Graduated with honours
Postgraduate Medical Education - Internal Medicine
University of Calgary
MSc Clinical Trials
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Undergraduate Medical Degree
National University of Ireland, Galway
Clinical Trials Coordinator
University of Alberta
Responsible for the day-to-day management of clinical trials in the division of cardiology. Responsibilities include: screening patients, enrolling patients, consenting patients, data collection, data entry, ethics application and liaison with sponsors.
Responsible for creating new content and editing existing information for this USMLE Step 2 product that is highly valued by medical students.
Responsible for the creation of medical content for PocketBody (an iPad anatomy product) application.
2019 CCS-Bayer Resident Vascular Award - $15,000
2017 University of Calgary Internal Medicine Resident Wellness Award
2017 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2016 University of Calgary PGME Resident Research Travel Grant
2015 Vasco da Gama Movement Student Scholarship
2014 dotMED MPS Student Scholarship
2014 Canadian Medical Association “Leadership begins with self awareness”
2014 INMED 7th Annual Scientific Meeting ‘Best Student Poster’
2013 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Academy Have a Heart Bursary Award
2013 NUI Galway University Scholar
2013 AIHS Summer Studentship Award
2012 CIHR Health Professional Student Research Award
2012 WestREN MSD Research Bursary
2012 NUI Galway University Scholar
CCS Fitness to Drive and Fly Guideline Committee
Active (non-voting) participant in the development of the guideline.
CCS Trainee Committee
Outreach Team Leader
Responsible for developing and implementing a social media strategy that actively engages our members and facilitates the dissemination of information.
Internal Medicine Resident Journal Club
Responsible for the overall organization and logistics of the internal medicine journal club at the University of Calgary. Involved as a co-lead from 2016-2017 and lead in 2017-2018.
University of Calgary Admissions Committee
Participated in file review for the undergraduate MD program and the Internal Medicine Residency Program at the University of Calgary.
An active peer reviewer for several journals including: Canadian Medical Association Journal, Medical Education, Journal of General Internal Medicine, British Journal of General Internal Medicine, Medical Student Research Journal and the International Journal of Medical Students. In addition have worked with Wiley-Blackwell and Oxford University Press, providing feedback on drafts of medical related textbooks and providing a student perspective. Publons profile available at https://publons.com/author/449648/pishoy-gouda#
International Journal of Medical Students
Involved in the editorial process of this online, open access journal. This includes over seeing peer review process, providing authors feedback, proof reading manuscripts and other editorial responsibilities.
Association of Medical Students in Ireland
Founding member of this newly established national organisation that aims to represent Irish medical students on a national and international level, promote student well-being and increase collaboration between Irish medical institutions.
NUI Galway Medical Society
Responsible for the overall organisation and day to day running of the society. Our events included a range of social, academic and charitable activities, which can be seen at http://www.nuigmedicalsociety.com. In addition to this, served at the education officer in 2012-2013 and the medical advisor the Union of Students in Ireland 2013-2014. In addition, have held the position of class representative from 2011-2015/
- Gouda P., Steinhubl S. How Digital Health Will Deliver Precision Medicine. Digital Health: Scaling Healthcare to the World. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-61446-5_14.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Gouda P, Sivakumaran S, Senaratne J. Electrical Organisation of Torsades de Pointes into Monomorphic Ventricular Tachycardia. European Heart Journal - Case Reports [Accepted]
- Gouda P, Wang W, McGillion M, Graham M. Underutilization of Peri-Operative Screening for Cardiovascular Events After Non-Cardiac Surgery in Alberta. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. [In Press]
- Gouda P, Welsh R, Padarath M, Grégoire J, Hegele R, Gupta M. Landscape of Lipid Management Following an Acute Coronary Syndrome: Survey of Canadian Specialists. CJC Open. 2020
- Gouda P, Paterson C, Meyer S, Shanks M, Butler C, Taylor D, Tyrell B, Welsh R. Effects of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation on Frailty and Quality of Life. CJC Open. 2020.
- Sepehrvand N, Alemaychu W, Das D, Gupta A, Gouda P Ezekowitz J. Underrepresentation of women in cardiovascular randomized clinical trials. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 36.6 (2020): 969-e7.
- Sepehrvand N, Alemaychu W, Das D, Gupta A, Gouda P, Ghimire A, Du A, Hatami S, Babadagli H, Verma S, Kashour Z, Ezekowitz J. Trends in the Explanatory or Pragmatic Nature of Cardiovascular Clinical Trials Over two Decades. JAMA cardiology 2019 Nov 1;4(11):1122-8.
- Quer G, Gouda P, Galarnyk M, Topol E, Steinhibl S. Inter-and intraindividual variability in daily resting heart rate and its associations with age, sex, sleep, BMI, and time of year: Retrospective, longitudinal cohort study of 92,457 adults. Plos one 15.2 (2020): e0227709.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Update on the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Heart Failure. Current Opinion in Cardiology. 2019. 1;34(2):202-6.
- Gouda P, O'Flynn S, Cantillon P. Desires versus Reality of Medical and Health Science Summer Student Research Opportunities. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2018 Aug 1;187(3):817-20.
- Gouda P, Ezekowitz J. Insights on the use of Twitter at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018 Jun 1;34(6):813-e7.
- Gouda P., Kirk A., Sweeney A., O'Donovan D. Attitudes of medical Students Towards Volunteering in Emergency Situations. Disaster medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2019
- Gouda P., Veenhuyzen G., Har B. Fifty-year old woman with lightheadedness. Heart. 2017 Aug 1;103(15):1224
- Gouda P., Weilovitch L., Kanani R., Har B. Case Report and Review of Nonischemic Spontaneous Papillary Muscle Rupture Between 2000 and 2015. Echocardiography. 2017 May;34(5):786-90.
- Gouda P., Gouda J., Butler C., Welsh R. Late Presentation of an Anomalous Left Coronary Artery from the Pulmonary Artery treated with Conservative Surgical Management with Long-term Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging Follow-up. SAGE Open Medical Case Reports. 2017 Feb 23;5:2050313X17695719.
- Gouda P., Das D., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. The Impact and Implications of Twitter for Cardiovascular Medicine. Journal of cardiac failure. 2017 Mar 1;23(3):266-7.
- Cronin T., Gouda P., McDonald C., Hallahan B. A comparison of mental health legislation in five developed countries: A narrative review. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. 2017 Dec;34(4):261-9.
- Gouda P., Brown P., Rowe B., McAlister F., Ezekowitz J. Insights into the Importance of the Electrocardiogram in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. European journal of heart failure, 18(8), 1032-1040.
- Gouda P., Chua J., Langan D., Hannon T., Scott A., O'Regan A. A Decade of Domiciliary Non-Invasive Ventilation in the West of Ireland. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2017 May 1;186(2):505-10.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Sloane P., Murphy A. Medical Student and General Practitioner Perceptions of Challenges in General Practice in Ireland. Irish medical journal. 2016 May 10;109(5):412-.
- Gouda P., Cormican M. Virtual Sorting Hat Technology for Matching of Candidates to Residency Training Programs. Medical education. 2016 Dec;50(12):1249-52.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Push and Stay Factors affecting Irish Medical Student Migration Intentions. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2017 Feb 1;186(1):25-31.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Medical Student Understanding of Irish Intern Year. Irish Medical Journal. 2016 Apr 11;109(4):387.
- STARSurg Collaborative (Site Lead - Gouda P.). (2016). Multicentre prospective cohort study of body mass index and postoperative complications following gastrointestinal surgery. British Journal of Surgery. 2016 Aug;103(9):1157-72.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Gouda J., Boland J., Geoghegan R. Paediatric Learning in a Clinical Attachment: Undergraduate Medical Students’ Perspectives. Irish Journal of Medical Science. 2016 May 1;185(2):413-21.
- Niethammer K., Gouda P., Moylett E. A Pilot Study of the Effect of a Change in the Scheduling of Canadian Medical Licensing Examinations on Two Cohorts of Students Studying in Ireland. International Journal of Medical Students. 2015 Mar;3(1):40-4.
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. (2015). Ireland’s Medical Brain Drain: Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. Human Resources for Health. 2015 Dec;13(1):11.
- Gouda P., Fanous S., Gouda J. Challenges Faced by International Medical Student Due to Changes in Entrance Exam Eligibility. International Journal of Medical Students. 2014;3(1), 70-71.
- Gouda P., Ezekowitz J. Do Anticoagulants or Antiplatelet Drugs Have a Role in Treating Heart Failure in the Absence of Atrial Fibrillation? Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2013;94(4), 435–438.
- Gouda P. Evidence-Based Tweeting in Cardiology: Unanswered questions and future directions. JACC: Heart Failure. 2018 May 31;6(5):439-40.
- Gouda P. The Need for Logbooks to Evolve in the Undergraduate medical setting. Perspectives on medical education. 2016 Feb 1;5(1):65.
- Gouda P., Bainey K., Welsh R. The demise of Morphine Oxygen Nitroglycerin Aspirin (MONA). Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2016 Dec 1;32(12):1578-e7.
- Gouda P. Response to Medical Students View on Selection Tools for Medical School. Irish Medical Journal. 2015;108(4), 98.
- Esmail T., Gouda P. Impact of Changes in Canadian Postgraduate Training on the Irish Health Service. Irish Medical Journal. 2016 Jan;108(1), 28
- Gouda P. Perspective on Studying Abroad. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2014 Sep 16;186(13):1017-8.
- Gouda P., Bakhet M. Enhancing the Student Surgical Learning Experience. International Journal of Medical Students. 2015;2(2):77-8.
- Gouda P., Campion J. Technology Trends in Medical Education. International Journal of Medical Students. 2014;2(1):26.
- Gouda P. When doctors go on strike, where do the medical students go? Irish Medical Journal, 2014;107(2) 59.
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L (2013). Treat or Refer? Factors affecting GP decisions. Forum. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253650893_Treat_or_Refer_Factors_affecting_GP_decisions
- Gouda P. (2013) Ma’am, Can you lift your breast please? StudentBMJ. 2013 Dec 1;21.
- Gouda P, Savu A, Bainey K, Welsh, R, Kaul P, Sandhu R. Real-World Evidence on Short- and Long-Term Outcomes for Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients With A Prior History of Atrial Fibrillation. European Society of Cardiology Congress. Online 2020. [Rapid Fire Abstract].
- Gouda P., Aggarwal S., Martin B., Hauer T., Arena R., Galbraith D., Knudtson M., Wilton S., Har B. Incorporating Competitive Endurance Event Training in Cardiac Rehabilitation - Is it safe? Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2017. [Moderated Presentation]
- Gouda P., Bishay P., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. Science and Twitter: The Canadian Cardiology Congress in 140 Characters. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2017. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Das D., Clark A., Ezekowitz J. The Impact of Social Media on Cardiovascular Medicine: Insights into Twitter's Sphere of Influence. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Montreal 2016. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Paterson C., Meyer S., Shanks M., Butler C., Taylor D., Tyrell B., Welsh R. Quality of Life and Frailty following Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Montreal 2016. [Highlighted Poster]
- Gouda P., Podder M., Rowe B., McAlister F., Armstrong P., Ezekowitz J. Insights into the Importance of the ECG in Patients with Acute Heart Failure. Canadian Cardiology Congress. Vancouver 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Kitt K., Gouda P., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Leaving the Emerald Isle: factors Influencing Migration Intentions Among Medical Students. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students. Dublin 2014. [Oral Presentation]
- Heavey L., Gouda P., Moylett E. Susceptibility Patterns of Urinary E.Coli to Amoxicillin-Clavulanic Acid in the Paediatric Setting 2005-2013. Irish Paediatric Association Annual Meeting. Dublin 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Irish Medical Brain Drain – Survey of the Migration Intentions of Irish Medical Students. StudentTalks. Galway 2014. [Oral Presentation]
- Gouda P., Kitt K., Evans D., Goggin D., McGrath D., Last J., Hennessy M., Arnett R., O’Flynn S., Dunne F., O’Donovan D. Off to Greener Pastures – A Survey of Irish Medical Students. Irish Network of Medical Educators 7th Annual Scientific Meeting. Belfast 2014. [Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. 14th Annual Research Conference Sligo Regional Hospital. Sligo 2013.[Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P., Mahambo C., Coyle E., Ui Ghloinn S., Walkin S., Quinn R., Glynn L. Irish GP Referral Rates and Influencing Factors. International Conference for Healthcare and Medical Students. Dublin 2013.[Poster Presentation]
- Gouda P. Ramifications of Increasing Irish Medical School Class Sizes: a students perspective; Irish Network of Medical Educators 6th Annual Scientific Meeting. Dublin 2013. [Invited Speaker]
Research in Progress
- Systematic Screening of Peripheral Arterial Disease in Patients with Chronic Coronary Artery Disease.
- Multi-centre, International, cross-sectional study which aims to enroll 600 participants to determine the incidence of peripheral arterial disease in patients with coronary artery disease and test the concordance of multiple diagnostic modalities
- Currently awaiting Health Canada Approval and aims to begin recruiting in 2021.
- Long-term Outcomes for Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients With Prior History of Atrial Fibrillation
- Analysis of >31,000 ACS admission assessing the impact of atrial fibrillation on short- and long-term outcomes
- Manuscript with coauthors
- Residual Cardiovascular Risk Following an Acute Coronary Syndrome in a Real-World Population.
- Analysis of >31,000 ACS admission assessing the residual cardiovascular risk of secondary events and the impact of commonly observed comorbidities
- Manuscript with coauthors
- Validation of Hospital Frailty Risk Index in the Perioperative period.
- Analysis of >375,000 non- cardiac surgeries in Alberta examining the utility of the Hospital Frailty Risk Score that uses administrative data in predicting adverse outcomes
- Statistical analysis underway
- An Externally Validated Prediction Tool for Peripheral Arterial Disease in Patient with Coronary Artery Disease
- Analysis of participants in COMPASS trial and Alberta COVD registry to develop and validate a clinical prediction tool for peripheral arterial disease in patients with coronary artery disease.
- Manuscript with co-authors
Analysis of the Research Ethics Board Approval Process in Multisite Cardiovascular Clinical Trials in Canada.
- Analysis of clinical trials in Canada to describe the ethical approval process in multisite trials and characteristics associated with delays in ethical approval
- Study protocol in development
- Reperfusion Strategies in Patients with ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction and Previous Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Comparison of reperfusion strategies (pharmacoinvasive versus primary percutaneous coronary intervention) in STEMI patients with a previous history of coronary artery bypass surgery
- Awaiting statistical analysis
- Estimating Prevalence and Outcomes of Familial Hypercholesterolemia Using LDL-Cholesterol Cut-offs in the Simplified Canadian Definition
- Using data from the COVD registry will be estimating the prevalence of familial hypercholesterolemia and long-term outcomes in patients with atherosclerotic disease including peripheral arterial disease and coronary artery disease
- Awaiting statistical analysis
- Rivaroxaban in Type 2 Myocardial Infarctions: A feasibility, placebo-controlled, randomized controlled trial
- Received the CCS-Bayer Resident Vascular Research Award to conduct a 100 participant feasibility trial of low-dose rivaroxaban in patients with a type two myocardial infarction
- Awaiting Health Canada and Ethics Approval