Mar 2007 - Present
Guest Lecturer, New Century Journalism Speakers Series
Jun 2006 - Present
Member of Inaugural Class
Scripps Howard Leadership Academy
- Selected to participate in week-long seminar designed to spur interest in journalism teaching, leadership and academic administration. Seminar was hosted by LSU's Manship School of Mass Communications.
Feb 2009 - Present
Multimedia Journalism Seminar Graduate
- Completed 5-day "Multimedia Journalism for Educators" seminar. Emphasis on shooting, editing, and posting video and other multimedia. Learned "best practices" from teachers all over the country.
Mar 2006 - Present
- Delivered lecture "Behind the Scenes at NBC Nightly News" to students and faculty.
Mar 2006 - Present
- Lectured on media stereotypes of gays and lesbians for classes in Media Literacy & Social Change and Producing Films for Social Change.
Jan 1999 - Present
Nov 1998 - Present
- Delivered public lecture, "The Death of Matthew Shepard: Media Coverage," and taught master class on network news coverage of elections.
Mar 1995 - Present
Hearst Professional in Residence
- Taught master classes and provided coaching and career advice to undergraduates.
1993 - Present
Senior Newswriter, NBC Nightly News
• Member of senior editorial team that writes and produces award-winning network news broadcast.• Oversee editorial continuity and participate in daily editorial decisions. • Respond to breaking news.• Edit correspondent scripts.• Write anchor copy.• Write and produce headlines, teases, and other promotional copy. • Contribute to political coverage plan.• Pitch, field produce, write and edit news and feature segments for anchors and correspondents as
needed.• Work with director and graphic artists to coordinate elements for live broadcast.Digital Responsibilities
• Co-lead Nightly News web team and successful re-launch of Nightly.MSNBC.com in January 2008.• Collaborate with Nightly News and MSNBC.com staff and managers to redesign and expand site’s reach, visibility, and content (especially video).• Provide key leadership role in the “cultural shift” of Nightly News from broadcast-only to multi-platform.
• Provide editorial supervision and guidance for digital content to staff at all levels, and ensure its editorial
integrity and quality.
• Supervise editorial production and preparation of digital content, including editing scripts for video
packages.• Edit and publish Nightly News blogs.• Coordinate DV camera and other technical training seminars for staff.• Collaborate with NBC News and MSNBC.com promotions staffs to maximize visibility for re-launch.• Manage relationships with internal and external partners including Channel One.com.• Write and ensure distribution of daily Nightly News e-newsletter and text alerts.• Member, former NBC Digital Task Force.
Senior Producer, The News with Brian Williams(MSNBC cable)
• On leadership team for 1996 launch for flagship hour-long primetime newscast on new MSNBC 24-hour
cable news channel.• Responsible for editorial decisions, supervision of correspondents and producers.• Wrote, edited and approved scripts. Segment Producer, Dateline NBC
• Produced long-form feature segments for network news magazine. • Pitched ideas, set up shoots and interviews, field produced, wrote scripts and supervised video editing.Mentor/Trainer/Recruiter
• Collaborated with Vice President of Talent Recruitment and Director of News Partnerships on
as-needed basis to improve quality of news writing and production at NBC-affiliated stations.
• Recruited, interviewed, and critiqued the work of prospective candidates for reporting and producing jobs.Member, NBC News Diversity Advisory Council
• Advised and consulted with news management on diversity-related issues in news coverage and staffing. • Developed new staff recruitment program with emphasis on diversity.
Aug 2009 - Present
Aug 2008 - May 2009
Jan 2007 - May 2008
Adjunct Assoc. Professor/Broadcast Coach
2006 - 2008
Journalism Ethics Fellow
- Invited participant in annual Journalism Ethics Institute.
- Prepared and presented ethics case study.
Sep 2007 - Dec 2007
Jan 2002 - Feb 2002
- Guest-lectured in journalism and mass communication classes.
- Collaborated with faculty on study of network news coverage of 9/11 terror attacks.
- Counseled students.
1999 - 2000
Advisory Committee Member
- Collaborated on "Lesbians & Gays in the Newsroom: 10 Years Later" [PDF] with NLGJA and the Radio and Television News Directors Foundation. This was a follow-up project to a first-of-its-kind NLGJA/RTNDF study, "Another Perspective: A Report on Gay and Lesbian Issues in Electronic Journalism," which I co-coordinated and wrote.
1987 - 1993
- Responsible for all editorial aspects of live local newscasts at CBS owned-and-operated television station in third largest U.S. market.
- Produced and wrote news and feature segments for anchors.
1982 - 1983
Production Assistant/News Writer
- Production Assistant and News Writer for daily live newscasts. Left to attend law school.
1983 - 1986
- Member, Moot Court Board
- Summer Law Clerk for U.S. District Judge Abraham D. Sofaer (S.D.N.Y.)
- Summer Associate at Wolf, Block, Schorr and Solis-Cohen (Philadelphia)
1977 - 1981
- Degree awarded magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Reporter and Editor, Brown Daily Herald
- Stringer, United Press International
- Summer Reporter, (Martha's) Vineyard Gazette