In 2010, I began work as an AmeriCorp volunteer to build from the ground up a mentor program for our high school youth studying media in the Boston public schools we partnered with. In August 2011, I was hired as the Program Manager to continue the expansion of the program. I was the sole administrator of program and as such was responsible for program planning, marketing, communications, administration, and evaluation. Responsibilities included:
- Developed and administered mentor program for high school youth studying media.
- Wrote program operations manual.
- Developed several brochures, published two articles, and created additional collateral materials to support marketing efforts.
- Coordinated marketing and outreach efforts to a dozen area colleges, 20 professional associations and over 100 segments of media industry to recruit mentor volunteers.
- Researched new funding resources and contributed to the writing of grant proposals resulting in one financed proposal.
- Developed mentor curriculum and handbook.
- Taught mentor training workshop.
- Monitored matches and planned several organizing activities for mentors/mentees.