Charles Town, VA
- Joined a small law firm known as the "Give Me Money" firm, which specialized in transactional attorneys, in 1830
- Worked with "Give Me Money" firm for 8 years before joining the "Get 'Em" firm, specializing in criminal cases, specifically prosecution.
- In 1842, went back to WVUCL for four years to study "Wall Street" firm, before returning to "Get 'Em" firm in 1846
- Lead over twenty five teams to victory in court (Benjamin Southers VS. United States, James Eastman VS. Charles Northrup, etc)
- In 1848, applied to be a district attorney, and became DA for Charles Town, VA in 1849