Gannett Certified Value Selling Trainer. Project Logic (Project Management Institute); American Press Institute (speaker); Gannett ADvance Marketing Seminar; Cognos Power Play; Claritas PRIZM; Frontline Leadership Series (Zenger Miller); American Management Association - Advanced Sales Strategies for Technical and Industrial Products.
Citizen and Social Media Revenue Expert quoted in the Financial Times, Ad Age, Fox Business, AJR, OJR, WJR-AM, Milwaukee Magazine, local newspapers, The Local Onliner, WTN, and Presstime Magazine.
Charity: Autism Society of SE Wisconsin Dylan's Run Board.
Corporate: Wisconsin Sports Development Corporation Board Vice Chairman; ShopLocal Advisory Board Member; cars.com Product Advisory Board.
Industry: Mobile Marketing Assoc. Board of Directors; Chair of Mobile Publishing Cmte.; IAB Mobile Center of Excellence Board; NAA Mobile Advertising Standards Board Member; Frequent judge for Interactive Marketing Associations creative awards and local media industry speaker.
Speaking: Domestic & international speaking engagements at industry marketing and newspaper advertising conferences, including American Press Institute; Newspaper Association of America and others.
Associations: Milwaukee Interactive Marketing Association Founder and President; Chicago Interactive Marketing Association (founding member); Chicago Advertising Federation; Adcraft Club of Detroit; NAA Classified Advertising Federation Advisory Board.
Andy Vogel has dedicated his career to developing the skills, experience and results required to be a superior sales leader, and marketing strategist and tactician for existing and new businesses seeking to grow revenue online. He has extensive experience in sales management, internet marketing, technology operations and business development, and knows how to impact businesses profitability fast. He is considered a Social, Local, and Mobile Media Expert and has been quoted in the Financial Times, Fox Business News, American Journalism Review, Ad Age, Mobile Marketer, WJR-AM, Milwaukee Magazine, The Kelsey Group Blog, WTN, and Presstime Magazine.
Andy has held several senior level business development, technology marketing and sales positions in the software, Internet, automotive retailing and newspaper industries. Andy ran the first group online sales department for Gannett. He ran digital strategy for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and sales for JSOnline and the paid subscription website PackerInsider.
Andy was general manager of citizen media pioneer site Backfence.com and director of business development for Nextron, a Silicon Valley based software developer. Vogel also was consumer product manager for cars.com, where his sales and marketing efforts led to a three-fold increase in sales leads to cars.com customers.
He sits on the Board of Directors and Chairs the Mobile Publishing Committee for the Mobile Marketing Assoc., is on the Board of the IAB's Mobile Center of Excellence, and founded the Milwaukee Interactive Marketing Assoc. He is a frequent industry speaker and judge on advertising creativity.EXPERTISE OVERVIEW
- Mission critical project work
- Advertising Sales Management
- Strategy and Development
- Marketing Management
- B2C and B2B experience
- Staff motivation and management
- Consultant and advertising agency relationship management
- Significant background introducing new revenue into classified verticals
- Product Management
- Business Development
- Trade / Event Marketing
- Presentation delivery ranging from small and informal to formal, large groups (C-level)
- Negotiation and management of major Vendor and Partner relationships
- Management of complex operations in cost-constrained environments
Apr 2011 - Present
Senior Vice President, Digital/Mobile
In this role, I have responsibility for all digital, mobile, branded and converged media executions across the Tribune portfolio that includes 8 major daily newspapers including the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune and 23 broadcast television stations, including WGN America on national cable and KTLA. Andy is a pioneer in developing revenue strategies for new and emerging businesses
Sep 2009 - Apr 2011
Vice President, Emerging Media Sales
Organization wide responsibility for new revenue generation in video, social and mobile as well as traditional digital and emerging formats for Los Angeles Times Network and KTLA.
- Oversaw all local retail territories growing topline revenue y-o-y across 4 regions
- Manage a staff of 9 Managers and Directors, and 68 sales executives
- Grew digital eCPM rates
- Led company wide retail territory restructuring
- Led Tribune wide sales training program redesign
- Launched 6 new products in digital, events, mobile, and print
Nov 2008 - Sep 2009
Director of Sales
Create new sales programs, monitor daily activity, train and coach a national sales staff of up to 55 sales people across nine sales offices. Manage to key performance metrics and ensure that we have a strong results oriented culture that produces and retains only the most elite salespeople available. The Local Job Network operates sites such as MilwaukeeJobs.com, DCJobs.com, SanFranJobs.com, and 900 other such sites across the country.
Jun 2007 - Nov 2008
VP, Advertising and Online Sales
Managed a staff of 12 print/online commission sales representatives and conceived, designed, created and launched an industry acclaimed community website for local arts and entertainment. Created and managed to the first budget in the owner's 10 year history, and created large marketing alliances with the largest entertainment groups in SE Wisconsin. Negotiated branded stages at both Summerfest and the WI State Fair. Created comprehensive training and trained staff on online best practices and sales approaches.
Sep 2006 - May 2007
Built 10 citizen media website groups for Backfence.com in the Chicago marketplace. I grew registrants and page views through viral, word-of-mouth, and one-to-one marketing at 400% of my goal. I directed four employees (2 sales, 1 editorial, 1 marketing) in grassroots efforts to build engaged hyper-local audiences. This was a venture backed initiative. Out of business. Worked with Board of Directors to wind down operations.
Jun 2004 - Sep 2006
Director of Strategic Initiatives/General Sales Manager
Responsible for all new revenue producing ventures, and merger/acquisition strategy and execution. Served as General Sales Manager for Journal Interactive. I oversaw all sales functions for Journal Interactive, generated new revenue programs and ensured swift implementation and profitability. Managed a sales staff of 10 that was team of the year two years in a row and had the highest percentage to goal and highest dollar volume growth in two territories. This team produced five out of 20 President's Club winners out of an ad staff of 134.
- Revenue generation 78% ahead of last year and 19% ahead of budget (increase of 59% over year prior).
- Responsible for sell-through across all print and broadcast online properties (total of six).
- Launched major content and advertising initiatives that led to three New Media Edge Awards for 2004.
- Launched major section redesigns starting in November 2004 and continuing through 2005 for all major revenue producing sections.
- Grew classified revenue 141% year-over-year, cars.com unit count from 29 to 108, apartments.com units from 11 to 51, and job conversion rates that doubled employment revenue.
- Closed on board approved acquisition of MilwaukeeMoms.com website.
Jun 2002 - Jun 2004
Group Sales Manager
Began as the Classified Manager at the Appleton Post-Crescent and then was promoted to Group Sales Manager with responsibility for all online sales across 10 newspapers in the Wisconsin Group. Worked with Advertising Directors and Publishers to ensure budgeted online goals were achieved unit-by-unit across the state.
Primary mission was to drive print and online revenue by indirectly managing a sales force of 115 outside sales reps and 25 inside sales reps working with Ad Directors and a staff of three.
- Put programs in place that lead to meeting all goals in key classified segments online.
- Trained, motivated, and developed energetic and committed sales staff to enhance performance across GWN.
- Selected by Publisher to launch advertising technology products that related to revenue growth across Wisconsin.
- Launched new rate programs and niche publications in automotive and real estate to gain share of small and medium-sized business advertisers to increase marketplace competition.
- Worked with two of Gannett Wisconsin Newspaper's largest advertisers to gain market share and grow revenue.
- Prepared and monitor the department's operating budget.
- Analyzed marketplace and competition to determine most effective pricing and sales strategies.
Dec 2000 - Apr 2002
Director, Business Development
Nextron Communications, Inc.
Responsible for creating strategic alliances and renegotiating key technology partner contracts for this international software development and services company. Out of business.
- Reporting to the CEO, brought strategic sales, funding partners and acquisitions to the board of directors.
- Lead the redeployment of strategic sales channels, and redefined key revenue-driving products and client relationships.
- Redefined contractual relationships for mutual profitability with premier technology partners Oracle, HP/Bluestone, X-Time, Sun and Gateway.
- Worked with Board of Directors to wind down operations.
Apr 1996 - Aug 1998
Product Marketing Manager
World's largest supplier of computing systems to the automotive industry.
- Devised and implemented ADP Dealer Services' media partnership strategies and alliances within ADP's Global Electronic Commerce unit. Lead business development focus on developing products and services, as well as developing a strategy to bundle existing and new products and services.
- Responsible for complete product development, sales, management and marketing for such strategic new products as ADP's Marketing Advisor in partnership with Gannett, and moving ADP's AutoConnect.com consumer automotive website assets into a joint venture with Cox Enterprises (now AutoTrader.com).
Jun 1991 - Apr 1996
Divisional Sales Manager
- Detroit Newspapers - Directed a staff of 29 to consistently surpass budgeted goals, including 24 contract sales specialists producing $50+ million in employment advertising revenue per year.
- Instituted new revenue-producing products including online employment website.
- Created and implemented new advertising strategy during 2-½; year labor strike.
UCLA - Anderson School of Management
Bachelor of Arts in Economics
Michigan State University
Additional management coursework at Wayne State University and the University of Michigan