Seasoned C-level executive with board level experienced and a proven track record of success in global industries as far ranging as software, technology, renewable energy, professional services and financial services. Available as a speaker, executive coach or in advisory capacity.
Health and fitness, weight training, nutrition, cycling
Executive Leadership. Art Smith is one of a rare breed of strategic professional Chief Marketing Officers that are highly sought after by CEO's who understand the importance of brand innovation and its impact on the bottom-line. Art’s background spans multiple industries and Fortune 500 firms. He is a sought after public speaker and management consultant.
Combination of seasoned c-suite business strategist with a relentless focus on MROI.
Oct 2013 - Present
EVP, Chief Marketing Officer Americas
Currently, Art is Chief Marketing Officer for The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. the largest bank holding company in the world with more than $2.8 Trillion in Assets and operations in more than forty countries. He was recently named Deputy General Manager for Global Branding, making him among the first American’s appointed to an office in Japan. His scope of responsibility spans 8 distinct lines of business from consumer to investment and corporate banking. In addition he has been tapped to oversee strategic assignments evidenced by his current role in leading significant elements of the integration of BMTU businesses interests across the Americas into a single legal holding company in anticipation of future regulatory requirements. Art was promoted to this position based on his performance as CMO of Union Bank a wholly owned subsidiary of The Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi, UFJ, ltd. Prior to joining BTMU, Art held similar positions at Xerox, Duke Energy, McGladrey and Wachovia.
Jul 2010 - Oct 2013
EVP, Chief Marketing Officer
Firm wide responsibility for all marketing activities and brand strategy within the company. Including enterprise wide strategy and direct line of business marketing support, eMarketing, Data and Client Analytics, Brand Experience, Marketing Communications, Process Management, Sponsorships and Alliances.
Jan 2009 - Jun 2010
NARENCO (National Renewable Energy Corporation) is an innovative nationwide leader in helping clients harness the power of renewable energy. Thanks to our unique turn key approach to providing services and solutions from to design to implementation and ongoing operation, we help organizations take advantage of everything solar energy services have to offer –– including proven financial savings.
Serving nationally recognized utilities, commercial & industrial, government, military and educational clients across the country. The company's projects include the multiple examples of the largest PV systems nationwide. In 2013, Narenco was recognized as one of Solar World's Top 250 firms.
2007 - 2009
SVP, Head of Global Brand Marketing
This role is a key member of the executive team with overall responsibility for all integrated marketing communications, advertising, segment marketing, brand strategy, brand management, external communications, branded client experience, sponsorships and strategic alliances.
Directed complex, cross-functional organization of 186 staff in areas as varied as advertising and creative services to direct/online marketing and sponsorships/diverse segments marketing at $225M budget.
- Generated new account openings in excess of 129% of plan
- Exceeded goal of 1M new Way2Save accounts
- Re-architected company brand position/strategy, receiving accolades from CEO
- Restructured organization, optimizing productivity and efficiency, while aligning with customers
- Slashed division expenses 17% and simultaneously expanded sales
- Spearheaded advertising agency review/selection securing world class talent and process
- Led sports sponsorships group generating over 313MM media impressions, 22MM attendees
- Led demand generation team resulting in over 15B online impressions, 165 million direct mail units
- Led merchandising group yielding over 400 million branch transactions annually
- Reduced cost of new deposit account acquisition by 35.87% in partnership with retail business
- Reduced online credit application acquisition cost by 56.19%
- Recognized as Subject Matter Expert on strategy, metrics, and ability to create change.
2004 - 2007
Chief Marketing Officer
Served as the top marketing officer within multinational financial services firm reporting directly to the president. This role functioned as a key member of the executive operating team with overall responsibility for corporate growth strategy, marketing, brand strategy & management, corporate communications, branded client experience, market research, business development, sports sponsorships and strategic alliances.
Led marketing/sales units of 100 staff. Controlled $42M+ annual spending for advertising, brand strategy, PR, direct/online marketing, sponsorships, market and customer satisfaction research.
- Landed consistent double digit revenue growth each year in assignment
- Drove phenomenal income growth at 54% pre-tax
- Delivered 52% improvement in pre-tax operating margins
- Engineered world-class marketing organization from scratch, assembling major talent for team
- Systematized best practice governance procedures for expense and performance measurement
- Pioneered new brand strategy for firm, based on research and individual vision
- Gained approval for implementation from Chair and Board at HR Block
- Quantified and showcased the value of marketing and branding within the industry
- Awarded positive feature coverage in Wall Street Journal and CNBC Closing Bell
- Sharpened advertising multi-media campaign, expanding brand awareness 14% in key markets
- Forged new golf platform, combining sponsorships, licensing/tournament/player agreements
- Transformed organization through analytical strength/ROI measurement results
2002 - 2004
Vice President Market & Brand Strategy
Top marketing officer within $22 billion diversified energy company reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer and the corporate policy committee. Responsible for creation and implementation of a corporate marketing organization to meet the anticipated requirements of a deregulated North American energy market.
Directed complex organization of 50 marketing professionals, recruiting significant talent and developing resources to build leading industry team. Managed annual budget of $60M.
- Built a marketing organization responsible for 200% YOY revenues in B2C non-regulated services
- Re-engineered marketing governance resulting in lower costs and increased impact
- Enhanced sales productivity/profit performance exceeding B2B revenue plan 160%
- received industry-wide recognition in Platts Energy Weekly for marketing achievements
- Delivered high impact, integrated channel support across multiple business lines
- Energized innovative broadband service development (BPL) to 2.4M customers
- Impacted corporate cultural shifting behavior and focus toward deregulated competitive markets
- Established quantitative, rigorous mechanisms to measure return on marketing investments
1985 - 2002
Vice President and General Manager, Xerox Office Services
Overall P&L and program management responsibility for this $3.0 billion strategic consulting and managed services business. Responsible for business strategy, product development, financial management, channel expansion, brand management, overall operations, marketing, advertising, and positioning of this business with customers, media and industry analyst community. Included 10 senior level direct reports responsible for the areas of marketing, software development, program management, strategy and finance.
Managed global services including strategic product plan/development, sales, marketing, delivery, and all division operations with team of 200.
- Revolutionized Office Document Assessment with successful launch of extremely innovative service
- Catapulting over sales targets 250% in 1st year
- Bounded above business wide plan targets by 27% (profit) and 15% (revenue)
- Re-vitalized common platform solutions, designing and delivering strategic market attack plan
- Defined and solidified brand, marketing, and business positioning
- Monetized solution partnership agreements with Microsoft and IBM.
- Transformed entrepreneurial product development culture into quality-based team process.
1998 - 1999
Vice President, Marketing & Operations of Enterprise Software and Solutions
Provided global leadership for the marketing and field operations teams responsible for software solutions designed to enable managed services and enhance multifunctional networked digital printer offerings provided by the Xerox Office Solutions Group. This responsibility oversaw all areas of product marketing and field operations.
Commanded global leadership of 60-member Xerox Office Solutions Group in marketing/field operations creating software solutions to enable managed services/enhance multifunction networked digital printers.
- Penetrated multiple go-to-market channels, igniting annual revenue growth 57%.
- Discovered/launched 3 new enterprise software products developed at Palo Alto Research Center
- Articulated Global Services vision, integrating services via enterprise software solutions
- Spearheaded strategic partnership with Microsoft
- Developed long-range strategic market attack plan, with full life-cycle implementation details from competitive advantage and product development to market channels and services strategy
1997 - 1998
Manager, Worldwide Product Marketing & Operations of Digital Products
Directed global product marketing and field operations, leading cross-functional staff of 15 to capture $3.5B+ in team’s annual revenues.
- Innovated new product development, introducing $150M into this highly competitive market.
- Standardized consistent revenue gains, with consecutive annual increases at 37%.
- Recognized as “best in class” and “top honors” by elite industry publications.
- Created engineering laboratory “ahead of the curve” in testing products-in-development against competition. Applied findings to engineering optimization, developing sustainable B2B relationships, and significant positive press, leading to sales growth.
1996 - 1997
Manager, Worldwide Product Marketing & Operations of Color Products
Leveraged resources of 6 senior marketing professionals to deliver $2B+ in annual sales revenue. Targeted, defined, and implemented powerful marketing strategies to reach top global market position.
- Exploded unit profitability targeting increased device connectivity and page volume impact.
- Optimized rapid counter-strategies, averting negative results from market challenges.
- Stimulated direct channels sales devising specialized training and marketing support.
- Skyrocketed global recognition of color brand 200%.
- Drove worldwide year-over-year sales productivity 57% and revenue growth of 39%.
- Achieved #1 market share in hugely competitive market.
1995 - 1996
Product Marketing Manager – DocuColor 40
Led product marketing and launch for a new strategic color printing product, ensuring solid market reaction and field readiness through innovative and unconventional strategies. Devised and executed the introduction, media and early customer engagement strategy.
- Yielded more than $40 million in customer orders the day of launch.
- First year revenues exceeding $170 million.
- Doubled install forecasts and attained a dominant market share position within a high-end market.
- Received President’s Award for planning and managing the strongest pre-launch sales strategy in Xerox color history.
1994 - 1995
Manager, U.S. Field Operations - Color Products
Directed area marketing and technical operations management personnel supporting domestic networked color copier/printer business.Provided strategic direction and leadership for a staff of 200 field personnel generating sales of more than $380 million nationwide.
- Increased revenue from $228 million to more than $380 million
- Improved individual sales professional productivity by 40%
- Increased U.S. market share by 6 points within 18 months.
- Managed channel, national pricing, major accounts and supply/demand forecasting
1985 - 1994
Early Career w/Xerox Corp.
District Finance Sales Manager
Electronic Printing Systems Sales Representative
District Facsimile Sales Manager
District Sales Representative