Executive Consultant 2006 - Present
Transition and implementation management from McKesson, GE, or Siemens to Epic. PMO and Change Leadership development. CIO strategic and tactical work including crisis management and interim management (community and academic). Assess, Prescribe and Implement solutions in single or multi entity environments. Major engagements:
St. Joseph’s Health System – Patterson, NJ 3/2013 – 9/2013
Moderate multi-hospital system with 3 hospitals, 35+ ambulatory sites, 6,000 employees serving northern New Jersey. This organization provides residency programs for 5 affiliated academic institutions. Primary responsibility is to function as interim VP/CIO while providing turnaround services to IT organization.
- Introduce vision built around Soarian product from Siemens and optimize application portfolio.
- Establish PMO, change management & productivity improvements.
- Establish fiscal management standards.
- Review FTE and staffing levels to achieve appropriate project commitments. Focus CPOE & Financials
Inova Health System – Washington, D.C. Metro 6/2011 – 12/2012
Large multi-hospital health system with 5 hospitals, 70+ ambulatory sites, 16,000 employees serving northern Virginia. Main Fairfax campus contained a translational medicine research institute, academic medical teaching environment and VCU school of pharmacy. A new partnership with Aetna for managed care focused on health improvement.
- Functioned as the Sr. Leadership Consultant to the CIO. Implemented several performance improvement initiatives for IT department operations. Advised on Epic as requested.
- Direct responsibility for the hospital legacy and production operations while organization transitioned to Epic. Maintained interaction with each of the hospital presidents and physician staff.
- Completed CPOE and other major implementations.
CSI Tech Healthcare IT – Jacksonville, FL 1/2011 - 5/2011
Small 100M staff augmentation firm with specialties in Epic, Cerner and McKesson. Firm primarily provides staff to larger implementation and consulting firms with desire to own their own consultancy.
- Recruited as Epic Executive Advisor to provide guidance in the establishment of an advisory and implementation practice utilizing key new hires in the Epic space. Prepared Duke Univ. response and proposal in support of the Epic practice.
University of Mississippi Medical Center – Jackson, MS 2009-2010
The only academic medical teaching institution in Mississippi. 4 hospitals, 770 beds, 450 physican practice plan, 12,000 employees. Major turnaround of a historically decentralized IT environment to a centralized model serving Education, Healthcare and Research. Manage budget of $90M in operating, $126M in capital, and 300+ personnel.
- Began in the summer of 2009 as interim COO of IT and asked to remain and develop the Epic implementation plan for the university. Supported Epic contract negotiations, charter, recruitment and hospital readiness preparation.
- Brought in team to focus on stabilization of Seimens revenue cycle management and increased billing by 70%.
- Stabilized SAP student registration environment in conjunction with Univ of MS main campus.
- Re - Implemented Lawson HR, Materials Mgmt, and General Financials
- Supported Stockamp in the implementation of improved patient flow.
- While at UMMC, negotiated the Epic contract, laid out a program charter, implementation plan, and established a transition plan for both staff & legacy systems all in support of an Epic Enterprise implementation.
- Centralized disparate IT organizations in academic and community medical centers while maintaining positive customer feedback and improving service outcomes
Southern Regional Healthcare System – Atlanta, GA 2007-2008 Medium sized cash strapped community hospital serving Clayton county south Atlanta market. Built a second healthplex in southern part of county in attempt to survive fiscal pressures.
- Functioned as interim VP & CIO and formalized project management to guide the implementation of several projects including overall imaging strategy.
- Secured outreach to physician offices using Medicity (Novo).
- Implemented several McKesson Horizon modules and upgraded STAR
- Implemented Project & Portfolio management software.