I'd like to work in a creative environment helping owners and managers navigate HR challenges. My ideal fit would be a small to medium sized business where I can contribute heavily. I'd love to work for someone I admire who can teach me what I need to know to help them make their business more successful.
- Learning about people's childhoods.
- Reading non fiction.
- Thrift store shopping.
Aug 2011 - Present
Volunteer - Membership Coordinator & Advisory Board Member
- Work with Director creating effective and efficient documents and processes including member handbook and membership tracking tools.
- Manage memberships using spreadsheets.
- Administer Google Group to keep members connected.
- Help lead new member orientations.
- Meet once monthly as Advisory Board member to discuss ideas and direction for the organization.
Jul 2005 - Aug 2011
Human Resources Director
Pratt and Larson Ceramics
- Processed biweekly payroll for up to 120 employees using ADP software.
- Managed all employee benefits including 401k and health and dental insurance.
- Executive team member responsible for making business decisions at the highest level.
- Instituted and oversaw the company's Green Team to reduce waste and use resources more wisely.
- Hired, fired, laid off and progressively disciplined employees when necessary.
- Started monthly training meet ups to cultivate and support the managers.
- Practiced sensitive, yet effective, conflict resolution.
- Was receptive to the needs of the culturally diverse employee population.
- Managed projects responsively and energetically.
- Attended outside seminars and trainings to keep current on any Oregon employment law changes.
- Created a new, more comprehensive and appropriate performance appraisal system.
- Lead monthly Safety Committee meetings.
- Worked closely with the Controller to meet the financial needs of the company.
- Planned some darn fun company parties.
- Abided by the motto, "you catch more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar."
- Made boosting company moral during the financial crisis my personal mission.
2000 - 2005
Accounts Payable/General Cashier
Crowne Plaza Austin Hotel
·Processed invoices for payment, which entailed tracking purchase orders, general ledger coding, accurate
data entry & weekly check runs.
·Distributed & oversaw cashier banks, conducting audits to ensure accuracy in cash handling procedures.
·Managed a cash safe of $10,000.00, which included dispersing petty cash & placing change orders.
·Prepared daily deposits & reconciled all daily cash transactions.
·Reviewed statements & communicated effectively with vendors to expedite payments.
·Provided excellent customer service to both hotel guests & vendors.
·Assisted department heads with monthly budget management & cost control issues.
·Conducted monthly food & liquor inventories including cost of sales analysis.
·Oversaw staff meetings regarding cash handling procedures.
·Researched & resolved guest billing issues quickly.
·Reconciled accounts to assure proper revenue posting including sales & use tax.
·Created weekly reminders for front desk team to help with any accounting obstacles.
·Initiated employee fitness program & recycling program.
·Handled administrative duties, including ordering supplies, scheduling office meetings, organizing & filing.
Sep 2011 - Present
Working on basics to transfer to PSU
Currently I am a couple of classes away from junior status and being able to transfer to Portland State University's School of Business Administration.
2006 - 2008
This was a fabulous program taught by knowledgeable business professionals. The program was geared towards adults already in the work force. It was practical curriculum that I used often as HR Director. I studied topics such as project management, writing effective performance appraisals, employment law, motivating without money and how to spur organizational change.