A lifelong Democrat with a proven commitment to progressive values, I bring a wealth of campaign experience to the table: I have worked in both issue advocacy and electoral politics, to elect candidates and pass ballot initiatives. In this time, I have filled a number of roles -- intern, canvasser, organizer, communications director, field director, and campaign manager -- and I'm excited to tackle my next challenge. Whether the task is crafting an overarching campaign plan or proofreading a press release, I have the skill set to accomplish it efficiently and effectively.
Aug 2012 - Nov 2012
Communications Director, Field Director
- Wrote both general and issue-specific message points and ensuring all campaign communications adhered to those points.
- Authored stump and audience-specific speeches to disseminate campaign messaging.
- Created communications calendar to emphasize key issues at strategically valuable times.
- Made door raps reflect general campaign messaging and new campaign developments.
- Introduced reporting system to determine whether field program met daily and weekly goals, and to gauge overall progress toward campaign-wide goals.
- Re-targeted walk universe and walk calendar based on the number of persuadable voters, voter density, and strategic importance to campaign of certain precincts.
- Won by six-point margin in a 47.3% DPI district.
Jan 2012 - Aug 2012
- Wrote and directed execution of the comprehensive campaign plan, including weekly field, communications, and finance targets.
- Directed creation of both weekly and daily field calendars.
- Managed team of over a dozen staffers and interns, as well as over 50 volunteers.
- Raised over $60,000, knocked over 18,000 doors, and made over 4,000 calls in State House primary.
- Won 50.2% of the vote, an absolute majority in a four-way race.
Jul 2011 - Nov 2011
Writer, Editor, Organizer
- Authored content for the convention website.
- Edited postcards and letters sent to MDP members to boost convention attendance.
- Wrote talking points for convention's keynote address.
- Assisted with day-of logistics to ensure the convention's smooth operation.
Oct 2011 - Nov 2011
Canvasser, Operations Assistant
We Are Ohio
- Used VAN to edit, rename, and recut turf.
- Helped administer a get-out-the-vote payroll operation of roughly 700 new hires in the last week.
- Utilized Google spreadsheets to track employee records.
Jan 2011 - Oct 2011
Campaign Organizer, Communications Coordinator
Clean Water Action
- Drafted issue-specific messaging points for each MCWA campaign.
- Created comprehensive communications calendar to track emails, social media, press releases, and events.
- Administered creation and sending of bi-weekly statewide email newsletter.
- Learned Salsa Labs, moving timeline for mass email process from four days to one day.
Aug 2010 - Nov 2010
- Increased weekly field numbers by 100-300% by using Google Groups to train, recruit, and sign up volunteers.
- Prepared weekly field calendar based on NCEC precinct data to prioritize strategically important precincts and areas with high numbers of persuadable voters and high voter density.
- Apprised volunteer corps of new campaign developments, updated talking points, and weekly walk schedule.
May 2010 - Aug 2010
- Principally authored most campaign communications -- speeches, blog posts, policy position papers, social media posts, ad copy, and door-to-door walk literature.
- Oversaw print and online advertising program; prepared and adhered to advertising budget.
- Wrote ad copy and coordinated with graphic designer on ad layout and logistics.
- Served as liaison with local news media on press releases and media advisories.
Feb 2009 - May 2009
Office of State Representative Rebekah Warren
- Drafted House resolutions, letters of congratulations, and tributes to constituents.
- Oversaw constituent email process by replying, printing, and filing the correspondence record.
- Read, summarized, and briefed Representative Warren on policy reports and studies.
Sep 2005 - Nov 2005
Michigan Democratic Party Minimum Wage Campaign
- Consistently in the top third of canvassers in terms of money raised.
- Frequently exceeded nightly fundraising goals.
- Raised $220 (more than double the expected amount) my first night.
- Did research during off-hours, using this knowledge to become more effective.
- Interacted with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Learned to be persistent and persuasive.
Sep 2005 - Dec 2008
Bachelor of Arts
- 100% responsible for financing my college education.
- Worked no less than twenty hours per week throughout my college career.