I often get the call when someone has an urgent and immediate communications problem to solve: "We need a tri-fold brochure on 'X' ASAP;" or, "We need a white paper on 'Y,' like yesterday."... And I'm glad to over-deliver on those tactical solutions -- and sometimes even be called a life saver. But that's just scratching the surface: I'm also focused on your big picture and your long-term success. I dig for the answer to the question, "What is it that you want your audience to think, feel and do after they've experienced your communications?"And then, what's the best way to take them from where they are to the more informed or engaged state where you'd like them to be?As master strategist Sun Tzu put it: "Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."By understanding your communications campaign strategy (or helping you to develop one), I can make sure we choose only the most appropriate tactics for your audience, and that we use them precisely and effectively to achieve your greater goals. So tell me about your goals. Together, we can bring voice to your ideas so that you communicate with clarity, credibility and power!
2008 - Present
Communications and Content Consultant
- Write frequently on a freelance basis about sustainability topics including green business strategy, hybrid and electric vehicles, and information technology.
- Published guidebooks 31 Ways to Green Your Business and 41 1/4 Creative Content Ideas (both available on Amazon.com) and am currently developing a study manual aligned with CompTIA's "Green IT" certification requirements.
- Work with clients on content strategy and execution to achieve their business goals. Employ writing, editing, video, web, and social media skills to manage projects and produce deliverables on tight time schedules.
Nov 2008 - May 2011
- Developed social media rationale and framework for executive leadership
- Applied project management skills to meet Business Plan objectives for sustainability, information technology, and service delivery
- Engaged internal and external audiences with multimedia presentations delivered in person and via the Web
- Wrote senior executive communications including speeches, scripts, funds development, and special projects
- Copy edited internal, benefits and health care communications, thereby ensuring legal compliance, readability and accuracy, as well as conformance to Chicago Manual of Style guidelines.
- Managed project tasks from storyboard to delivery, including an award-winning mini-site that promoted healthier lifestyles to members, aiding in reduction of long-term care costs
- Crafted and edited articles, fact sheets, and other collateral to communicate company Green Initiative; efforts contributed to Philadelphia Green Business certification and Communitas Award
2000 - 2007
2007 - Producer, Business Channel Manager, Philly.com,Philadelphia, Pa.
·Helped build and launch modern, high-volume content management system
·Coordinated with two newsrooms on placement of articles, images, and video
·Wrote articles, shot, edited, and uploaded video to Philly.com Web site
·Managed product launch of well-received Top 100 Businesses online special
·Oversaw 1-year traffic increase of nearly 80% to online Business section
2005-2007 - Business e-newsletter Producer, The Philadelphia Inquirer
2000-2006 - Business Writer, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, Pa.
1997 - 2000
Professional Training Courses
See the Awards, Certificates and Training area to the right for a partial listing of my ongoing professional development activities.