- Valrico US-FL
Certified Project Management Professional (PMP), ITIL v3 Foundation, and Six Sigma Black Belt, who has used, implemented, and assessed Software CMM and CMMI. Background is in project/program/portfolio management, IT, operations, and process improvement with associative disciplines such as quality, metrics, training, and facilitation. U.S. Air Force for 12 years. Also worked for RCA, TYBRIN (defense contracting), Certegy/FIS (financial processing), Sage Software (retail software), Tampa General Hospital (healthcare), HealthPlan Services (health plans), Community Healthcare Solutions for goPMO (consulting), and CareCentrix for Apex (consulting). Military Veteran and Eagle Scout.
Seeking leadership position (VP/Director) in Tampa/St Petersburg/Lakeland/ Kissimmee/Bradenton area where I can use my 24 years' experience in project/program/portfolio management, process improvement, operations, metrics, training, and team building to make an organization more effective and efficient.
* Managed a portfolio of over 80 software release, business, and process improvement projects at Sage Software resulting in less than 3% variance. Developed and implemented SDLC methodology, key performance indicator (KPI) metrics, and internal training. Six Sigma projects resulted in greater than 50% improvements for troubled business processes.
* Within one year, led 13 work groups at Certegy Check Services in upgrading software development/maintenance processes from CMM Level 2 to Level 3 and implementing project management tools, Web-based reporting and a training program. Efforts slashed defects by 60.6%, increased on-time delivery 20.4%, and led to 19 PMP certifications.
* Directed 35 project teams/forums across 8 sites & 4 time zones at TYBRIN Corporation in transitioning from SW-CMM Level 3 to CMMI, requiring the jumpstarting of a process improvement effort that was defunct for 18 months.
* Spearheaded implementation of a data warehousing methodology and a Project Management Office with metrics, standards, tools and reports, increasing efficiency and productivity for 75,000 users at Thomson Consumer Electronics.
* Successfully held diverse roles during a 12-year tenure with the U.S. Air Force, including management of a systems development group ($3.1MM budget) spanning 350 global sites. Turned around one of the least-compliant programs in the organization’s history, raising it to #1 out of 150 systems during the next software process assurance audit.
* Project/Program/Portfolio Management
* Strategic/Tactical Planning
* Business Process Improvement
* CMMI Assessment/Implementation
* SDLC & Agile Methodologies
* Metrics Definition & Analysis
* Testing, Training & Implementation
* Six Sigma Process Improvement
* Quality Assurance
* Team Building
Directed process improvement, project management, business analysis, and quality assurance teams and activities in support of all business areas and senior management team across the company.
* Formed and led team in implementation phases of AWD workflow system to automate manual tasks, integrate systems via Web services, allow for off-shoring, and increase visibility of work status.
* Created SDLC structure and templates to include statements of work and business readiness plans.
* Re-implemented Paylocity time reporting tool with new structure and reporting to support job allocation and capitalized labor as well as decrease manual tasks and increase reporting to Finance.
* Key member of strategic planning and marketing teams, led Director status report reviews, facilitated Tech Roadmap planning and execution.
* Developed and implemented project intake governance process, scoring model, portfolio management status, and Change Advisory Board reviews for code changes deployed into Production.
* Implemented, trained, and administered JIRA, Confluence, and add-on programs to better manage progress and incoming IT work.
Directed process improvement and project methodology activities in support of 19 program managers and senior management team of 220-person IT department.
Led 5 Project Managers in the planning and implementation of 9 functional areas for 2 state implementations which included new systems, conversion to a Managed Care Organization (MCO), and the start up of a Consumer Oriented & Operated Plan (CO-OP).
Recruited, oriented, and mentored members of 19-person PMO. Provided tool, time, and project administration for all projects requested of 320-person IT department to include resource manager meetings
for initial estimates and release planning.
Managed 10 FTE and up to 4 Contract Project Managers in support of medium to large projects across the IT Department as well as the $120MM+ Electronic Medical Records (EMR) project.
As officer of Tampa Bay MPUG, advertise and host events, advocate project management practices, and support community of MS Project users.
Established Program Management Office (PMO) to enable the rock-solid delivery and launch of all projects on-time, on-budget, with the agreed upon scope and quality.Managed all software projects from Kick Off to Certification.Led all business process initiatives to successful implementation.Provided clear and timely communication of project status and key metrics to all stakeholders.
·Defined and implemented PMO with light-weight infrastructure for Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Agile to include templates, process roadmaps, project plans, and project data repositories.
·Managed a portfolio of over 80 software release, business, and process improvement projects resulting in less than 3% variance of efforts hours and schedule days from baseline for software releases.
·Objective and helpful approach valued as invited to facilitate numerous sessions to include planning, workflow, requirements, business process, Lessons Learned, Retrospectives, and Root Cause Analysis.
·Instituted Program Reviews and weekly Master Schedule so that senior management could be kept appraised of product roadmaps, risk and issue trends, resource contentions, and schedule status.
·Created monthly metrics package of Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to provide management better information for decision making and to better communicate plans and progress across the Business Unit.
·Conducted internal training for Project Management principles and MS Project, managed training on Requirements.Earned 94% satisfaction rating as a training instructor, 97% overall for PMO services.
Directed process, quality audits, configuration management, training, testing and metrics spanning a 200-member IT Department and 1,300 end-users.Managed and mentored a team of 7 and hired additional resources as needed for major process improvement initiatives. Controlled an $800K personnel, software maintenance and consulting budget.Facilitated meetings between technical personnel, business analysts, business leaders and IT management.
·Within one year and during a period of 25% personnel growth, led 13 work groups in upgrading software development and maintenance processes from CMM Level 2 to Level 3, meeting time and budget constraints.Solicited bids for consultant and lead assessor, facilitated gap analysis, developed project plan, trained assessment team, and deployed a tracking tool that reduced production defects by 60.6% and increased on-time delivery rate by 20.4%.
·Spearheaded implementation and data migration from homegrown system to Artemis project management tool and Web-based reporting environment.Trained entire department in 3 levels of project management tools, standardizing scheduling, reporting and metrics.
·Prepared business case and ran proof of concept to implement Compuware test tools for unit, functional/regression and load testing. Increased control over test environment, captured defects before deployment, and sufficiently handled a 300% increase in transaction volumes.
·Enhanced performance and visibility of remote teams in Tuscaloosa and UK by instituting processes, training, metrics and SCM.Efforts decreased backlog of production defects by 12% and led to CMM Level 2 attainment.
·Initiated a formal training program, encompassing budget, strategic planning, quality, training materials, surveys, metrics and reports.Addressed skill gaps and assigned SMEs to provide mentoring, leading to 19 PMP certifications.
·Coordinated outsourcing efforts and Sarbanes-Oxley/SAS 70 audits, requiring SCM plans for all projects.
Charged with leading a 900-member company in transition from SW-CMM Level 3 to CMMI.Established and coordinated 35 project teams and forums across 8 sites and 4 time zones.Facilitated 16 workgroups to address gaps in major process areas.Supervised 3 direct reports, 12 indirects and a $400K budget.
·Formed an engineering process group, developed a PMO, reinstituted metrics, deployed measurement tool and repository, and revised all training materials.
·Developed new auditing methodology and trained PMO to coach, train and audit 35 project teams during time of 50% growth in personnel and locations.
·Selected Lead Assessor for CMMI appraisal and upgraded processes to CMMI Maturity Level 4.
Data Warehouse Senior Project Management Officer (2000-2001)
Met challenge of leading a 65-person team on a $250K consulting project to develop an initial data warehouse methodology supporting 75,000 users.Coordinated input by team members and management, provided quality acceptance of each deliverable, and trained the data warehousing team in its use.
·Developed assessment methodology later adopted by Program Office for use on all projects.Data warehousing methodology resulted in improved schedules, user acceptance tests, product quality and overall customer satisfaction.Project success led to data warehousing standardization across European locations and initiation of a similar effort for supply chain management.
·Enhanced project scheduling by recommending deployment of PlanView.Devised an implementation plan later used for deployment of Niku.
Project Manager, Software Engineering, Project Office (1998-2000)
Launched Project Management Office (PMO) with Primavera and established metrics, life cycle methodologies, standards, tools, reports and forums.
·Formed Project Management Forum and Software Engineering Process Group with representatives across the department to prioritize improvement efforts.Developed a lifecycle methodology and facilitated creation of technical standards for coding and database administration.Built a Website with a library of plans, forms and templates for project use. Coached IT organizations in France and Mexico.
·Inventoried departmental training needs and secured approval from senior management for funding of on-site instruction in project management, quality, CM, systems thinking and requirements development.
·Increased use of Primavera tool 50%, by working closely with teams to develop standard work breakdown structure, templates and training guides.
·Facilitated business planning sessions across all corporate functions, wrote plans, and provided training to establish a global Y2K command center.
·Awarded by peers for initiating and editing departmental newsletter.
Chief, Information Processing Management System Branch (1996 – 1998)
Managed systems development through the lifecycle, encompassing a $3.1MM budget, 350 global sites and a staff of 27 military, civilian and contract personnel.
·Within 6 months, turned around one of the least process-compliant programs by rewriting process, implementing CM tools and retraining staff in software engineering disciplines.The next software process assurance audit stated that team had accomplished the most dramatic program turnaround in its history, ranking it #1 out of 150 systems.
·Reduced 7,500 annual Helpdesk calls 15% by developing a Website to assist customers, building a user community forum, and hosting an annual user conference to discuss functionality and schedules.
·Seamlessly migrated data and installed software at 350 sites to support Y2K compliance and reduce operational costs from $1.5MM to $100K annually, despite a fixed budget, strict timeline and limited resources.
Chief, Open Systems Technology Evaluation (1995 – 1996)
Oversaw 8 military personnel in unit of 600 serving as the central software design center for a 450,000-member organization.Led team in software installations and system administration supporting 48 sites.Maintained 2 Websites and 5 information systems.Controlled annual budget of $400K.
·Replaced aging equipment with new client/server platform and applications.Trained staff in UNIX and scripting, set up practice build and teardowns, and developed capacity for Just-In-Time driver development for latest components.All 48 sites were installed on-time/budget, with zero impact.
·Core member on 2 assessment teams for Software CMM Levels 2 and 3.
Missile Warning Systems Support Manager, Missing Warning Quality Control Software Analyst, Personnel Manager (1986 – 1995)
Directed 27 operators and managed 4 nuclear command center environments.Performed personnel functions for 1,100 members and supported Commander.
·Authored comprehensive computer operations policies and procedures, increasing reliability by 50%.
·Honored as leader of only Outstanding Unit in inspection of 17 organizations.
·Selected for management over 93% of peers; top 10% for early promotion.
- Western Florida International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), Panel Member, 2015
- Western Florida International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA), Speaker, 2015
- Microsoft Project Users Group, Communication and Technical Advocate, 2009-2012
- Suncoast PMI chapter, Speaker 2010
- "Risk as a Barking Dog" article in ISSIG Review, 2009 Vol. XIII No. 1
- Software Engineering Institute, Speaker at 2003 & 2006 SEPG Conferences
- American Society for Quality (ASQ) Section 1508, Speaker 2004 and 2008
- Project Management Institute (PMI), PMP since 1999