Teacher Training and Experience
Franco-American Teachers in Training Institute France
This is the first program of its type, a teacher in training exchange with France. The program has teachers from France coming to Akron, Ohio and working in the local school systems, and a reciprocation of the exchange having student teachers from Ohio teaching in the French school system. I was a part of the first group to be sent to teach in France.
Varoquaux Lycee (High School), Tomblaine, France
Subject Areas Taught: Mathematics (in English) to all grade levels of the Lycee.
Jean Moulin College (Middle School), Tomblaine, France
Subject Areas Taught: Mathematics and Sciences
- Part of the pilot program being the first group of students to work in the French Schools.
- Collaborated with the French educational system in an effort to improve educational practices and learn from each other’s strengths, both American and French.
- Taught mathematics and science in the language of English to French students.
- Implementation of my personal tablet PC into the classroom lessons.
- Informal training on the tablet PC to educators in the school.
- Worked with Jean Moulin College in designing a more handicap accessible school environment.
Northwest Middle School Canal Fulton, Ohio
Student Teacher, Eighth Grade Mathematics and Science
- Integrated the two subject areas of math and science by crossing ideas into both of the students’ classes. For example the discussion of mean, median and mode in the math classroom and implementing its use in the science experiments later that day.
- Implementation of a variety of instructional strategies to include cooperative and active learning.
- The use of a Smartboard in both the mathematics and science classroom.
- Perkins Middle School
Taught two lessons in a seventh grade science classroom. My first work with the smartboard.
- Alliance High School
Taught several lessons to a twelfth Grade Basic Mathematics classroom using
the smartboard. Worked with one of the premier instructors of the smartboard in Northeast
Ohio, Mr. Bret Gensburg.
- Stewart Elementary School
Observations and work with students at Northeast Ohio’s only African-centered school.
Volunteered to assist with their field day activities.
- Findley Academy
Worked with a small group of fourth graders to develop reading skills.
- Copley Middle School
Worked with an after school program with fifth grade students as a math proficiency test
- Akron Alternative Academy
Tutored high school students in preparation in the Ohio Graduation Test, in all subject areas.
People to People Summer 2006
People to People came to the University of Akron in hopes of creating partnerships with its teacher trainees to volunteer in their summer and spring break domestic programs. I was part of the first group to participate in this program.
Facilitator for the People to People Ambassador Program for domestic Middle Level Students, Spring 2006 Washington D.C.
Facilitator for the People to People Ambassador Program for international and domestic Middle School and High School level students, Summer 2006
- Responsible for a group of 14 students during collective and individualized activities.
- Worked with students on leadership skills in line with the curriculum set forth by People to People; Such as community service and reflections on historical works by leaders with a focus on implementation into the students’ conception of the world.
- Worked with both domestic and international students, making accommodations for the students’ individual backgrounds.
Other Educational Volunteer Work
- Judged several events for the Akron regional Science Olympiad competition held at the University of Akron in 2007
- Judged Firestone High School’s Science Fair in 2007
Honors and Awards
- Fulbright Scholar
- Society of Manufacturing Engineer Midwestern Robotic Competition Second Place award for the black scrabble event
- University of Akron Dean list 2006-2007
- Certificate of Excellence from ETS for Praxis score on the Elementary Education: Content Knowledge Exam
- Acknowledgment for my work in Franco-American Teachers-in-Training Program from:
The United States Ambassador to France, Craig R. Stapleton
The French Department of Education
The United States Department of State
The Fulbright Commission