Ana González

Experiencia profesional

Experiencia profesional
abr 2014 - presente

Software Tester

Make IT Work - Uruguay
ago 2011 - presente

Auxiliar administrativa II

Poder Judicial de la República Oriental del Uruguay
feb 2011 - sep 2011

Assistant Systems Engineer

Tata Consultancy Services
feb 2009 - may 2010

Product Support Frontline Analyst

Sabre Airline Solutions
• Support various Sabre Airline Solutions products, designed specifically for airlines. • Chaos analysis, using diagnose tools, identifying problem areas and recommending corrective measures. • 80% of support done via e-mail, remaining 20% is done over the phone.
abr 2007 - abr 2009

Technical Support Analyst

Sabre Holdings
Technical support provided for several Sabre Travel Network designed specifically for travel agencies. • Provided assistance in connectivity, Java, browser issues, Operating Systems, printers, travel reservations. • 80% of support done over the phone, the rest was provided through e-mail and chat.

Formación académica

Formación académica
2014 - 2015

Tecnicatura en Redes y Software

Universidad Tecnológica del Uruguay
2003 - 2005

Bachillerato en Mantenimiento y Procesamiento Informático

Centro de Educación Técnico Profesional

Habilidades

Habilidades
8
3
PHP
3
SQL
5
HTML
3
MySQL
8
Technical Support

Certificaciones

Certificaciones

Certificate of Proficiency in English

Portafolio