Jan 2008 - May 2009
Jan 2006 - Dec 2007
- GPA: 3.92
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
Aug 2003 - May 2005
- GPA: 4.0
- Presidential Scholar - based on high school GPA and ACT scores.
- Active member and officer of Phi Theta Kappa - National honor's society of junior colleges
- Member of Red Raven softball team
Jul 2008 - Present
Help A Hungarian Orphan Project
- Sent care packages to 29 Hungarian orphans four times
- Designed a logo and other informational materials for the project
- Recruited and managed 35 volunteers who each helped support a child
- Wrote letters to church elders to raise more than $500 to pay for shipping costs
- Created a media kit and planned a potential fundraising event to help pay for shipping
Jan 2009 - May 2009
STATEments Student-Run PR Firm
- Assisted the director in the operation of the firm and helped contact clients and run meetings.
- Was the account executive for Stillwater Mobile Meals, a nonprofit, and helped create a promotional video for the client
- Was an account member for OKstate Racing and helped plan a recruitment and exposure event for the campus organization
- Created fliers, logos and other promotional materials for OKstate Racing using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop
Jan 2006 - May 2009
Stillwater Church of Christ University Center
- Pitched news releases to several media outlets, including the Stillwater Newspress and The Christian Chronicle, for church events
- Created fliers and brochures using Microsoft Publisher for church events and organizations
- Volunteered for several community service events including Into the Streets, an event to help clean up Stillwater, and the Shack-A-Thon, an event to raise money and awareness for Habitat for Humanity.
Jun 2007 - Jul 2007
Let's Start Talking Mission Trip
- Lived in Hungary for six weeks and immersed myself in another culture by interacting with the native Hungarians - learned how to overcome many communication barriers.
- Recruited people of another language using fliers and face-to-face communication to read the Bible with in English
- Planned weekly parties at which readers and church members could interact
- Raised more than $3700 to pay for the trip by writing letters to friends, family and churches
Jan 2007 - May 2007
Mya Gonzales Foundation
- Planned a Parent's Night Out fundraiser for the nonprofit organization
- Pitched a news release to local newspapers and began an e-mailing campaign to inform people of the event
- Worked with several volunteers who helped with event
- Distributed penny buckets around Stillwater to collect money
- In one month helped raise more than $500 for the organization
Hello! I hope you enjoy my online resume and portfolio. I recently graduated from Oklahoma State University with my master's in mass communication and am ready to work and use my skills and knowledge. My bachelor's is in public relations and I would love to work in any area of public relations or marketing including event planning and coordination, fundraising, media relations or any form of communication. I have strong written and verbal communication skills and much experience using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. I know I would be a good employee for anyone.
- Taught students in Advanced PR Media, a 4000-level class, how to use Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
- Wrote for Oklahoma State University's student newspaper. In this position, which is held by the best writers, I wrote 1-2 news and feature stories a week and was normally given the toughest stories that would take more work and time or were sensitive subjects to cover.
- Attended weekly meetings to contribute story ideas and take new stories and met deadlines for each story.
- Developed interviewing and stronger communication skills and learned to call and talk to people I don't know when finding sources for stories.
- Collected and entered donations into Allegiance, a donation software program.
- Prepared daily deposits of donations.
- Wrote a letter to annual donors to remind them their donation was about to expire.
- Created a flier for the bi-annual pledge drive.
- Communicated with donors via phone, letter and e-mail about any problems or concerns.
- Edited opinion columns for AP style and grammar mistakes two nights a week.
- Designed the opinion page using Adobe InDesign two nights a week.
- Wrote one opinion column a week.
- Assisted with promotions at basketball, baseball and softball games.
- Kept a database of people attending a softball camp held by Olympic gold-medal pitcher Michele Smith.
- Worked and communicated with 15 other student interns as well as several people in the marketing office.