Millward Brown (a WPP company)
Millward Brown is a leading global research agency specializing in advertising, marketing communications, media and brand equity research. The Human Resources team provides services for 1,000 employees across multiple operating companies in the US and Canada.
HR Manager (2009-Present)
Total Rewards Specialist (2008-2009)
- Developed and implemented a base compensation structure that balances internal equity with market competitiveness. Established consistent job descriptions, internal equity across client-facing and support departments, base salary ranges and a total rewards philosophy. Market data resulted in $80k in market adjustments for entry- and intermediate-level professional roles.
- Researched and selected external benchmark compensation surveys that best fit the industry/competition, job families and jobs. Participated in 16 compensation surveys, matched 80% of jobs to external market data resulting in over 150 data points informing base compensation ranges and rewards philosophy.
- Implemented a merit matrix that resulted in increased differentiation and better distribution of merit dollars based on individual performance. Average award for highest performers rose over 1% without an increase to the merit budget.
- Collaborated with Controller and CFO to restructure the Accounting & Finance department. Tripled the resources dedicated to financial planning and analysis and consolidated all transactional processes from multiple business units into one Shared Services center while decreasing overall headcount by 14%.
- Collaborated with the Senior Vice President and Vice President of Marketing Science to develop a department structure and job descriptions to support the new strategic direction of the department. Created a team of senior-level talent dedicated to client consulting while centralizing operational activities for North America. Resulted in high profile with clients, increased collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Led the transition from a separate vacation, sick and personal days program to a Paid Time Off (PTO) program that resulted in a $1.4M reduction in accrual liability over three years. Combination of general and personalized communications earned many compliments from employees as one of the "best communicated changes."
- Designed and implemented a new onboarding and service recognition program to celebrate employees' contributions from day one through retirement. Increased recognition by 74% while only increasing costs by 33%. Average award cost decreased by 25% after two years by implementing an IRS qualified program.
HR Business Partner
- Strategic partner to Senior Leaders and Managers within Client Service and Business Development groups in Detroit, MI, Toronto, ON, Naperville, IL and Chicago, IL. Advised on wide range of topics including hiring/promotion needs, budgets, performance management, employee development, compensation, management practices, employee satisfaction/engagement and human capital measurement.
- Coached Managers and Senior Leaders on setting expectations, developing objectives, conducting performance discussions, addressing performance deficiencies, giving feedback and providing recognition. Improved performance management resulted in 67% increase in terminations for performance with 20% of the terminations with five or more years of service.
- Heavy employee relations including performance improvement, harassment investigations and conflict resolution.
- Developed and facilitated a behavioral interviewing workshop resulting in documentation of specific qualities and skills necessary for entry-level candidates and standard behavior-based questions for in-person interviews. Combined with a 90-day feedback process, entry-level turnover decreased by 14%.