The Outdoors and Traveling, Family camping, Flying & the EAA, Golf, Hockey, Home improvement projects & Motorcycling
Over 10 Years' Management and Leadership Experience in Manufacturing Operations ◊ Managed Diverse, High Energy Teams from as few as 3 to as many as 75 ◊ Developed and Lead New Projects to Successful Results ◊ Dedicated, Hardworking, Compassionate, & Results Driven Style
Accomplished, results driven manager with the ability to drive success and challenging initiatives. I enjoy working in a dynamic growth oriented environment with emphasis on business planning, manufacturing production and control, quality assurance, customer satisfaction & development, budget planning & capital improvement, personnel development, and Workplace Safety. Computer literate, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio, and proprietary applications. Eight years experience with AutoCAD.
Core Skill Areas
Business Planning and Operational Development, Leadership & Employee Development,
Lean Manufacturing and Continuous Improvement Methodologies, TPM, Safety Culture and Regulatory Compliance, Production Operations, Establishing and Driving Key Performance Indicators & Evaluating Results, and Disseminating Profit & Loss statements.
Sep 2008 - Jan 2009
$2.5+ Billion (in sales 2008), Publicly-Held (NASDAQ:UFPI) www.ufpi.com
Universal Forest Products is the nation's leading manufacturer and distributor of wood and wood-alternative products to retail/dealer, site-built construction, manufactured housing and industrial markets
Production Manager (11/2008-2/2009)
Managed all aspects of production operations to meet cost and volume goals. Developed production schedules and forecasted inventory requirements. Ensured employees were properly trained (Job function, safety, lean principles). Established work cell operation efficiency standards and analyzed workflow and developed improvement recommendations. Ensured plant assets were protected and machinery was properly maintained.
Key Contributions & Achievements:
- Reduced Overhead in the shop thru Continuous Improvement. Process and technology improvements (Virtek laser and slotted table) allowed us to reduce manpower, gain efficiency and add capacity.
May 2005 - Sep 2008
Plant Manager (5/2005-11/2008)
As the Plant Manager I was responsible for the overall management and coordination of plant operations consistent with cost, profit, quality, and productivity objectives. Staffed, developed and coached the production management team, including evaluating performance and initiating corrective action plans. Developed capital expenditure recommendations for site improvement / expansion. Established Quality standards for operations and managed quality improvement initiatives. Managed raw material, in-process and finished goods inventories to drive key performance indicators. Monitored expenses, reviewed P&L and Production Summary statements for performance. Developed and implemented specific plant policies and procedures as required.
Key Contributions & Achievements:
- Increased Production Efficiency by 10%. Achieved thru lean initiatives and capital improvement, investment.
- Lead our Continuous Improvement initiative as Lean Facilitator. Primarily participating in targeted training and education in the areas of value added vs. non value added, waste identification and elimination methods, 5-s, ergonomics, value stream maps, applying lean tools, TPM programs, and developing key metrics.
- Improved Workplace Safety, Decreased Accident frequency rate from just below 9 in 2005 to 3.6 in 2008. Co-chair plant Safety Committee and ensured that plant operations are consistent with company and OSHA policies, practices and procedures.
- Decreased Customer Returns and Allowances as a % of Net Sales by 5%. Pride ourselves on quality from point of sale thru installation.
- Increased Inventory turns by 22%. Reduced overall inventory to less than 60% of net sales and inventory over 90 days old to less that 5% of Net Sales.
- Invited to Participate in the STARZ Program. Corporate training program that selects ten to twelve participants per year to prepare for GMO positions. UFP operates approximately 80 facilities and has roughly 8000 employees so being selected is an honor.
2002 - 2005
Quality Assurance / Engineering Manager (1997-2001)
As a Quality Assurance Manager for Champion I established quality assurance processes to ensure conformance to the building standards. This included coordinating training processes and procedures for new associates, quality control audits both internally and for HBT (NCSBCS, IBTS. Continued development of DAPIA design package in conjunction with production and corporate engineering. Managed a staff of 2 designers and 4 in plant line inspectors.
2001 - 2002
Regional Engineering Liaison
Assisted plants with model plan review, development, and approvals. Acted as Technical Code Advisor and Auditor for production and QC process. Worked with plants regionally to improve process control, efficiency, and conformance to the standards. Worked in conjunction with plants and corporate engineering to develop structural package designs and requirements.
1995 - 1997
Deigned & Developed HUD homes for the Manufactured Housing Industry. Coordinated development of a Modular housing product line. Responsible for the indexing and support of the DAPIA approved drawings. Supported production process with working drawings. In plant System Administrator for corporate MIS.