General Motors Technical Centre India Pvt Ltd
Working in Engine-CAE Department and responsible for use of CFD analysis procedures for performance evaluation of: air induction system, compressor performance, intake manifold mass flow and EGR distribution to cylinders, exhaust manifold, turbocharger performance, engine cooling system and exhaust after-treatment systems.
Additional roles and responsibilities include:
- Training of new hires on CFD analysis procedures and their application.
- Mentor for 2 after-treatment CFD analysis procedures, responsible for procedure documentation, continuous improvement and resolution of any issues faced by analysts in other regions (NA & Italy) during execution.
- DFSS coordinator for Engine-CAE department, responsible for training and coaching team members for identification and execution of new projects using DFSS approach.
Summary of important projects executed:
- Urea injection and mixing analysis CFD procedure development: Simulation of the Urea injection droplets using Lagrangian Multiphase model, evaporation of droplets and mixing of the species before SCR catalyst brick. Developed model validated with test data for ranking of different designs.
- Uniform sampling device design for NOx sensor: Worked with production team on snorkel design for NOx sensor so that reading of NOx sensor is close to average SCR exit Nox slip reading. Filed for Defensive Publication of the new snorkel design.
- Diesel Fuel injection and mixing analysis procedure development: Simulation of diesel injection and its burning in Diesel Oxidation Catalyst to predict the temperature distribution in Diesel Particulate Filter during regeneration. Developed model validated with test data for ranking of different designs.
- Mixing system design for Pick-up Truck application: Worked with production team for design of mixing system for Urea-SCR and DOC-DPF system using CFD procedures. Optimized a single mixer location and orientation to achieve mixing performance same as two mixer design. Resulted in cost saving and more robust design of system.
- Close-Coupled Diesel Oxidation performance analysis: CFD model included turbo rotation effect through MRF model for prediction of flow and temperature. 1-D DOC model is used for chemical kinetics and conversion efficiency prediction.
- Catalyst light-off prediction analysis: Simulation of the time required for catalyst to attain light off temperature. Involved conjugate heat transfer with cylinder head, block, water jacket, cooling system, turbocharger and solid parts of after-treatment system for accurate prediction of cooling of exhaust gas before reaching the catalyst brick.
- Space saver mixing system design: Worked with production team for design of mixing system for Urea-SCR system with small space available due to packaging constraints. Came up with new innovative mixer design to achieve good mixing within short mixing length. Filed for US Patent protection for this new mixer design.
- Diesel Engine NOx model for calibration: Working with calibration team for exploring possibilities of data reduction required for creating NOx calibration tables through use of Statistical tools (Kriging Surface and Optimization tools).