Director of Communications
USA Cycling, Inc.
As the Director of Communications for the non-profit national governing body for the sport of cycling I direct the activities and staff of the communications department with the goal of growing the brand awareness of USA Cycling and the awareness of the sport of cycling in America.This includes managing effective written and verbal communication; both externally with local and national media and internally amongst various organizational stakeholders. Both strong brand marketing ability and crisis communication expertise are key in helping achieve departmental goals. Relationship building with strategic partnership managers and various stakeholders including event organizers, local associations, coaches, and other Olympic organizations is another key component in achieving our purpose of growing the sport.
- Plans and directs the activities of the communications department including day-to-day management of five-person staff
- Establishes and manages the annual departmental budget
- Governs organization's overall brand including production and placement of integrated marketing campaign
- Established the organization's social media presence, strategically growing its reach into the tens of thousands
- Drives proactive and manages reactive media relations efforts resulting in nearly $3 million in annual publicity value
- Oversees the organization's online presence, increasing traffic nearly 20% from 2010-11
- Manages and contributes to the organization's editorial including writing and editing copy for press releases, web content, feature stories, newsletter content and internal communications.
- Oversees the activities, including contracts and financials, of independent contractors