Accomplished development and public affairs executive, providing strategic vision and support to governments, multilateral agencies and corporations in a range of areas including business development, government relations, and risk management. Ability to rapidly develop strong relationships in both the public and private sectors to benefit clients’ strategic goals. Track record of managing complex institutional relations and negotiations at the multilateral level. Special focus on the Caribbean Basin/Latin America.
Dec 2009 - Present
Provide advisory services to US and Caribbean Basin private and public sector leadership on business and economic development opportunities and market access issues.
- Senior advisor to US Department of Energy on June 2-3, 2014 U.S.-Africa Energy Ministerial in Addis Ababa Ethiopia;
- OAS consultant on trade facilitation and competitiveness in Haiti. Advisor on development of in-house programming on Caribbean & Latin America tourism;
- Advisor/consultant to Haitian maritime association on logistics, trade facilitation and compliance;
- Consultant engagement with the USVI Economic Development Agency on market access for USVI products within the broader Caribbean region;
- Direct outreach effort for North American gaming and hospitality client interested in expansion into Trinidad & Tobago, St. Kitts & Nevis, Grenada, Jamaica and the Turks & Caicos;
- Advisor on Caribbean issues to public relations firm Edelman;
- Represent interests of largest Haitian bank - focused primarily on micro-finance, remittances and infrastructure development;
- Advisor to Caribbean hotel developer/operator on securing capital for expansion, the acquisition of energy efficient technology and accessing training support;
- Develop/manage public relations messaging campaign for conglomerate on free trade, ant-dumping, and market expansion efforts;
- Senior consultant to Washington, NGO, Caribbean Central American Action (C-CAA) on regional programming. Co-manage US Department of Energy initiative on energy efficiency in the tourism industry;
- Advisor/consultant to major engineering firm on Caribbean port infrastructure initiatives;
- Advisor to a regional Ministry of Health on medical tourism policy development.
May 2007 - Dec 2009
Executive Director & CEO/Board Member
Oversee all organizational functions, leading 3-person management team. Administer budget supporting 6 programs; oversee fundraising and donor programs. Establish and develop strategic alliances with Fortune 500 companies to support their regional goals. Provide market-access, corporate social responsibility and investment opportunity counsel for North American, regional and international members.
- Manage organization’s image among targeted market, promoting function as primary advocacy group for Caribbean/Central American regions;
- Expanded corporate programs to new markets in Latin America, notably Panama. 30% increase in attendees to organization’s regional events;
- Team lead on strategic review of US - Caribbean relationship related to the multi-billion travel and tourism industry;
- Identified and secured new revenue streams as well as revitalized annual publication, streamlined procedures and systems to improve efficiency, and eliminated redundant positions resulting on 50% in cost savings;
- Represent the interests of trustee/client base including Scotiabank, SuperClubs, Tropical Shipping, ExxonMobil, Chevron and FedEx. Advise on regulatory, risk and investment climate and opportunities in the Caribbean Basin region;
- Prepared and delivered testimony on Hill to senior staffers and congressional representatives on trade and security;
- Created strategic alliance between Caribbean shipping association and carriers servicing the region including tackling of regional logistics performance;
- Key interlocutor with Departments of State, Homeland Security, Commerce, Energy and Treasury, multilateral agencies such as the Organization of American States, World Bank and Inter-American Development Bank.
May 2007 - May 2009
Executive Director & COO
Selected to direct new Caribbean initiatives, focusing on emerging economies’ banking, security and socioeconomic issues. Managed $4M budget; developed and implemented programming in maritime security and renewable energy. Interacted extensively with governments, diplomatic groups and multilateral non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- Chief of Party of 3-year public-private USAID trade and supply-chain project, protecting annual $1+ billion in US-Haiti trade flows. Key interlocutor with Haiti private sector;
- Conceptualized and oversaw execution of emerging-market economic development conferences emphasizing competitiveness and corporate social responsibility. Generated over $1 million dollars in revenue;
- Successfully implemented new customer-management/customs document repository system in the Caribbean by leading multi-industry consortium including FedEx, Tropical Shipping, Seaboard Marine and Pricesmart;
- Developed and delivered on behalf of ocean carriers and air express entities, white paper to Caribbean Customs & Law enforcement Council (CCLEC) on ways too improve regional logistics performance. Briefed CARICOM on customs impediments to trade and LCL (less than container load) solutions that would promote inter-island trade;
- Initiated renewable-energy programs across Caribbean and Central America, promoting solar, biofuels and tariff-structure reform to reduce regional fossil fuel dependency by 30% and import costs by 20%;
- Developed excellent relationships with decision-makers in multilateral organizations including World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, Export-Import Bank, Organization of American States (OAS), United Nations and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Jun 1998 - May 2005
Deputy Executive Director/Director of Programs
Deputy Executive Director
Tasked with strategizing, developing and deploying marketing and communication initiatives ranging from internal communications and public-private outreach to media relations. Oversaw offices is Barbados, El Salvador and Nicaragua; prepared and administered budget and monitored program performance, identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities.
- Launched $1+million USAID trade/security initiative to ensure Eastern Caribbean nations’ compliance with United Nations and US port and border security requirements;
- Secured $2+ million in new membership / sponsorship funds for North American and Caribbean Basin programs;
- Served as co-director of $2-million initiative supporting Central American Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) in Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua;
- Managed apparel relationships with US contractors as well as associations including American Apparel and Footwear Association, US Cotton Council, and the American Apparel Producers Network.
Director, Programs, Marketing & Business Development
Recruited to serve member clients including Bank of America, Kellwood Co., Sara Lee, ExxonMobil, Wachovia and Chevron in planning and implementing Caribbean/Latin American investment and government relations programs. Selected Contributions:
- Managed premier Miami Conference on the Caribbean Basin, fostering relationship-building, networking and partnerships among North American, Asian, European and South American business and government leaders;
- Directed successful business development missions to Guatemala, Barbados, Trinidad, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Venezuela for Trustees/clients resulting in their garnering over $2 million in new business annually;
- Personally managed regional conferences addressing topics such as telecommunications regulatory environments, intellectual property and tourism.
Jan 1997 - Jan 2008
Senior Manager, Investment
Recruited to lead division focusing on international strategic marketing, branding and business development initiatives, overseeing team of cross-functional, professional individuals. Planned and managed public/private-sector training programs and investment/growth initiatives. Counseled government regarding viability of programs ranging from agribusiness to housing privatization.
- Successfully deployed offshore data and manufacturing industry-training programs involving public and private sectors training over 500 new hires for US investor;
- Developed and led public-private sector partnership to select and manage hospitality development and information technology portfolio for country;
- Led site identification team that also developed investment/incentive packages for North American investors;
- Team member in development of new $3 million duty free port facility.
Jan 1990 - Jan 1995
EASTERN CARIBBEAN INVESTMENT SERVICE (OECS)
Primary driver of investment and government relations campaigns for over 100 public and private sector clients in the Caribbean and North America.
- Led executive team on business development efforts in agribusiness, electronic, apparel, hospitality, offshore banking and information processing industries;
- Created over 1000 new jobs and $20 million in new investment the Eastern Caribbean;
- Oversaw successful hospitality development portfolio, directly linking landowners, investors and developers; Negotiated investment and incentive packages on behalf of investors with local governments;
- Member of World Bank project on telecom rate structure in the Eastern Caribbean. Effort resulted in introduction of Information Services Facilitation Act that paved way for telecom liberalization.
Oct 2014 - Present
Chair - Caribbean Seminar
Foreign Service Institute
Lecturer on the Caribbean
Senior Associate (Non Resident)
Contributor - Latin America Advisor
Commentator on Caribbean development