Career-oriented public relations professional with more than five years of public relations, writing and marketing experience. Highly skilled in writing press releases, marketing copy, feature stories, newsletters, brochures, technical report and other marketing materials. Able to utilize non-traditional media and analytics, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and blogs to enhance traditional public relations and paid marketing campaigns. Experience planning large and small events within a tight budget and short time-lines. Also experienced in media and government relations.
May 2007 - Present
Public Information Assistant
- Oversaw District Marketing Committee and the $500,000 marketing budget, reaching several target audiences, in a densely populated area, with a limited budget
- Directed and wrote multiple television and radio commercials
- Wrote and distributed press releases at an average rate of four per month, consistently securing coverage in Los Angeles Times, Orange County Register, Orange County Business Journal and others
- Created collateral for various departments, including human resources, purchasing and foundation
- Managed graphic designer and student assistants
- Launched employee, bi-monthly newsletter; feedback indicated a boost in morale and camaraderie
Mar 2010 - Present
Public Information Officer
- Write and distribute news releases at an average rate of three to six per month, securing a front-page, above-the-fold placement in Orange County Register as well as placements in several other publications
- Manage the college’s social media sites, including a WordPress blog, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn; almost tripled Facebook fans since taking over as the administrator
- Train faculty, staff, and student groups on the proper techniques for social networking success
- Consult on and update the Saddleback College mobile app
- Assist in the design and implementation of the communications guide and enforce branding standards
- Edit and update several webpages within the college’s site using Adobe Contribute
- Direct and plan episodes of "At Saddleback," which run on Saddlebacks Channel 39
- Create fliers, brochures, PowerPoints, and other promotional pieces for several departments
- Plan and promote college, student and athletic events
May 2007 - Dec 2007
Contracted Technical Writer
- Consolidated and edited Policy Manual for security company, reduced page count by 100 pages
Jun 2006 - May 2007
Technical Writer and Office Coordinator
- Served as the main writer, in collaboration with the Orange County Children and Families Commission, on six special sections of the 2006 Conditions of Children in Orange County
- Wrote several successful grant applications, raising about $750,000 in a year
- Created a successful advocacy report for local senior care facility that was seeking to expand
- Designed, edited and distributed bi-monthly newsletter using Microsoft Publisher
Mar 2005 - Oct 2005
Public Affairs Specialist
- Wrote an average of three press releases per week, securing placements in papers throughout California, Nevada, Arizona, Hawaii and Guam
- Wrote a successful grant application for a phone line that Spanish speakers could use to report unfair work situations, which was difficult given some people’s opinions of illegal immigrant workers
Cut pages and cost of printing in half.
Responsible for the layout, using Microsoft Publisher, writing all the text and interviewing employees.
November edition of monthly newsletter that is emailed internally and externally using Constant Contact.
Second of four pages that were included in notebooks that were given to students for free. Responsible for choosing the graphics and writing the text.
Fourth of four pages that were included in notebooks that were given to students for free. Responsible for choosing the graphics and writing the text.
Career and Technical programs magazine mailer that was distributed to about 300,000 households. Responsible for all the writing, choosing images and final approval.
Distributed to all employees. Responsible for text and choosing graphics.
Third of four pages that were included in notebooks that were given to students for free. Responsible for choosing the graphics and writing the text.
Delivered to all employees.
First of four pages that were included in notebooks that were given to students for free. Responsible for choosing the graphics and writing the text.
Program for the memorial of the District's first Chancellor. Responsible for the image and text and for planning the event.