- Using social media for engaging and communicating with people professionally and personally
- Mastering the art of successful gardening!
- Keeping fit outdoors – cycling, running, tennis and walking
- Relaxing in the countryside
- Cooking, socialising with friends and visiting new places
- Avid interest in F1, cars and athletics
- PRWeek/Launch Group ‘Most Entrepreneurial in-house PR team’ 2010
- Thames Water's employee recognition award 2010 ‘Delivering the Customer Experience’, for establishing Twitter as a customer service tool.
- Business in the Community (BitC) 2009 ‘Big Tick’ award for London On Tap
- BitC Example of Excellence Award 2009 in the Responsible Marketing and Innovation category for London On Tap
- Utility Achievement Awards 2008 ‘Marketing Initiative of the Year’ for London On Tap
Amy has worked in the PR industry for five years, specifically within an in-house corporate press office function, gaining excellent media relations and campaign management skills. She has a degree in Public Relations from Bournemouth University and is experienced in creating and delivering award-winning PR strategies and campaigns in local government, tourism and corporate environments. Achievements include managing a high profile CR campaign, establishing and managing the use of social media at Thames Water and being a member of PRWeek’s ‘Most Entrepreneurial In-House PR Team’.
Jan 2008 - Present
Serving 13.6m customers across London and the Thames Valley, Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. Working alongside a fellow Press Officer and reporting into a Press Office Manager, this role involves protecting and enhancing the company’s reputation 24-hours a day. Areas of responsibility include:
- Proactively briefing and reacting to national, regional and trade media on a daily basis
- Creating and delivering integrated and strategic communication plans for all areas of the business, including key announcements and issues
- Establishing and managing the company’s use of social media – to communicate, enagage and provide customer service
- Overseeing media evaluation and reporting results to the company
- Suporting and briefing senior management on key announcements, issues and operational events
- Acting as a company spokesperson for print and broadcast media
- Undertaking out-of-hours press office duty
- Campaign management - specifically an award-winning CR campaign, London On Tap and a £10m community investment programme
- Planning and coordinating company announcements, media and stakeholder events
- Facilitating media visits and filming at key operational sites
- Copywriting and editing of company website and literature
- Commissioning and scripting company films
Dec 2010 - Present
Digital Communications Executive
A newly created role in the Digital Communications team with the responsibility of delivering industry-leading, customer-focussed, 24/7 digital communications to proactively enhance the Thames Water brand with customers, stakeholders and the media. This involves:
- Working with the customer centre and external affairs to devise and deliver an integrated social media strategy to engage with customers and stakeholders and positively influence the perception and reputation of Thames Water.
- Managing Thames Water’s social media profiles, including the Twitter account @thameswater as a customer service tool.
- Monitoring and reporting online 'buzz' about Thames Water
- Supporting the Digital Communications Manager in developing the company’s digital communications strategy.
- Pioneering the use of the digital channel internally to engage and inform employees and identify opportunities to deliver better internal communications through the intranet and social media.
- Researching and implementing ideas for developing new digital content and functionality.
- Analysing effectiveness of website content and making recommendations to improve the customer experience.
- Ensuring that the customer website has the content customers want and need - presented in the most appropriate and helpful format.
Jun 2006 - Dec 2007
French Jones is a public relations and graphic design consultancy based in Henley-on-Thames.
- Promoted from PR Executive to Account Manager in October 2007
- Account managed Bosch Power Tools, Henley Town Council and South Oxfordshire tourism accounts, securing positive national, regional and trade coverage
- Built relationships within the English tourism industry
- Provided copy for marketing material, websites
- Researched, designed and produced community websites and microsites.
- Created and implemented a PR strategy to build local support for Henley On Thames’ entry into the national Britain In Bloom competition
- Advised local organisations and charities on PR strategy
Jun 2004 - Aug 2005
Assistant Communications Officer
Working within the Corporate Communications and Consulation team, responsibilities included:
- Briefing and reacting to national and regional media
- Devising and carring out integrated communication plans and campaigns
- Providing copy for the council’s magazine
- Assisting with customer consultation
Planned and delivered a media plan for the launch of London’s desalination plant, which included a royal visit. This included managing all media activity before and on the day, including on the royal tour. The plan worked, media interest was contained to one day and regulators were kept happy with our ‘low key’ approach.
Promoted the completion of a £250,000 community project 'Down the Plughole' at the London Wetland Centre with a media trip through a live sewer.
Created and took a lead role in implementing a 'BBQ Breakfast' to launch the UK's first ever injection of renewable gas into the grid. The launch resulted in 185 articles, 81% of which were positive and 89% driven by proactive PR.
Created and oversee a blog for one of Thames Water's sewermen. It was launched following his appearance on the BBC's One Show, achieving 2,500 unique views in just three weeks.
2001 - 2006
A practical and theoretical course that provided a balanced vocational curriculum as preparation for either a public relations or more broadly based career.