with a passion for teaching others about HR education, certification, and career development.
Apr 2009 - Present
- Support administrative functions of the HR department
- In-process new hires
- Maintain employee files and training records
- Schedule e-training for staff
- Assist with background checks
Mar 2009 - Present
UpstartHR is a site that targets entry level HR, education, and certification topics.
- The blog provides short articles for encouragement, entertainment, and enlightenment several times a week. Some focus on entry level HR, while others give insight for SHRM chapter planning and marketing, and there are even some HR leadership posts.
- The free PHR study guide has been downloaded hundreds of times and has assisted dozens of HR professionals with their own exam preparation.
- Authored an eBook called Rock the PHR. This guide is a premium PHR study resource.
Dec 2008 - Jul 2009
- Wrote weekly career advice and employment news editorials for the Jobacle blog.
- Handled some promotion via social networking and social media
Apr 2009 - Jun 2009
National Jobs Examiner
Jun 2007 - Apr 2009
Data Entry Specialist
- Resolved a 5-month backlog problem by developing better organizational tools and increased accountability
- Created a reference document that reduced training time for peers
Jan 2006 - Dec 2006
Advanced Manufacturing Systems
- Managed weekly payroll functions for company with 20+ employees
- Developed a 40 page training manual to speed up new hire "fit"
2006 - 2008
- Led a team of accounting, management, and human resources management majors to a third place finish in a strategic business simulation
- Managed a group of five marketing students in creating a promotional brochure requested by the City of Athens Tourism Bureau
- Directed a team of three human resources management students in creating remedies for a fictional company dealing with HR-related problems