I am a multicultural person committed to individual and professional improvement and to support others along the path. I believe in the power of collaboration to set and achieve new goals. I value my personal and family time as a source to find peace and balance in the midst of everyday challenges.
Aug 2013 - Present
Language Acquisition Specialist
LISD - Lewisville Elementary
Support the work of teachers who have English Language Learners in their classes, using different methods: facilitating professional development, coaching, modeling, co-teaching and promoting other collaboration opportunities i.e.: BIL/ESL Cohort (support and accountability group), Snack & Chat (sharing ideas and resources) and GREAT (Guided Reading Enrichment and Tools).
- Analyze LEP students' data and, according to their needs, work with them to achieve standard based goals.
- Serve as an advocate and mentor for the second language learners and their families. For example: Work with newcomers group on their language skills and cultural adaptation, organized the first Multicultural Festival in our campus, led learning opportunities for parents (book study and technology to support student learning), served as the PTA Parliamentarian for our school.
Meet 100% compliance deadlines for Bilingual/ESL population.
- Translate a variety of documents English-Spanish and support campus goals as needed.
Administer the Elementary Bilingual/ESL Educators (E-BEE) Facebook group.
- Member of Campus Design Team 2013-14 and B.L.T. 2015-16
- Recipient of several Blue Ribbons awards (campus internal award)
Aug 2012 - Jun 2013
Strategic Design Coach
Lewisville ISD - Elementary East Zone
Collaborated with campus administrators to achieve the particular goals of their campuses, i.e.: Supported the work of diverse professional learning communities, facilitated staff learning experiences on a variety of topics, and applied coaching skills.
- Supported elementary teachers designing engaging lessons for their students.
- Designed cross-district staff development opportunities for teachers and paraprofessionals, i.e.: Project Based Learning, Google, Flexible Learning Environment, Diverse Learners, Teachers to Teachers.
- Collaborated with different LISD departments in various capacities.
Aug 2010 - Jun 2012
2nd Grade Bilingual Teacher
LISD - Lewisville Elementary
Beyond the regular responsibilities of the job, I assumed different leadership roles i.e: Member of the PTA-Ways and Means Committee; wrote a few book excerpts about teamwork to provoke thought among teachers and other staff, which leads to maintaining and improving campus climate; acted as mentor teacher for a First Year Teacher; coordinated the campus Geography Bowl for two years.
Established a mentor relationship (Pony-pal mentor) with specific students in need of a role model, contributing to their self-esteem and motivation to study.
Recognized with four Blue Ribbons, internal school award. Two for “Being there”, one for “Choosing my attitude” and another for “Playing” (coordinated after school “Zumba” classes for the teachers).
Aug 2007 - Jun 2010
1st Grade Bilingual Teacher
Lewisville ISD - Southridge Elementary
- Member of the organizer committee of the “Parent Involvement Center”.
- PTA Vice-President (2008 - 2009).
Oct 1999 - Jan 2001
American Field Service (AFS) Multicultural Programs
Supervised operations and oversaw budget for the Hosting, Sending and and Short Programs Coordinations. Also, coordinated different national and international activities involving 55 countries and more than 700 hundred people (staff, students and volunteers )
Jan 1998 - Jan 1999
Chief of Multilateral Affairs
Anti-Drugs National Commission
Acted as an advisor for the creation of the Center of Strategic Analysis, and hosted different meetings with national and international entities and negotiated treaties to coordinate efforts to fight the drug traffic and the money laundering.
Oct 1991 - Dec 1997
Venezuelan Defense Ministry
Analyzed raw information and data to produce materials that support the President's and his cabinet's decision making process about national security and defense issues.
Jan 1996 - May 1996
Public Administration Part-time Professor
University Institute Nueva Esparta
Taught democracy, government structure and constitutional law to Civil Engineering and Business Administration students.
- School's Ambassador to the Superintendent Teacher Council.
- Parent Ambassador for the Spanish Immersion program.
- Collaborated in the selection and translation of the words used as part of LISD Academic Vocabulary Program 2015-16.
- Served as a volunteer translator for Class Dojo (behavior management website and app).
- Screened and rated some of the proposals to be presented at the National Association for Bilingual Education (NABE) national conference in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Member of the Action Team Accountability (2011). LISD Strategic Planning Process. Collaborated with different LISD stakeholders to design an accountability system that transcends state/national mandates and reflects the local values and expectations.
- Recipient of Teacher Technology Grant (2010-11)
- Recipient of Teaching Grant (2007-08)