I am a savvy, sales and marketing professional with experience in the automotive industry with Ford Motor Company and Mazda North American Operations. Like many, I have been hit by the woes of our current economic recession. I took it as an opportunity to learn as much as I can about the people and world around me and look for my next big career move. Two month ago I was able to join Mazda, a company I am extremely excited to be a part of. I'm now a District Manager, covering Mazda dealerships in Memphis, Little Rock, Nashville, and Jackson, Mississippi. I consult dealers on their sales and marketing operations, driving retail sales and spreading the emotion of motion. Zoom Zoom.
Apr 2009 - Present
District Sales Manager
Covering Mazda dealerships in Memphis, Little Rock, Nashville, and Mississippi. Driving retail sales and spreading the emotion of motion.Zoom Zoom. Forever.
Aug 2008 - Dec 2008
Internet Marketing and Sales Manager
- Created and implemented Internet lead response and sales processes which increased both appointment and close ratios
- Initiated the launch of new digital marketing campaign including SEM and display advertising
- Maintained an aggressive online presence through dealership, vendor and social networking websites
- Collaborated with dealership management in developing monthly advertising strategy
Jun 2007 - Jul 2008
Zone Manager (Memphis Region)
- Business consultant to 14 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Dealerships in the Memphis Region’s highest volume zone
- Worked with dealership management to increase market share and improve profitability
- Negotiated monthly wholesale allocation with dealers generating $150 million in revenue in 2008
- Conducted monthly meetings presenting dealership sales teams with techniques and information to increase retail sales
- Developed action plans to improve Internet lead response processes, close ratios and website traffic
- Organized four sales contests targeting specific vehicle lines to promote competition and increase zone retail sales volume
- Worked with dealers to develop weekly Tier 3 advertising strategy
- Participated in Marketing, Sales & Service Mentoring Program
Feb 2007 - Jun 2007
- Conducted market research and developed a marketing plan aimed at increasing attendance of college students at MCFTA by improving awareness of its unique offerings
- Assisted Marketing Manager in planning, implementing and promoting events and exhibits
- Planned Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours networking event for 200 guests
As a Zone Manager with Ford Motor Company, I targeted specific dealerships for each of the following categories: eBusiness, Market Share and Profitability. I met with the Dealer Principals and General Managers at each dealership to discuss the areas for improvement in these categories on a monthly basis. Here is a follow-up letter I wrote in July 2008.
While I was a Zone Manager at Ford Motor Company I used sales contests to increase retail sales at the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury dealerships in my zone. Here is an announcement for a contest I organized for the six dealerships in the Memphis Metro market. I organized the contests details, designed the announcement and managed the event through to completion. This particular contest was for a trip for two on an all-expense paid trip with the NBA's Memphis Grizzles.
The highly competitive Memphis Metro Auto Market has eight Ford franchises and two Lincoln-Mercury franchises. Landers owns one of each. The only Lincoln-Mercury competitor closed its doors in September 2008 when the highest volume Ford dealership took over the franchise. Service business is keeping many dealerships going these days so we targeted over 10,000 Lincoln-Mercury owners in Memphis with this mailer during the transition period. By offering a free oil change and $250 toward a vehicle purchase, we gained new customers which have already generated a return on the investment through upsells in the Service Department.
Landers launched a new testimonial advertising campaign featuring customer and employee testimonials. To extend the impact of these "Landers Stories", I integrated it into our website. Through an email campaign, I asked customers to tell their "Landers Story" via DealerRater.com. This website was just getting started so many dealers had no rating at all, or in some cases only negative ones. I was able to generate positive reviews for Landers at DealerRater.com while obtaining personal stories which were used for the advertising campaign online. Here is an example of one of the testimonials.
2003 - 2007
Northwood University is a private, accredited university specializing in managerial and entrepreneurial education. The goal at Northwood is to prepare students to be outstanding leaders in the business world.
I was very involved as a student at Northwood. I played a role in the "Largest Outdoor New Car Show in North America" - the Northwood University International Auto Show (NUIAS) and the Northwood University American Marketing Association (NUAMA). Here are the highlights:
Northwood University American Marketing Association (NUAMA)
- Led chapter to a record four awards at the 2007 International Collegiate Conference, finishing 17th nationally
- Collaborated on numerous marketing projects for area businesses and organizations including Gerace Construction, Wolverine Bank and the City of Midland
- Led the development of two Chapter Plans and Annual Reports
- Improved NUAMA brand recognition with student body, increasing chapter membership by > 240%
Northwood University International Auto Show (NUIAS)
Captain of Team Mitsubishi, 2005
- Lead 14 member team in creation of People’s Choice Award winning display
- Maintained a vehicle inventory worth over $300,000
- Approached area businesses and attained sponsorships, increasing funds by 200%
As President of the Northwood University American Marketing Association (NUAMA), I oversaw the organizations operations and projects in Chapter Planning, Professional Development, Fundraising, Community Service, Communications, Membership, Advertising and Finance. Each year, the American Marketing Association (AMA) hosts an International Collegiate Conference in which top collegiate AMA Chapters are judged in these areas through their Chapter Plan and Annual Report, which document the year's accomplishments. Under my leadership, NUAMA finished with a school record four awards and an overall finish of 17th out of over 150 AMA Chapters. Here, you can view our Annual Report.
As the Marketing Intern at the Midland Center for the Arts (MCFTA) in Midland, MI, I assisted the Marketing Department in promoting the six resident arts groups headquartered there. MCFTA is located near four colleges and universities, however, attendance from their students remains very low because they are not aware of the Center's offerings and shows. MCFTA is also perceived as catering to an older demographic by this group. My project was to create a marketing plan with the goal of to increasing awareness and traffic of college students to MFCTA. Here you can view the entire plan.
As Captain of Team Mitsubishi for the 2005 Northwood University International Auto Show (NUIAS), I needed additional funding to build my display. All NUIAS teams are given a small amount of cash to fund their displays and must rely on their own cash or donations to pay for the rest. I approached small businesses in the Tri-City area for sponsorships. In return for their funding I would promote their business at our display during the show. Displaying their logos as billboards on the scoreboard played perfectly into our "Yankee Stadium" theme. As a result of my efforts, I gained six sponsorships and more than doubled the funds for our display. here is a copy of the letter I sent to businesses.
Fundraising is an essential component for the Northwood University American Marketing Association (NUAMA). It finances everything we are able to accomplish as an organization, most importantly our trip to the AMA International Collegiate Conference in New Orleans. For NUAMA, fundraising doesn't involve bake sales or can drives. Instead, members take on high level marketing projects through partnerships with area businesses and organizations which allows for real life experience. Here is the proposal for a marketing research and media packet we completed for Gerace Construction, a large construction company in the Mid-Michigan area specializing in building and maintaining hydroelectric dams. Gerace was impressed by our research and presentation and has become a valuable client to the organization since 2006.